New Zealand in Sri Lanka Oct - Nov 2012/13

ferg512

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I seriously can't believe that its happening again.

Should be van Wyks last test tbh.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I can't see him coming back for a while tbh, from what I've heard at this stage hes fine with just playing for Wellington.

Really?. Well it would quite disappointing if that occurs, cause from a neutral view - if NZ test middle-order get Ryder's back, the overall test team can be quite decent. Especially in conditions where your bowlers can get assistance.

ferg512

International Coach
Absolutely awesome win, far better than the one against the Aussies last year I think because of how tough the conditions were. Its just a shame this is a recurring theme we get hammered in the first test of every series and then play a lot better in the second. We really do need to be more consistent and put these performances in at the start of the series, because right now we are back to basically the same situation after Hobart and we can't forget how poor we have been since then.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
that's a very good win for new zealand, from sri lanka's point of view it's worrying how hard the newer batsman are finding it to score hundreds. that's 11 fifties for mathews but only once has he converted to 100. sanga, samaraweera, jayawardena and dilshan are all hitting retirement age very soon, and they don't have the depths that india have who are in similar situation. who's to come in besides chandimal? rajapaksa?

none of the seamers has really shone since vaas despite some promise. herath is the only newcomer that's done well, though since he's replacing murali it's still another positions that's dipped in quality.

they're in a bit of trouble as a test side I think.

Last edited:

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Absolutely awesome win, far better than the one against the Aussies last year I think because of how tough the conditions were. Its just a shame this is a recurring theme we get hammered in the first test of every series and then play a lot better in the second. We really do need to be more consistent and put these performances in at the start of the series, because right now we are back to basically the same situation after Hobart and we can't forget how poor we have been since then.

It's because we're not playing any practice matches. Someone like Guptill who hadn't played anything in preparation failed four times, which clearly confirms that.

Looking ahead van Wyk's batting just isn't going to cut it at international level. Sure he might be the best wicket-keeper in the country, but if you're batting at 6/7 you simply have to contribute runs. Therefore Watling has to come in for him.

ferg512

International Coach
It's because we're not playing any practice matches. Someone like Guptill who hadn't played anything in preparation failed four times, which clearly confirms that.

Looking ahead van Wyk's batting just isn't going to cut it at international level. Sure he might be the best wicket-keeper in the country, but if you're batting at 6/7 you simply have to contribute runs. Therefore Watling has to come in for him.

Yeah we really need 1-2 warm up matches before every series its just such a shame the schedule (apparently) doesn't allow it. Agreed van Wyk has to go, from what I've seen of Watlings keeping anyway he seems pretty competent.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah we really need 1-2 warm up matches before every series its just such a shame the schedule (apparently) doesn't allow it.

It's just NZC's incompetence, because the scheduling of the T20/OD matches was an absolute farce. I'm sure Sri Lanka would've benefited from one as well since a handful of their Test players came into the Tests without playing, and they had like five bench warmers who they were always showing who I'm sure would've been happy for a game.

Since I assume Astle's not going to be playing in South Africa, Carl Cachopa would be a great fit at number six since he bowls a bit. Or Colin Munro, but that might be a bit premature on the back off one outstanding innings.
Dean Brownlie's probably also going to come back into the squad as well, although he doesn't really offer a fifth bowling option. I guess if our keeper does move back down to seven van Wyk wouldn't be as bad as he was in this test, but like you say I haven't really seen Watling do a lot wrong with he gloves when he's been given them. South Africa will probably be using a part-timer themselves anyway.

Anjula

Club Captain
that's a very good win for new zealand, from sri lanka's point of view it's worrying how hard the newer batsman are finding it to score hundreds. that's 11 fifties for mathews but only once has he converted to 100. sanga, samaraweera, jayawardena and dilshan are all hitting retirement age very soon, and they don't have the depths that india have who are in similar situation. who's to come in besides chandimal? rajapaksa?

none of the seamers has really shone since vaas despite some promise. herath is the only newcomer that's done well, though since he's replacing murali it's still another positions that's dipped in quality.

they're in a bit of trouble as a test side I think.

Rajapaksa , Vithanage , Thirimanne , Jayasundara have to be the who will have to take on from the sangas and mahelas

Eranga and Peiris will take the pace department and Kaushal and Dananjaya will take the spin department.

It'll be a tough time for Sri Lankan batting ahead(A very tough time indeed)
But I won't worry much about the bowlers.

Nginator

School Cricketer
I don't think we'll have any luck against the Proteas in the Test Series to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread