IPL Marketing of the IPL

JamesyJames3

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Howdy folks! :)

I am currently doing a project on the marketing activity of the IPL since it's inception in 2008.

Now, although I have found quite a bit surrounding sponsorship and advertising, I am lacking the knowledge of what they do in India specifically! And I was wondering if any of our Indian friends could help me with this.

If anyone has any information (links/emails), data, or knowledge on the marketing of the IPL, I would truely appreciate it if you would post!

Also, to keep this interesting for those of you not in India, how has the IPL been accepted in your country? Do you think more could be done to market it as a product? What do you think should be done?

I think this is a pretty interesting study, so any help you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated!

JJ3

JamesyJames3

International Coach

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
Hey. Your welcome pal. Colors is a television channel. Viacom 18 network (they own MTV worldwide)

JamesyJames3

International Coach
What do 'Colours' rights involve then? I was under the impression S Max was the broadcaster of the IPL in India?

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Lots of Bollywood stars (an industry which has strong ties with the IPL through Shah Rukh Khan, Shilpa Shetty, Priety Zinta, and the like - all owners of IPL franchises) appear on gameshows on the Colors channel. Some even have their own TV shows on it.

They don't have anything formally to do with the IPL I think.

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
Colors is associated with IPL this yr-

Colors plans to make a splash with the Indian Premier League. The general entertainment channel of Viacom18, which has inked an entertainment licence deal with IPL for three years, will launch three shows around the third season of the tournament. These include IPL Rockstar, a music competition to be held at stadiums, Khatron Ke Khiladi Season III, which will have IPL cricketers as participants, and the IPL Awards Night.

MTV, the music channel of the network, will also launch a new programme on fashion shows to be held during IPL III. All the shows are being produced by Endemol India.

Colors is reportedly in the process of locking in advertisements for these shows and is charging 15-20% higher rates compared to its other big-ticket shows. “I think it is a great opportunity for those advertisers to join the IPL bandwagon who missed the boat with the tournament broadcaster MAX because of steep ad rates,” said a senior media planner who didn’t want to be named.

Read the complete article - Howzzat! Viacom 18 adds Colours to score a ton with IPL

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
During the IPL season, most of the organizations will look to cash in upon the season. Though not directly involved, their taglines would hint at the IPL.

For e.g . Television companies have advertised in the past- Winner at home ! ,etc

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
This is what Kings XI do:

1. Hold local tournaments with teams from Himachal, Punjab and J&K. The winning team gets to win KXIP tournament trophy and those who impress coaches get the chance to practice with big boys.

2. Priety Zinta, Bret Lee and Yuvraj go to outlets of their sponsors like Provogue for example and sign autographs and give some few complimentary tickets as well. Lee and ZInta are always great crowd pullers.

3. The franchise also ties up with retail stores and food joints to give away free tickets on doing some specific jobs like making purchase of Rs. 2500 and above or buying membership for one year in Gym etc.

4. Local marketing teams consisting of college graduates (cute girls ;))visit big corporate offices having employees in excess of 500 or popular places like Sector 17 market or Lake and hold games. The winner gets CD's and other merchandise.

5. The tickets can be booked from various convenient places where people are mostly found like Malls, Banks etc.

Edit: I don't think you will be looking for TV ads or stuff as it is common thing like World Cup. Get tickets to IPL matches if you find this icon below crown of Pepsi etc. :p

KBC

Panel of Selectors
I think i can and quite few members around here can get you tons of info about the Deccan Chargers. They've had a Quiz show, Platinum Clubs and what not to market the Brand. The Point is straight; Deccan Chargers are owned by Deccan Chronicle, The English Newspaper in Hyderabad region, which is Situated in Andhra Pradesh. Hence the 'Deccan'.

For a moment I went into History sorry. :p

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
I think i can and quite few members around here can get you tons of info about the Deccan Chargers. They've had a Quiz show, Platinum Clubs and what not to market the Brand. The Point is straight; Deccan Chargers are owned by Deccan Chronicle, The English Newspaper in Hyderabad region, which is Situated in Andhra Pradesh. Hence the 'Deccan'.

For a moment I went into History sorry. :p

They can afford to run full page front and back ads without worrying about budget. ;)

Too bad still cannot win at home. :laugh

harrisb

International Coach
the IPL has definitely expanded globally this year, i'm guessing you will already have covered this, but this year, it has reached out to a more accessible global market by being live on Youtube.

Also, in the UK viewing figures will rise this year, because it's on free-to-view tv.

stefan

International Coach
Super Sport has a bigger tv ad for the IPL then they have had for our own local pro20 series. Also been shown on more than just the sports channels on dstv, also shown during some sitcom commercials on their partner channel m-net.

Not sure if this helps you at all but I though I might as well mention it.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
They have quite a few humorous ads on TV as well. The Captain's all have a video as well.

YouTube - IPL Back In India: Gilly
YouTube - IPL Back In India: MSD
-Translation: the pitches were nice, outfields fast, and great floodlights. But where's the talk in South Africa that they have in South India? We missed you a lot.
YouTube - DLF IPL 2010 - IPL 3 Back In India - Sachin Tendulkar in the Mumbai Indians Team
-Mumbai Indians. Mumbai. Indians. When you listen to it, something different happens. Especially when you say it. We missed you alot.

here's the official promo: YouTube - An invite to IPL 2010

and: YouTube - IPL 2010 - Saare Jahan Se Acha - IPL on MAX

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread