Mar 2 - England v Ireland

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
The cricinfo preview suggests that if Stuart Broad comes back in it will be for Jimmy Anderson, not Shahzad. I would have thought they'd give Jimmy a couple more matches to show that he's in decent nick. Then again, he conceded some big runs in the Aussies series too.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Strauss departs for 34 on his 34th birthday. :p England going well, Pietersen looking well settled at the crease.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
The cricinfo preview suggests that if Stuart Broad comes back in it will be for Jimmy Anderson, not Shahzad. I would have thought they'd give Jimmy a couple more matches to show that he's in decent nick. Then again, he conceded some big runs in the Aussies series too.

Cricinfo got it wrong :p
Looks like another thrashing coming up, England are flying and KP is starting to deliver as an opener. Unless the Irish batsmen can make 300 odd this won't be close.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
And as you posted Syl, Strauss departs!!

Nice line on Cricinfo.. Strauss departs on 34 on his 34th birthday

Sureshot

Executive member
330 on the cards here. Powerplay just started and Bell and Trott looking in very good nick.

Brook

Club Captain
Call me an old cynic but this isn't getting chased down.

Owzat

International Coach
Anyone explain why Yardy was sent in with bigger/better hitters behind him in the order?!??! (besides Strauss being a wooden captain) Has anyone told Strauss that the team doesn't have to bat in the order on the teamsheet? Something he should know since he employs a nightwatchman too often, then again maybe that's why he sent Yardy in...................... ;)

Sureshot

Executive member
327-8 in the end. It ended with a bit of a whimper and I think we could have got 350, but good last 5 overs from Ireland. Still think it will be enough of a total.

Owzat, An ODI night watchman? Where's Hoggy when you need him?

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Decent five overs from Ireland here but the rest of the innings was played out with consumate ease.

Anyone explain why Yardy was sent in with bigger/better hitters behind him in the order?!??! (besides Strauss being a wooden captain) Has anyone told Strauss that the team doesn't have to bat in the order on the teamsheet? Something he should know since he employs a nightwatchman too often, then again maybe that's why he sent Yardy in......................

Yardy's sent in as he's quite good at unorthodox shots behind the wicket rather than the big hitting. As proven by the end of the innings its not always big hitting that gets the boundaries.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I think ideally you send in a clean striker before the unorthodox bloke. It's not necessarily big slogs that win, but a good drive or pull is still highly appreciated.

----------

They might have done it differently, but it was always going to be their Achilles heel. That's where they're vulnerable and apparently inflexible.

Owzat

International Coach
Decent five overs from Ireland here but the rest of the innings was played out with consumate ease.

Yardy's sent in as he's quite good at unorthodox shots behind the wicket rather than the big hitting. As proven by the end of the innings its not always big hitting that gets the boundaries.

Didn't prove anything in the end, two batsmen made a run a ball or better while two made a run every other ball. Perhaps the attempt to "do the unorthodox" isn't always the best, sometimes working ones and twos and hitting out in an orthodox way is as important as "unorthodox" if not more.

Then again look at these stats (I know you all luv 'em ;) )

ENG 257/2 (40 overs, rpo 6.42)
ENG 327/8 (50 overs, rpo 6.54)

Just 70 runs off the last 10 overs at 7.00 rpo having started with eight wickets in hand and a run rate of 6.42 already achieved (works out at an increase of an extra six runs for every 10 overs bowled)

I do like this comment on cricinfo :

"So Collingwood and Prior, the two biggest culprits in England's failure to force victory against India, are reunited "

Eng 327/8 (50.0 ov, GP Swann 9*, JF Mooney 4/63) - Innings break | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Sureshot

Executive member
I saw that and hated it, I think Strauss and Bell were the ones that started the collapse. It's always going to be harder for those coming in to hit the ball.

70 from the last 10 is average, at best.

Users who are viewing this thread