Latest Patch now available for PS4 (1.06) & Xbox One (1.0.0.7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I'm all for making the game accessible to casual gamers etc.

However the reality of it is that although these casual gamers may add extra sales, chances are after a few slog fests and once the Ashes is done the majority will shelve the game.

You have to really LOVE cricket to spend hours and hours on a game grinding through a test match.

I have friends who like cricket, but they would be like Harry how bloody boring is it sitting there for 3 plus hours defending balls etc.

It's the true fans that will be the hours into the title.

Veteran and legendary have to be just that, there has to be that simulation mode.

For me last year I didn't mind the nicking off after getting thee perfects because that does happen, you get a jaffee that sometimes no matter what you do will have your name on it.

I can imagine after the xmas break this game again will come on leaps abandon bounds even more.

Genuinely have batted over 20 hours and edges it 3 times.

I've a similar gameplay experience as well. TBH it's all well and good that batting is fun but if there's no risk & reward implemented it becomes another stick cricket and you lose interest. I was able to put up 700+ against Aus in a Test on a green pitch at WACA and was able to chase 350+ against Eng within 27 overs in an odi. I'm all set to move on to FIFA as I don't see much fun in a "hammer the ball to all parts without being dismissed". Now there's no strategy involved in batting... just mindless slogging/attacking with barely any risk. I've only had one genuine edge in two days of playing the game as 2 out of 3 edges were more bugs with ball passing through the bat and reported as such.

Are you sure you have your custom settings turned "on" as adjusting the sliders and leaving it off will have no impact

Positive. This is the first thing I checked as I had the same suspicion. I also changed settings and double checked the same before I started a new one as I thought maybe the modifiers are not having an affect if changed mid-game.

I've got a gameplay in which I have most of my wkts to slips and keeper.

Playing with no HUD on pro cam.
Idea is to play as late as possible to read length line correctly.
So playing on Easy level with modifier on.
Shot timing 0
Bowl quality influence 50
Foot work 50
Shot difficulty 50

The above setting is decent in pro cam with no HUD . U can play very late and still score .

Only problem is with the modifiers resulting in some worng shot animation and audio problem.

I should not have to bat in a batting camera i don't like (PRO cam) and with the settings I don't prefer (No HUD) to get edges. the whole point of modifiers and options to recreate your optimal gameplay experience. It should've no bearing on the amount of edges I get.

my view is we've reached the contradiction between us and the "casual" players that are the focus of the game.

batting is too easy, because they didn't want the casual gamers getting edges they didn't understand.

I understand their concern but at the same time they can't implement "Easy" and call it "Hardest". The whole point of gameplay modifiers was that you could tweak those to get your preferred gameplay experience. Big Ant could very well have mapped "Hardest" to say 50 settings in gameplay modifiers but allowed gameplay modifiers to increase difficulty level. As I mentioned in my previous post that keeping 'Shot Timing' modifier on 65 and rest of the batting modifiers (footwork, ball quality influence, shot choice difficulty) on 100 has no perceptible difference. Then why have gameplay modifiers at all? Or simply add one more - "Edge Frequency" - which impacts the amount of edges you get as it's increased.

And TBH I find the last comment (bolded) quite disturbing. You provide the feedback in such a way that casual fans understand what are they doing wrong and not go for a cop out where you take one of the most important part of cricket, i.e. risk-reward balance via edges in cricket. This is akin to FIFA/PES shelving offside coz casual fans don't understand why their player was offside!

To @MattW , @HBK619 , @BigAntStudios , at the moment the game is playing like an Arcade game on the batting side. I understand your decision to tweak the game in favor of casual audience but at the moment the game is geared only towards casual gamers. It's one thing to add accessibility for the casuals and newbies but another to remove any shred of difficulty for those who prefer anything close to realistic cricket gameplay experience. To me the game doesn't reflect cricket but more a 2D representation of Stick Cricket. Scoring 700+ for fun in Tests on a green wkt and chasing 350+ in odis in 27 overs is not what cricket is or should be - at batting modifiers set to 100 in 3 of the 4 cases as mentioned above.

Last edited:

Bazowzer

School Cricketer
But even “casual” players like a challenge. I don’t put enough time into many games to truly master them, but I do expect, when I buy a game like this, to find a level that will be difficult but fair. Personally, I enjoyed DBC14 for this reason. My constant edging of the ball through to the wicket keeper/ slips provided the best kind of frustration and made finally making a big score very satisfying.

I’m struggling to get on with Ashes Cricket. I’m playing on hard-legend and, while I can still get myself out playing an expansive shot, there is just not the same sense of risk and vulnerability that I felt in DBC14. I have now played several innings and am yet to edge the ball once. Just doesn’t seem right for someone who hasn’t picked up this series for a few years (and was not even very good at it the first time around).

villafan001

Club Captain
I've a similar gameplay experience as well. TBH it's all well and good that batting is fun but if there's no risk & reward implemented it becomes another stick cricket and you lose interest. I was able to put up 700+ against Aus in a Test on a green pitch at WACA and was able to chase 350+ against Eng within 27 overs in an odi. I'm all set to move on to FIFA as I don't see much fun in a "hammer the ball to all parts without being dismissed". Now there's no strategy involved in batting... just mindless slogging/attacking with barely any risk. I've only had one genuine edge in two days of playing the game as 2 out of 3 edges were more bugs with ball passing through the bat and reported as such.

Positive. This is the first thing I checked as I had the same suspicion. I also changed settings and double checked the same before I started a new one as I thought maybe the modifiers are not having an affect if changed mid-game.

I should not have to bat in a batting camera i don't like (PRO cam) and with the settings I don't prefer (No HUD) to get edges. the whole point of modifiers and options to recreate your optimal gameplay experience. It should've no bearing on the amount of edges I get.

I understand their concern but at the same time they can't implement "Easy" and call it "Hardest". The whole point of gameplay modifiers was that you could tweak those to get your preferred gameplay experience. Big Ant could very well have mapped "Hardest" to say 50 settings in gameplay modifiers but allowed gameplay modifiers to increase difficulty level. As I mentioned in my previous post that keeping 'Shot Timing' modifier on 65 and rest of the batting modifiers (footwork, ball quality influence, shot choice difficulty) on 100 has no perceptible difference. Then why have gameplay modifiers at all? Or simply add one more - "Edge Frequency" - which impacts the amount of edges you get as it's increased.

And TBH I find the last comment (bolded) quite disturbing. You provide the feedback in such a way that casual fans understand what are they doing wrong and not go for a cop out where you take one of the most important part of cricket, i.e. risk-reward balance via edges in cricket. This is akin to FIFA/PES shelving offside coz casual fans don't understand why their player was offside!

To @MattW , @HBK619 , @BigAntStudios , at the moment the game is playing like an Arcade game on the batting side. I understand your decision to tweak the game in favor of casual audience but at the moment the game is geared only towards casual gamers. It's one thing to add accessibility for the casuals and newbies but another to remove any shred of difficulty for those who prefer anything close to realistic cricket gameplay experience. To me the game doesn't reflect cricket but more a 2D representation of Stick Cricket. Scoring 700+ for fun in Tests on a green wkt and chasing 350+ in odis in 27 overs is not what cricket is or should be - at batting modifiers set to 100 in 3 of the 4 cases as mentioned above.
The batting animations aren’t canned though, so an “edge frequency” modifier won’t really do anything as you only get edges when the ball hits the edge of the bat...

It might have been possible to have a modifier that slightly reduces the recognised bat width and thus increases contact with the edge - but seems very forced.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The shot force modifier doesn’t work for AI batting , set to zero and fours and sixes still order of the day?

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
The shot force modifier doesn’t work for AI batting , set to zero and fours and sixes still order of the day?

I've no reason to believe it would work given most of the batting ones don't.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Was fiddling earlier mate and it didn't seem to work, when I came off the game and reloaded I couldn't hit the ball. Give that a go? Still no edges regardless

See the following thread for all the info...
https://www.planetcricket.org/forum...ardest-difficulty-levels.109590/#post-3227683

In nutshell no edges and no semblance of gameplay balance between bat & ball. The modifiers work as I checked by tweaking 'Ball Marker Display Time' and it changed within the game. But as for gameplay most of the batting ones make no difference.

sashu_91

County Cricketer
Batting modifiers
Shot timing 50
Rest of the modifiers at 60
Legend hard
Played against England first got lots of edges on green soft pitch, got very good results as batting was tough for me
Played against Pakistan on a dry pitch against got lots of edges and 4s and 6s here and there, again had a good batting session.. really liking this modifiers setting..
Can anyone try and let me know what they feel about it... After me complaining for easy sixes this setting is working atleast for me...

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Batting modifiers
Shot timing 50
Legend hard
Played against England first got lots of edges on green soft pitch, got very good results as batting was tough for me
Played against Pakistan on a dry pitch against got lots of edges and 4s and 6s here and there, again had a good batting session.. really liking this modifiers setting..
Can anyone try and let me know what they feel about it... After me complaining for easy sixes this setting is working atleast for me...

If that's the case the gameplay modifiers are broken, and Big Ant needs to clarify what exactly is the higher difficulty for getting a realistic game. I've tested the batting modifiers from 65 to 100 (with Shot Timing set to 65) and haven't seen any difference.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Batting modifiers
Shot timing 50
Legend hard

Not saying I don't believe you, but can you record this,

Because I don't believe you haha ;)

Wealey

ICC Board Member
If that's the case the gameplay modifiers are broken, and Big Ant needs to clarify what exactly is the higher difficulty for getting a realistic game. I've tested the batting modifiers from 65 to 100 (with Shot Timing set to 65) and haven't seen any difference.

The modifiers do make a difference, just no edges

Wealey

ICC Board Member

He may be onto something, I just edges it twice through point for four and got bowled twice as was late on it at 75 dropped it to 50

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Shot type is the only modifier that says it effects edges, selecting the correct shot isn't hard, that may be the issue.

We need timing to play a bigger factor in edges!

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
He may be onto something, I just edges it twice through point for four and got bowled twice as was late on it at 75 dropped it to 50

Will give it a shot by putting 'Shot Timing' to 50 and rest everything 60.

Shot type is the only modifier that says it effects edges, selecting the correct shot isn't hard, that may be the issue.

We need timing to play a bigger factor in edges!

I thought this was what modifiers were there for, i.e. to increase or decrease the tolerances and determining the shot outcome accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread