Michael Clarke gives up Twenty20

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Michael Clarke's reign as Test captain might just be starting but his time as Twenty20 leader has ended. Clarke announced after the Ashes loss at the SCG that he would stand down from the role and will not play Twenty20, instead preferring to concentrate on regaining form in the five- and one-day arenas.

Cameron White has been named as Australia's captain for the two Twenty20 games against England next week, with Tim Paine confirmed as his deputy. The squad also includes Brett Lee, who will represent Australia for the first time since October 2009, as well as the uncapped Aaron Finch and James Pattinson.

Australia squad David Warner, Shane Watson, Cameron White (capt), David Hussey, Aaron Finch, Steven Smith, Tim Paine (wk), Steve O'Keefe, Mitchell Johnson, Brett Lee, James Pattinson, Shaun Tait.

Australian news: Michael Clarke quits Twenty20, Cameron White is new captain | Australia Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Funny that, get Test captaincy and it's farewell T20. Probably a year too late though. As for the T20 side, looks like they are building towards the future and suddenly O'Keefe is back in the picture again. I'm hoping they rest Johnson for this and give Pattinson a go.

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Obvious now that the selectors want Paine in next for the keeping job and not Wade.

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
Nice to see O'Keefe playing now that that Hauritz is well out of the picture even though he is by far Australia's best spinner. At least they're not playing Beer. O'Keefe is a much better selection.

I hope they play this XI for the T20's.

1. Tim Paine+
2. David Warner
3. Cameron White*
4. David Hussey
5. Shane Watson
6. Aaron Finch
7. Steven Smith
8. Steve O'Keefe
9. Brett Lee/Mitchell Johnson
10. James Pattinson
11. Shaun Tait

Just would rather Paine open than be wasted down the order, and I'm guessing that Warner has to play so I would rather Watto bat down.

formula1man

International Cricketer
that's the smartest thing Clarke has ever done. Thank god he has quit T20. now he just has to quit ODIs too. Paine and Warner should open but then the rest of the order should only be decided as the game pans out if you lose and early wicket send in Watson but if the openers do well send in White then Finch to continue the carnage, lose quick wickets send in Hussey to stabilize.

----------

also good to see Lee and Tait back, they should just bowl as fast as they can.

ferg512

International Coach
Yeah, I found it quite odd that Nannes wasn't in the team. He must be injured.

formula1man

International Cricketer
I was just over reacting on clarke, 2008 nd 2009 were horrible for him with a SR of 60 odd but i just realised he has improved lately. I still dont think you will ever get 300+ if he stays in for 10 overs.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Australian news: Michael Clarke quits Twenty20, Cameron White is new captain | Australia Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Funny that, get Test captaincy and it's farewell T20. Probably a year too late though. As for the T20 side, looks like they are building towards the future and suddenly O'Keefe is back in the picture again. I'm hoping they rest Johnson for this and give Pattinson a go.

Very good team except that Wade should be the keeper instead of Paine for T20s.

Paine although he has played some really blazing innings @ domestic level. At international level doesn't look T20 material at all.

Also i hope stupidy hilditich when he talks about "looking to the future" isn't seriously suggesting forgetting about Haddin & Nannes for this format long term.

Last edited:

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Second Best decission in his Life i will say ;) Bear is the perfect choice

P

pcfan123

I'm fairly sure no team has made 300+ in a T20.

He mean's ODI's and he has a point. Clarke is the most boring and time consuming ODI batsmen on Earth. I'd rather watch paint dry then see him bat in an ODI.

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
He mean's ODI's and he has a point. Clarke is the most boring and time consuming ODI batsmen on Earth. I'd rather watch paint dry then see him bat in an ODI.

These days, he plays like Old Katman and Boeta Dippenar.

Users who are viewing this thread