Microsoft Surface Tablet

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
As expected Microsoft have announced they are entering the tablet field to coincede with Windows 8.
Microsoft Surface Tablet: First Look - YouTube

Looks quite good, like Apple they will be able to get the hardware to make the tablet run like how it is suppose to. That keyboard/cover is very innovative, that looks to be their main selling points over the other Windows tablets I've seen even though they seem to be talking more about their backstand which isn't a major selling point for me.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Looks amazing. BTW, what is Windows RT exactly? Something like the consumer preview of Windows 8?

Windows RT, known during development as Windows on ARM, will be a version of the Windows 8 operating system for ARM devices such as tablets. It will officially only run software available through the Windows Store or included in Windows RT including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote as standard. Microsoft will only be selling the operating system to device manufacturers directly, and not as a stand-alone product to consumers.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yeah and I don't expect the RT version to be as popular as the Pro version. Pretty sure that the Pro version will be a huge hit as it has a chance of replacing ultrabooks.

The 'Vapor Mg' technology looks good too, but someone told me that it's melting point is too low as compared to other metal used in device bodies.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Some of the reviews on Windows 8 mentioned they wanted to separate the metro from the desktop so the RT version would do that. But yea I don't see that kicking on unless lots of developers make enough apps which allows you to ignore the fact you can't use desktop programs.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I got a new Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 recently and I am super happy with it.

By the way, any idea if the Surface is coming with microSD slot expansion? If not, it would be a bummer for me. I need more space, and its a major point of consideration to if I want to switch to Surface when it comes out. Definitely wont get the Google Nexus 7" coz it doesnt have a microSD slot.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
By the way, any idea if the Surface is coming with microSD slot expansion? If not, it would be a bummer for me. I need more space, and its a major point of consideration to if I want to switch to Surface when it comes out. Definitely wont get the Google Nexus 7" coz it doesnt have a microSD slot.
The pro version of the Surface will have two variants, 64 GB and 128 GB. Pretty sure that this is sufficient for a tablet.

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
The pro version of the Surface will have two variants, 64 GB and 128 GB. Pretty sure that this is sufficient for a tablet.

But that's definitely not going to cost us anything less than $300, I guess. My current Galaxy Tab 2 has microSD slot of upto 32GB (along with the built-in 8GB space available out of which almost 4GB is taken by Android and other files). Thats more than enough for me. I can buy 3-4 microSD cards (each 32GB) and carry it around with me for travel. Giving the slot is a major advantage.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
My current Galaxy Tab 2 has microSD slot of upto 32GB (along with the built-in 8GB space available out of which almost 4GB is taken by Android and other files). Thats more than enough for me. I can buy 3-4 microSD cards (each 32GB) and carry it around with me for travel. Giving the slot is a major advantage.
Well yes, but the major advantage of the Surface is the OS and the cover cum keyboard.

I have a Samsung P1000 Galaxy Tab and a DOMO Slate N9 SE and let me tell you that I don't like them much. Typing on a tablet is really difficult, and if you attach a keyboard the portability goes. But that won't happen in the case of the Surface. And it's a well known fact that Android for tablets never really took off, and Windows 8 is already too good. I'm absolutely in love with the Windows 8 RP, so I'm pretty sure that I'll like the final release of Windows 8.

If my budget allows me, then I'm surely gonna get the Surface.

cain21

School Cricketer
microSD

Yep..the Surface RT has a microSD slot and Surface Pro will have a microSDXC slot.

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Yep..the Surface RT has a microSD slot and Surface Pro will have a microSDXC slot.

Oh fab...... That makes the Surface so so attractive in my eyes. Hope the prices are low enough for me to afford a Surface when it comes out. I might sell my Galaxy Tab and get Surface (I am not interested in Nexus which doesn't have the microSD slot). Currently, I have purchased 4 microSD cards (each 32gb) and use it with my Galaxy (also got a microSD card holder which is the size of a credit card). Just gives you so much of portable space for all your movies, music and photos.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I do hope they get the pricing right and the advertising campaign. From what I've been reading of the Zune, it is a superior product to the ipod but the advertising campaign failed majorly and it didn't help having the product restricted to the US.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Never been a huge fan of tablets (always thought they were pointless), but damn, that looks real beastly.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
With the touch cover, its $599? No thank you - I would rather go for the iPad. What a waste of time!

Users who are viewing this thread