My Batting Advice

ntrav

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I have a quick question. When playing an aggressive shot should I be pressing L2 before choosing to go on the front/back foot. I usually go L2 > LAS > RAS but sometimes my player just leaves the ball (which enrages me).

Another question, why do I sometimes get stumped if my player leaves the ball off the spinner. If I press the "run refusal" button ASAP will my player get back into the crease of is this a bug?

Krokenoster

Club Captain
I have a quick question. When playing an aggressive shot should I be pressing L2 before choosing to go on the front/back foot. I usually go L2 > LAS > RAS but sometimes my player just leaves the ball (which enrages me).

Another question, why do I sometimes get stumped if my player leaves the ball off the spinner. If I press the "run refusal" button ASAP will my player get back into the crease of is this a bug?

Your payer leaves the ball, because you press the RAS in, when you try to play the shot.....It happens. These points have been noted by the devs.

I personally haven't really had this issue, because I press the "run refusal" button every time i miss or leave a ball, regardless of the bowler.

ntrav

School Cricketer
Your payer leaves the ball, because you press the RAS in, when you try to play the shot.....It happens. These points have been noted by the devs.

Cheers!

Wish I could change my button commands, I'd make leave something different.

The_Pharoah

International Coach
if there's one animation I really wish BA could change, its the exact shot being played in @ntrav's signature ie. the hook or glance to square leg or something along those lines....right now it looks really weird.

RVallant

School Cricketer
I just sussed the batting out after getting frustrated with ridiculous edges. Then something someone said made it click... Basically, some advice given is terrible(!)

For example;

Yellow = Front foot,
Green = Front foot,
Red = Back foot.

People camp on the front foot because it's easier and you don't have to switch so often. So how was I getting out? Front foot, cover drives on green balls.

So anyway, after a bit of frustration, I started paying attention to the bowling pitch maps and yeah it was kind of obvious in the end, I'm only ashamed at how long it took me to realise it.

So here's the rectified advice:

Yellow = Front foot 90% of the time, you can back foot shot it over to third man, the AI likes that shot, I don't as I find it gamey.

Red = Back foot usually.

Green = 50% back foot, 50% front foot.

Green includes balls "short of a length", which should usually be played on the back foot *and* balls full that you want to hit on the front foot, *and* balls that are good length that can be hit with either type of shot, but usually is safer to play with one or the other.

So those green balls I was edging to slips or the keeper? Were actually short of a length balls that I was hitting on the front foot = higher risk of edge. Once I switched to the back foot, I was hitting them with impunity. Hilariously, I got away with a back foot cover drive on a full ball (edged and dropped) but once I started realising that green isn't an automatic front foot shot, the amount of edges from my play dried up.

I worked out the length of the ball via the front-foot block, as we all know, usually a front foot defensive block will have the batsman moving forward with the bat relatively towards the ground. Anything short of a length (green) would be defended at hip to chest height, as if it should be played off the back foot. Once you figure out when a ball is short of a length (green) or actually full (green) or good length (green) then selecting the correct foot = simpler and makes things a lot easier to score from.

Now I bat with three shots at the 'ready'.

For Pace bowlers (even the Medium bowlers), I stand in a neutral position (because switching from front to back can easily misclick as a 'leave) and pick my shot based on the length and direction;

Wide Off, Red = Cut, bye bye, four runs.
Wide Off, Green = Leave, cover/cut on the front or back foot if the bowler is medium pacer as I have time to judge where the ball will bounce, if it's fast bowling it isn't worth "chasing" like Adam Lyth!
Wide Off, Yellow = Ain't touching that sir...

Off Stump, Red = Cut, bye bye, four runs. (You can pull anything off-stump and short/short of a length like Ricky Ponting did and it's very effective.)
Off Stump, Green/Yellow = Block.

Middle Stump, Red = Pull/Hook/Leave it.
Middle stump, Green/Yellow = Block, unless supremely confident enough to get it past the bowler, usually on the on-side, I block if the bowler is good at getting the ball to seam offside as that's just asking for an edge.

Leg Stump, Red = Hook/Pull, bye bye, four/six runs (always ensure there's not a square fielder on the boundary as this shot can be hit anywhere on leg side depending on timing.)
Leg Stump, Green = Leg Glance, *usually* on the front foot, sometimes I go with the back foot.
Leg Stump, Yellow = Leg Glance / Block - I find timing the leg stump yorker quite difficult, an area to improve I guess.

For spinners: I'm more camped on the front foot;

Wide Off = Cut, *back foot* - I noticed the front foot has the ball connect slightly top-side of the bat, not what you want when the keeper is close.
Off Stump = Cover drive/Block
Middle = Block
Leg = Leg glance
Wide Leg = Sweep.

So, for those who are struggling try that perhaps? Of course, none of that applies at the higher levels without the batting aids I guess, but then this isn't for the pros! :)

whiteninness

Panel of Selectors
This advice is all well and good but the difficulty is being able to, by eye, determine if it is a full green or a short green, and then play the appropriate shot in a split second.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
This advice is all well and good but the difficulty is being able to, by eye, determine if it is a full green or a short green, and then play the appropriate shot in a split second.

This. There simply isn't enough time, at least for me, to figure out line & length to play appropriate shot. That's why it would be great if we can have a slider based setting for how early we can see the line & length information on the circle around the ball. 'Line & Length' setting at full (or maximum) bar should allow you to see the line & length circle info as the bowler is in his bowling stride before the ball is even bowled. At minimum setting with slider bar empty, you never see the line & length info at all, so this should make all the folks happy. At the very least, this setting will help in any game mode which has AI bowling at you (career mode, co-op mode and player vs AI modes), since the game could figure out what delivery to bowl earlier in the bowling process and provide this info to the users a bit early if required.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England

I was sceptical originally, but actually @grkrama gave the answer to this: remove the reticule. Then you're just concentrating on length not on colour and it buys you a microsecond.

I thought you wouldn't have the depth perception to do this but you can. Highly recommend it.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
I was sceptical originally, but actually @grkrama gave the answer to this: remove the reticule. Then you're just concentrating on length not on colour and it buys you a microsecond.

I thought you wouldn't have the depth perception to do this but you can. Highly recommend it.
Its much easier that way, have been playing without reticule since the release...

RVallant

School Cricketer

Well, as I noted, that's precisely why I don't chase after anything wide/green *unless* it is from a medium pacer, as they are slow enough for me to work it out either visually or by instinct. If I *do* chase after it, I usually get an edge as you might expect, or I get a decent shot off but chastise myself for being indisciplined.

Essentially, it means the majority of my runs are being scored off 'bad balls', those disgustingly wide, short, smack to the boundary type of balls, and those that go leg-side, which are free runs anyway! In FC matches, where you have the advantage of time, playing defensively and just blocking out the majority of balls will see you grind out a score in most cases, in my first innings since I've adopted this more basic approach I've hit 150 off 230ish balls, not out before I had to stop playing as I was getting exhausted.

I think it works, mostly because it's difficult on the lower-middle levels to get an edge off a defensive block shot. If you treat a green ball as a dodgy one to be wary of and defend them, you'll eventually start picking up the length of the ball naturally as it comes to you, particularly off the same bowlers after a lengthy time batting against them. I just thought it would be worth sharing. Also, the method I used for working out visually the length was by watching the pitch map end of the over, and the batsman's body shape and movement when the ball is being 'blocked', I don't get it right all the time of course, but then I want to minimise the risk of shot playing.

Obviously in the shorter formats, there's going to have to be some risk-taking with hitting the actual green deliveries, but I reckon that can be worked out by watching the average pitch map of the bowlers after one or two overs and hoping you don't get caught out by a crafty switch of the length. :)

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
Its much easier that way, have been playing without reticule since the release...

Yeah I completely agree, because your mind is having one thought (it's short) instead of 2 thoughts (it's red, therefore it's short) you gain that fraction of a second which makes all the difference.

But I like what @RVallant has written as a guide. If rewritten as Wide Off, Short = Cut, bye bye, four runs, for example, it would work just as well as a guide for those who wish to play with the reticule switched off.

disco123

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
England
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Yeah I completely agree, because your mind is having one thought (it's short) instead of 2 thoughts (it's red, therefore it's short) you gain that fraction of a second which makes all the difference.

But I like what @RVallant has written as a guide. If rewritten as Wide Off, Short = Cut, bye bye, four runs, for example, it would work just as well as a guide for those who wish to play with the reticule switched off.
How do you remove the reticule , which option is it ?

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors

One thing that would make a huge difference for me is being able to set the hud to only respond to certain user defined conditions : so, if I'm looking for offside drive balls, I set the hud circle to flash yellow for full deliveries just outside off stick. If I'm looking for cut shots, I set the short, wide ones to flash red. So maybe you can have 3 shots set at any one time, or possibly the number of shots you can set increases in line with the batsman's ability, or whatever.

The HUD would stay off for deliveries not meeting the set conditions.

So in that case, I reckon I'd be able to respond more quickly because I'm only really watching for colour instead of a combo of two separate visual cues. Plus the HUD would jump out at you more if it wasn't on every ball.

RUDI

Administrator
Admin
SRH...
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Champions League Winner
Been trying out some advise I read on one of the Forums, and it works wonderfully! On batting stands, move your batsman more towards leg stump and you'll be able to easier guide the ball through the on - and off side. Playing on PRO mode, I used to only average about 24 in Test matches; yesterday scored 3 consecutive 50's and only got out due to being impatient and trying to play to many aggressive lofted shots.
Just want to thank the person who posted the advise... sorry guys... I've read through some of the Forums .. can't find the post.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Just want to thank the person who posted the advise... sorry guys... I've read through some of the Forums .. can't find the post.

Prolly me. You can thank me, you should anyway... lets just assume me. Go with me. Me.

Users who are viewing this thread