Losing the will to play Cricket 2004, lacks realism

mikehextall

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Ok here I go ive held this back for a long time but im now going to tell u exactlly whats missing from Cricket 2004 to make it better.

Playing and missing against pace bowlers, u dont see it at all apart from on a green wicket where its seaming square or a one day game where the computers swinging wildly. The ball doesnt need to seam a mile, in real life that ball can move less than an inch to beat the bat or take the edge

Swing and Seam, we see it but its so rigid in its appearance, it either seams along way or not at all, and only on green wickets, ive been watching Australia vs New Zealand on the flatest track ever yet even into day 3 it was still moving a little off the seam, we see none of that on cricket 2004. Swing bowling is another, ive had to adjust Matthew Hoaggard to be a 65mph swing bowler just to make it realistic cos otherwise he doesnt swing it, we need a touch of swing for all bowlers.

Edges and appeals, its eaither edged and caught or its four through extra cover, where is the play and miss that all the slips are certain he edged, but the umpire says not out, the TV replay that shows he nicked it??

Playing the spinners, To be fair i was quite impressed with the play against spinners like the new bat pad catching, but again its either bat pad and out or LBW, wheres the ball that pops up off the knee roll thats take at silly point and all around the bat think hes hit it but the umpire says not out?

LBW, we hardly see any of these when were bowling probably cos the ball never moves off the pitch to hit the pad, if its straight the cpu hits it, its its not he leaves it so we never see lbw apart from when they shoulder arms to straight balls

Shouldering Arms, what is this ridiculous shouldering arms and letting the ball thump into the front leg, can u imagine Michael Vaughan doing that 4 out of 6 balls to Brett Lee and having a 95mph ball hit him on the leg 4 times in 1 over??? the idea of shouldering arms is to LEAVE the ball, not pad it away, the ball needs to miss the pad and fly through to the keeper

Field placings, this isnt too bad but i recommend an editor the same as the old International Super Star Cricket on the SNES, where you could pick fielders up and place them anywhere on the field of play. Times ive had the cpu poping it into the air yet theirs no field setting to put a fielder to catch it, so annoying

Wicket Keeper, after i finally got they byes big to disappear i realised that what the wicket keeper was missig was the ability to stand up to the stumps to the swingers and even the medium-fast bowlers. In one day internationals or National League games i want your keeper up to the stumps to that vital stumping, but then again when do u ever see the cpu charge a seam bowler???

Bowlers run ups, this is a bit of a silly one but perhaps an adjustment to the run ups so that different players run up differently and the ability to bowl wide on the crease or get close to the stumps like Glen Mcgrath

Right im finished, never would i expect a cricket game to include all that ive said but perhaps if the developers put a bit more thought into the realism of the game and not just the graphics we would all enjoy it more.

Thanks for your time

Mike

gold639

International Coach
Yeah me too I only get out LBW or bowled.(or the odd caught behind)

Radaga

International Coach
it is possible to change a lot all of these in the donfig editor, but changing one may make another worse, too bad that EA take about 5mins to test the game

ashwinkm

Club Cricketer
I am playing with tutsis patch and i dont have a lot of the problems that you have talked about. I get edges, lbws and batsmen playing and missing. the ball swings more on green pitches but I can get a little swing even on a hard pitch and sometimes get the batsmen to play and miss.

Aussies r tops

Club Cricketer
i think u r right in saying it lacks realism in some areas, but to me it makes me want to try to use the editors and patches etc. and even try (and i mean try as i am hopeless) to make my own small things that i am sorta capable of to make it better.

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors
Agreed. Cricket on the PC is just going to have to wait until one of the new games is released. I have these periods of time where I can play CK2004 for a while, but then I lose interest and put it down for about 2 months. It just doesn't cut the mustard, no matter what modifications I try.

the twin

Club Cricketer
To be honest, I'm also thoroughly sick of this game.

Except

If you can, try human vs human.
Its not really any more realistic, but you are against someone who can match you strategically, and it can get quite fun

fardin

PC Awards 2005 Most Improved Member
if it was online' i would challange twin for a game let's see how much of talent he got with this game'

gold639

International Coach
Yeah...I play the game with my mates on the PS2.Lots of fun..as you are playing a human,you really have to think about your next decision.

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Yea against a mate is fun, otherwise the game is now a pile of tosh. Especially when football manager 2005 is out :)

Users who are viewing this thread