Mar 26 - Sri Lanka v England (Quarter-Final 4)

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Odds from bet365

Sri Lanka v England - PCA Stadium, Mohali

Easy enough for the lankans if one of either Sangakkara or Jayawardene gets going otherwise their fragile middle order will be exposed.

Owzat

International Coach
Can't see England winning this, they aren't savvy enough to work the better bowlers, too prone to collapses and the batting is the same old same old, great when it works but cringeworthy when one after another throw their wickets away.

Guessing we'll probably stick with the same XI, order and tactics :rolleyes

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Side winning the toss has won 29 times out of the 36 games played here , second to only Newlands . So i guess Strauss could very well board the flight by mutual consent if he happens to lose the toss .

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
This is a big surprise. The previous ODI series played in Sri Lanka England won it by 3-2. So it's not an impossible task.

Of the last 5 ODI's Sri Lanka won only one ODI. But before these 5 ODI's, Sri Lanka won 7 ODI's in a row.

But overall I would say Sri Lanka has the advantage.

----------

Also this match is going to be played in Premadasa Stadium at Colombo. Not in Mohali.

Owzat

International Coach
This is a big surprise. The previous ODI series played in Sri Lanka England won it by 3-2. So it's not an impossible task.

Problem is this is a one-off not a five match series. Is an interesting point though

07/08 Sri Lanka 2-3 England (ODI series)

1 : Sri Lanka won by 119 runs. Maharoof took 4/31, Cook top scored for England with 47 and England were never close to chasing 270 to win. Only 27no from Bopara and 24 from Swann at 7 and 8 respectively got England to 150.

2 : England won by 65 runs. 82 from Shah took England to 234. Four England bowlers took two wickets each, two late run outs finished Sri Lanka off with 44no from Mubarak the Sri Lankan top score - Sri Lanka were 90/6, so added 79 for the last four wickets.

3 : England won by 2 wkts. Sri Lanka were bowled out for just 164 which nearly proved enough, 70 from Dilshan being 55 more than the next highest score with Swann taking 4/34 and Sidebottom 3/19. England were 47/4 in reply, than 107/7 but 25 from Swann and 20no from Broad got them over the line.

4 : England won by five wkts. Three wickets each from Anderson and Sidebottom saw Sri Lanka make just 211/9 with Sangakkara 69 and Silva 67 scoring most of the runs in a partnership of 126 for the 4th wicket. Both fell within 12 runs of each other and the total was not enough. England made light work of the target, Cook making 80 and Pietersen 63no.

5 : Sri Lanka won by 107 runs. Sri Lanka made 211 for the 2nd match in a row, this time all out. Silva made 73 while Broad was the pick of the bowlers with 3/36. England were never at the races, 29 for the 2nd wicket the pick of the partnerships, and Cook and Pietersen joint top scorers with 28. Fernando ripped through England with 6/27 as they made just 104 with a best position of 72/3, the last seven wickets going down for 32 runs.

So while England won 3-2, they were thrashed by 100+ runs in both defeats and only narrowly squeaked home in what proved the deciding 3rd ODI (deciding in that the rest were not that close rather than an actual decider per se)

Only four of the humiliated players from that last ODI in Sri Lanka could play in this one - Bell, Collingwood, Bopara and Anderson. Mustard was the pinch-hitter then, 89 runs @ 17.80 supporting my point about keepers opening simply not working for England and wasting a capable batsman on a theory. Broad took 11 wickets, second only to Sidebottom with 12 for England. Swann took just seven wickets, England not going with much spin. Cook was top of the averages with 31.00, neither Bell nor Collingwood registered 100 runs in the series.

Oh and Anderson took four wickets @ 48.25, I seriously hope England don't recall him but I fear they might

Last edited:

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
england do have a good record over sri lanka outside that series. wins in the champions trophy and the t20 too.

Murali never played in that series though, he's a game changer. they played him very well in south africa but this is colombo. that win was built on a great showing with pace.

I am still not writing england off though.

Lassana Dias

Club Cricketer
England will be tested to the Max here. there is a chance of sri lanka playing 3 spineers in a spnning track. :spy

Owzat

International Coach
I am still not writing england off though.

Assuming Yardy hasn't left his decision to quit too late, we could replace a useless spinner with someone who might just be a wildcard. It could prove a stroke of genius, have a 'mental injury' replacement. Just need Shight to realise he is what he is, he'll go home depressed and we can call up Patel or someone else.

Dunno what Yardy has to be depressed about, if I was that cr ap in ODIs and in an England squad I'd be over the moon. Well actually I'd decline the call up knowing I wasn't good enough, but hey ho.

jacobfelix

International Coach
Rashid is his replacement....however last match of this World Cup for England I guess...:D

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Ponting will score a blistering ton. You heard it first right here folks :yes

I really wish you were true . Even an Aussie defeat is fine with me if i happen to get the treat of watching this man's priceless innings for a long time . If he hits , it stays hit :yes

This happened the night before the Aussie match . Went completely by my words :p

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now , here's another prayer :

I really wish Sangakkara scores a blistering ton . Even a Sri Lankan defeat is fine with me if i happen to get the treat of watching this man's priceless innings for a long time . If he hits , it stays hit :yes

:D

War

Chairman of Selectors

Of the last 5 ODI's Sri Lanka won only one ODI. But before these 5 ODI's, Sri Lanka won 7 ODI's in a row.

But overall I would say Sri Lanka has the advantage.

----------

Also this match is going to be played in Premadasa Stadium at Colombo. Not in Mohali.

Murali didn't play in that series win for England.

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Before the WC started, I would have said both teams are even. But England have been hurt with too many injuries to their first-choice XI players. SL should win this. But if Swann can rip through the SL top-order, then game-on!

Users who are viewing this thread