Natwest Challenge (Eng, Ind)

S_Harmison

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
i predict a 3-0 thrashing, the England boys will be on a high after the recent whitewash of the windies and will give India a real runaround,

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
That was a thrashing!! This proves that the Natwest Series was just a one-off, and that England are now the 2nd best team in the world. And unlike the other teams, we dont stop here, we move forward, and try and dethrone the Aussies from top spot. Well the semi finals of the Champions Trophy could be that big occassion.

S_Harmison

International Cricketer
i though that Alex Wharf bowled fantastically well and Harmys hatrick just capped it all off, its wasnt a good performance by the indians and i was very dissapointed by them.

Briggsey

International Coach
not forgetting the way freddie finished the match! finishing it in the way that only he knows how

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
yes what a game, i taped it, and as i continue my season with yorkshire i think i am going to watch it again.

What are the three moments you enjoyed most about this match?

1. Sehwag's Innings
2. Harmys Hat-trick
3. Freddie's 6's

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
That game was fun to see..... just to see how boring the Indians have been playing. They play as if they don't want to win. Perhaps they need a bit of Sandy Gordon again. One session with Sandy Gordon lasts them a year, you know!

As for England being the second best team in the world.... perhaps in Tests (although they still have to prove it against teams other than West Indies) but I am still not certain about ODIs. And about the Natwest Series being a one-off, maybe, but then the 1-1 in Australia was a one off? The 3-2 and 2-1 in Pakistan was a one-off? :D

I'm hoping India arrive at the game tomorrow. Unfortunately I'll miss it, though. Where is the next game by the way? India really looked sluggish yesterday. It normally takes them one bad series to get back on their feet (remember New Zealand?). Unfortunately they've already performed dismally in the Asia Cup and the Videocon Cup. Well...let's see.

India will still try and retain the Champions Trophy :).

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
well a good performance from england after there usual collapse, and its that man flintoff again. despite being dropped on 80 by balaji, he deserved a century! imo currently the best cricketer in the world :)

Rangeela

International Coach
2nd ODI

Toss: India

England 307/5 (Flintoff 99, Collingwood 79*) (Harbhajan 2/14)
India 237 (46.3 ov) (Kaif 51) (Gough 4/50, Giles 3/26)

Result: England won by 70 runs

Man of the Match: Flintoff

Series: England leads the 3-Match series 2-0

sachinisgod

International Cricketer
sohummisra said:
That game was fun to see..... just to see how boring the Indians have been playing. They play as if they don't want to win. Perhaps they need a bit of Sandy Gordon again. One session with Sandy Gordon lasts them a year, you know!

Sandy would be as exasperated as we all are. All that was earned in the last year has been lost.

Laxman should be caned for that blind dash. Dravid's a tired man - we will need him when Aussies head here - send him back. Ganguly should be given an assignment to write "We will have a bat first" 10000 times.

Won't regret not being able to see the Lord's encounter. :mad

akkies_2000

Club Cricketer
Oh what a shame to loose to England without a fight :(, months after claiming to be second best side. As a matter of fact, there are so many 2nd best sides and ALL of them are inconsistent, be it England, Pakistan, India, SA, NZ. After we've decided which is the best side (AUS), we should now discuss which is the worst side, second worst side :) because they are consistently performing badly.

I think in 3rd ODI, England should have just 5 players Flintoff, Solanki, Gough, Giles and Harmison to make it an even contest. Instead India should get rest of England's batsmen so as to able to score few more runs.

Till now, I felt India needs just one win to get back to winning ways but that is not going to come unless something is done. I would like to replace Sehwag with Karthik. Sehwag is spoiling the start that India needs top of order. Its nice to see Kaif coming up. I think Kaif should be first down, then Yuvraj and then the rest.

Ajit

Club Cricketer
Every match is different in itself. I think India should rather stick to the default combination and probably send Gavaskar to open to replace Sachin(who is unfit). For Sehwag, I say 'Form is temporary, Class is permanent'. Line-up should be Sehwag,Gavaskar,Laxman,Ganguly,Dravid,Yuvraj,Kaif,Pathan,Balaji,Bhajji,Nehra

I don't think it makes any difference to our Champions Trophy chances even if we lose 3-0, but if we get the default combination going(even by fluke) we would get back to good(may not be winning) form.

akkies_2000

Club Cricketer
As for Sehwag, I would say there is nothing like form, its sheer LUCK. How many times do you see Sehwag respecting his wicket. I could remember couple of times, otherwise he's just blasting every delivery and is lucky. Only a person respecting his wicket depends upon form and worries about it. Sehwag himself said in an interview noone ever knows how long would I be there 1 over or 5 overs. Hell, is he playing cricket or baseball?

Ajit

Club Cricketer
He holds the record for highest test score for India.(309 vs Pak)
Enough to tell me he is a class player.

I agree with you that he should be a bit careful. But maybe Sourav should send him down the order(maybe at No.7) cause there India totally miss a hard-hitter.

But even as an opener he could be effective, he is atleast quick unlike Sourav.

My suggestion would be to consider him only as a gamble and not expect him to do it. Perhaps "Sehwag out" should be considered as "No loss".

Last edited:

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I doubt Sehwag will be able to make much of an impact in the lower order because nowadays he depends heavily on the fielding restrictions to make his runs. Otherwise most of his lofted on drives would be caught! Sehwag is a person we should never depend upon--if he works then its a positive. Unfortunately, India must face this predicament, because when he fires India surely win.

I didn't get to see the match yesterday but if Harbhajan is one of the top-scorers for us, then that is not good news!

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
one important fact that has been missed, is englands slight adjustment in the starting 11, and the fact they are sticking with their players and not chopping and changing (currently at least). we (england) are in a rich vein of form, and currently i dont think theres many teams that want to play us. still the team that beat india on friday, imo is not our best!

thats my bit :)

Users who are viewing this thread