Memories from the first match you witnessed inside a stadium

blueblood

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
The date was 6th January 2013, shivering cold at 10 in the morning, sat beside the TV to check the build-up to the 3rd ODI b/w India and Pakistan scheduled to be played at the Feroze Shah Kotla. Same time, my friend called to ask if I was free today to go there and watch the match. Well, you simply don't ask these questions. Do you?;)

So my first match was to be against our arch rivals, excited as I was, expecting the stadium to be jam packed even for the ODI which was inconsequential, as Pakistan had already won the series!
We were four with a ticket each ( non-saleable) , but the problem, two of those tickets were for general stands, and the other two were for West End - Platinum Lounge (Lower level), ie, the one straight below the pavillion ( which was first floor). I somehow managed to convince my friends to let me go for the West End.

So 12.30 it was when we reached inside (at 12.00 the match had started) and India were already 3 down. :facepalm . Pakistani bowlers were steaming in - this is just when I reached the stadium:
attachment.php

Indian batsmen failed yet again in the series, posting only a meagre 167.
These were the pics when 1st innings ended / 2nd innings was about to start.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Soryy about the image quality, captured it from the video I made, didn't have a good video phone then, neither it had a very responsive click to capture!!

A lot as expected from the new ball bowlers, and we had a new entrant in the side, Shami Ahmed. The crowd was on their feet cheering for the side as every ball was bowled. The bowlers started well for India.
There were only a bunch of Pakistani fans in the stadium, a whole delegation of Pakistani elite on my left though,ie,beneath Pakistani dressing room, and yeah!! Paki girls are so beautiful. But we weren't allowed to go into their area. :(

The crowd got silent as Pakistan's innings progressed as India was failing yet again. The only thing that kept us going was the Mexican wave, loved that!! We had to leave early as my friends were freezing in the top general stand and I too had to go to a relative's function. Just as we had an exit from the gate , there came a big roar from the stands, then another, and another!! India had taken 3 quick wickets in a span of 10 minutes or so. We were like, we have a chance in this game, and before I had left, I said to a lady sitting beside me that hey, we're gonna win this.
And we had by the time I was in the metro leaving for home, my dad called me up and confirmed!!
One of the finest experiences of my life, to witness the players from soo close!! Remember each and every moment while in the stadium

Key incidents during the match:

1. In the break while Jamshed was stretching, Sharma had a hard round ball (those like bowling types) and gestured as if he would hit Jamshed with it. Jamshed stood up and became too furious, though it was a spat for just seconds, and obviously Sharma was just playing around :p
2. Some naughty little kid shouted Jaddu from the hole in the glass and ran away, Jadeja, who was sitting behind the ropes waiting to go in, turned back and had a long stare at me, as he thought I was the one who did it!! Well, you need to bow down before the Sir as they say!! :D :rolleyes
3. Billy Bowden ran fairly quickly into the official rooms ( I assume he had to pee as it was too cold) and all of us had a big laugh. :lol

These are my memories from my first ever match inside a stadium, one of the happiest days of my life!! :)
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/engine/current/match/589310.html
Post your memories from the first match you witnessed inside a stadium

Attachments

• Photo0276.jpg
    Photo0276.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 556
  • Video0037_0000013344.jpg
    Video0037_0000013344.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 443
  • Video0036_0000003569.jpg
    Video0036_0000003569.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 487
  • Video0031_0000031628.jpg
    Video0031_0000031628.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:

ferg512

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned

blueblood

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Thats pretty cool how close you got to the players
Just that glass in b/w!!

I remember this being the first test match I saw 2nd Test: New Zealand v Pakistan at Wellington, Dec 26-30, 2003 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
Wow, the Basin Reserve, serene elegance and beauty.:clap
Day 3 when Ian Butler took his first five for, unfortunately didn't get to see the next day, some brutal bowling from Shoaib even though we were on the receiving end. I remember watching him bowl and I couldn't see the ball

You would have been satisfied leaving at the end of day 3 , can't even think of the events of day 4 lol!! 103 all out.:p

Flapjack

Club Captain
I was 11 years old, England V West Indies at Trent Bridge in 1991. Richard Illingworth took a wicket with his first ball in test match cricket - never heard such a roar in all my young life then!

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
Too many people going for NZ games, eh? I too went for a NZ match. It was an India v NZ game and sat at the stands behind the sightscreen giving a good view of the proceedings. I even went down close to the third man area (there was not much crowd and hence the security personnel were too liberal) and almost had a minute of chit-chat with Sachin in between the overs. :p Was a great experience as I went there as a neutral. Got to see Jesse Ryder and Kane Wlliamson scoring brilliant centuries. Missed Bhajji's first test century though.

GlitchInTheMatrix

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Bangladesh
This match
I and my elder brother went to Sher e Bangla National Stadium at Mirpur.It was the 2nd odi between :ban: and :aus: on that series.We reached there very early.I didn't enjoyed Bangladeshi batting a lot.I also thought that this total wouldn't be enough to stop the Aussies.Watson tottally killed our bowling line up.
Although that was my first match live at stadium.

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I remember nothing but i know this is the first match i witnessed.

4th QF: Australia v New Zealand at Chennai, Mar 11, 1996 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

An Aussie fan from a young kid,as a boy,now as a man too and as an oldman too in the future.

I have witnessed almost all matches in Chepauk after that one as far as my knowledge goes.Might have missed a few here and there maybe.To my knowledge,i missed the Kenya match in the 2011 World Cup,the ODI in the India Vs Pakistan series where MS Dhoni took India from a dubious position to a respectable total,i got passes but did not go because i dont watch India Vs Pakistan before the match ends due to high tension and weak heart for this game alone.

Last edited:

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
I have two memories that will always stand out for me, the ICC T20 Final at Lords between Pakistan and Sri Lanka. It was electrifying, I seriously haven't felt an atmosphere like that in a sporting arena.

Then of course the final day of the first test between England v India at Lords. It seemed like a home game for India but the crowd was soon silenced...plus I got to sit in the expensive seats, I forget the stand name but not everyone is allowed up there normally. It was a great day.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
I have seen 3 men's international matches, 2 women's international matches and 5 IPL games, but my first match ever in a stadium as a viewer was a game between India Greens and India Blues. It was the final of a domestic triangular tournament. Day night one day game it was.

It was a match held in Mumbai. Rahul Dravid was the skipper for one of the teams. MS Dhoni was not at all a big name there. Had hardly played 2-3 international games I guess. He was the wicket-keeper of a team.

I was too small to remember much out of that game. Another thing I remember is that during the innings break, bowlers were practicing bowling to a single stump on a full 22 yards pitch. Hardly any bowler could hit but Laxmipathy Balaji was spot on. I think he hit the stumps 3-4 times out of 5 attempts.

That's pretty much all I remember to be honest. And yes, I was wearing India's 2003 WC jersey while watching the game with 'Sehwag' printed at the back. Sehwag wasn't playing this game though. He was a part of India Reds which had not qualified for the final.

blueblood

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Could you tell the year?
It always has amazed me how we don't get a decent crowd in for the Challenger Trophy. Those days, we had all the Indian cricketers taking part in the tournament, and tbh, I really loved watching them play against each other.

Recently this hasn't been the case where all of the current gen cricketers play in the Challenger Trophy due to India's hectic schedule.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
My first match I don't remember too much of. I was around 6 years old and It was a India v NSW tour match in Sydney back when I used to live in Australia. I remember watching the Indian players at nets and got to see everyone up close. Sachin already had an aura about him. I remember he walked away from everyone and we yelled out to Sachin in Marathi, and he turned all the way back and signed just for us. I was really stunned lol, completely blown away that I was meeting my hero up close and personal. I remember him saying 'Look at the camera, Rohit' when my mom was taking a picture and I couldn't believe that Sachin said my name! :p

Also had long conversations with Javagal Srinath because he was fielding on the boundary near our stands. there were some pretty rowdy Aussie fans in the box and he told us in Kannada to move away. I remember he won us the match the next day and took 4 wickets or so.

First international match was India v Sri Lanka in T&T during the 07 world cup. Horrible defeat, it was heartbreaking. But honestly I didn't really mind lol, because we had stayed in the same hotel as the cricketers and I met EVERYONE, at breakfast and dinners with players, got everyones autograph and picture...fantastic experience.

Also went to Eng v WI and India v WI in '11 WC. There are few things in life more exciting than watching India play at home during a World Cup.... awesome. And we won this time too!

I think I am bad luck for Sachin though... the tour game in Sydney he didn't play, v Sri Lanka he got a duck, and v WI he got a second ball 2. SMH!

Last edited:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Wow, I'm gonna seem old posting here!

First match I went to was as a kid with my Dad. Day nighter on New Year's Day at the Sydney Cricket Ground, Jan 1 1991: Australia vs England.
11th Match: Australia v England at Sydney, Jan 1, 1991 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Key memories:
*Mark Waugh and Simon O'Donnell saved Australia with a good 5th wicket partnership. Henceforth Mark Waugh was my favourite player.
*A guy in the row behind us collapsed and had an epileptic fit.
*Batting was much more interesting to watch than bowling. Can't even remember if they had a replay on the big screen in those days, if they did we can't have been able to see it very clearly, hence it being hard to appreciate the bowling from a long way away.
*Australia won and we all went home happy :cheers

KrishnamurthiN

Club Captain
India Vs Australia test match at chepauk during which year I don't remember, maybe 03-04 day 5 where the match was drawn due to rain :(

Users who are viewing this thread