New Zealand Tour of Bangladesh October/November 2013

Chewie

BCCI President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
New Zealand Cricket News: Sodhi and Anderson in New Zealand Test squad | ESPN Cricinfo

Test squad
Peter Fulton, Hamish Rutherford, Kane Williamson, Ross Taylor, Dean Brownlie, Brendon McCullum (capt), BJ Watling, Tom Latham, Corey Anderson, Doug Bracewell, Neil Wagner, Trent Boult, Mark Gillespie, Ish Sodhi, Bruce Martin.

ODI Squad
Brendon McCullum (capt), Corey Anderson, Anton Devcich, Grant Elliott, Tom Latham, Mitchell McClenaghan, Nathan McCullum, Kyle Mills, Adam Milne, Colin Munro, Jimmy Neesham, Hamish Rutherford, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Kane Williamson.

Last edited:

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Not really sure on Sodhi. His FC record is pretty atrocious and Astle would at least offer a bit more with the bat. Nethula had a much better Plunket Shield than both of them as well. With our spinners it really is just trying to pick the best out of a very average group though.

ferg512

International Coach
Sodhi seems like the new golden boy of New Zealand cricket. No matter how he performs everyone talks about how good he is despite not many positive results. Hesson said that he was picked because he bowls with consistency, I'm sorry but that is complete bollocks. Its not just the fact hes only got 22 wickets in 12 games but he also goes for 4 an over. Good luck to him hes certainly going to need it, feel a bit sorry for Astle.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
I definitely feel a bit for Astle as well. He had that crucial partnership with Taylor in our 2nd innings with the bat and then he got a crucial wicket with the ball in Sri Lanka's 2nd innings. He obviously didn't bowl great, but he didn't get absolutely smashed or anything. His economy rate was actually less than Sodhi's in last season's Plunket Shield as well.

----------

Tbh I hope they just use Williamson as our second spinner.

PtvSports

School Cricketer
I can not see Vitori name in list why and Does any body know about bangladsh squad

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
I can not see Vitori name in list why and Does any body know about bangladsh squad

"Daniel Vettori, Martin Guptill and Tim Southee were all left out of the 15-man group due to injuries, although Southee could join the tour at a later date if he recovers fully from ankle surgery in time."

ferg512

International Coach
New Zealand Cricket News: Ish Sodhi a special talent - Daniel Vettori | ESPN Cricinfo

This sounds really fishy to me, it seems Sodhi is just on the good side of all the guys in the team and the selectors. I thought a lot of this had stopped but I guess not. His selection has set the bar rather low, it just makes no sense. Its like picking a batsman who averages 25 in FC cricket and saying they looked really settled out there and in control even though they got out. As I type this he has bowled 6 overs for 52 runs against India A :facepalm

It really is incredible the amount of hype this guy has got for doing next to nothing on the field.

ferg512

International Coach
Tbh I hope they just use Williamson as our second spinner.

I honestly think hes probably a better option than Martin, thats how bad our spin bowling stocks are. I'm a little bit worried about this series tbh, if Southee doesn't play I'm struggling to see how we'll take 20 wickets and would not be surprised if the batting collapses like last time when Shakib rolled through us.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
As I type this he has bowled 6 overs for 52 runs against India A :facepalm

I was going to post this. He did not look like an international standard bowler when I saw him yesterday. They were showing live match on Star sports. The surprising thing is apart from Robin Utthappa, no other batsmen in that India A line-up has played for India. So I guess that is a bad start for him. And it definitely surprises me how NZ players and ex-players keep praising him. I guess I can't judge him from just one match.

ferg512

International Coach
I was going to post this. He did not look like an international standard bowler when I saw him yesterday. They were showing live match on Star sports. The surprising thing is apart from Robin Utthappa, no other batsmen in that India A line-up has played for India. So I guess that is a bad start for him. And it definitely surprises me how NZ players and ex-players keep praising him. I guess I can't judge him from just one match.

Kind of surprised they would air that game on tv. Its crazy, look at the comments on some of the cricinfo articles about him, some people are saying hes destined for greatness, or that he'll be the next Vettori :facepalm

These are the same people that haven't even seen him bowl one ball, I'm sorry but I don't give a damn about potential if someone doesn't produce the results. As I said earlier batsman get picked for scoring runs why should it be any different for bowlers? I feel like I'm on a different planet or something the way some people are talking about Sodhi.

Last edited:

Abishak11

International Coach
Bangladesh are a piece of cake for New zealand.confirmly kiwis can take off tht bangladeshi tigers

CremerCurrans

ICC Chairman
SA.....
ZIM...
Profile Flag
Zimbabwe
Maybe you guys should recruit some Zimbabwe spinners. Utseya won't go, but if cricket in Zimbabwe crumbles you'd be able to recruit Cremer, Mutombodzi or Mushangwe. It's a shame Lamb retired. They won't be available for four years, but it would help with your stocks. :)

----------

Bangladesh are a piece of cake for New zealand.confirmly kiwis can take off tht bangladeshi tigers

You obviously don't remember New Zealand's last tour of Bangladesh. :p

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Our line-up should be:

1. Fulton
2. Rutherford
3. Williamson
4. Taylor
5. Brownlie
6. McCullum (c)
7. Watling (wk)
8. Bracewell
9. Martin
10. Wagner
11. Boult

Bench - Latham, Anderson, Gillespie, Sodhi

Even without Southee and Vettori I still think that that should be good enough. We've got enough batting there, especially compared to Bangladesh, but our bowling does look to be a bit 50 - 50. Martin won't go for many runs but he also won't take many wickets, so that's going to come down to our pace bowlers.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Auckland have another Test! Such a good way to start the day waking up and hearing that in the news. :)

ferg512

International Coach
Our line-up should be:

1. Fulton
2. Rutherford
3. Williamson
4. Taylor
5. Brownlie
6. McCullum (c)
7. Watling (wk)
8. Bracewell
9. Martin
10. Wagner
11. Boult

Bench - Latham, Anderson, Gillespie, Sodhi

Even without Southee and Vettori I still think that that should be good enough. We've got enough batting there, especially compared to Bangladesh, but our bowling does look to be a bit 50 - 50. Martin won't go for many runs but he also won't take many wickets, so that's going to come down to our pace bowlers.

I must say I'm a bit more worried than you about the batting. I mean there really is no one there other than Taylor who you can guarantee will make some runs. I remember last time Vettori had to bat at 3 and we only just won. I would consider Gillespie ahead of Bracewell tbh, I'm a fan of him but I just don't think he has enough to offer on any flat deck.

Users who are viewing this thread