New Zealand Tour of Bangladesh October/November 2013

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Sohag Gazi has my vote for player of the week. That aside, though, I reckon the Kiwis have to go back to the drawing board a bit with their bowling attack.

They have a battery of good seamers (not fantastic, but solid) and a dearth of any capable spinners. You might as well just play Williamson as the lone spinner when Vettori's not fit, then have three or four seamers depending on the conditions.

Fulton
Rutherford
Williamson :bwl:
Taylor
Brownlie
McCullum :c:
Watling :wk:
Anderson/Gillespie :bwl:
Bracewell :bwl:
Boult :bwl:
Wagner :bwl:

They can't do any worse than the spinners - can they?

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
ball wasn't coming on to the bat so it was never going to lend itself to a chase, NZ certainly took their time posting their target.

A bit late, but I disagree with you here. Our bowling attack was there for the taking, and a few big overs early on when McCullum was attacking would've brought the RRR down to something pretty manageable. If they had a go and lost a few early wickets then they could've just blocked out the rest of the overs like they ended up doing anyway.

ferg512

International Coach
New Zealand Cricket News: Ryder targeting return to NZ side | ESPN Cricinfo

Just wondering if you Kiwi fans here would be anxious to have Ryder back ASAP?.

Nah he needs to be given time, maybe I'd have him back for the Indian series but he hasn't even played a game of cricket since the attack. I'm hoping hes the same but who knows? He seems really eager to get back to playing international cricket which is great though, because from what I had heard he didn't want to be back in that environment the past couple of years.

----------

Bangladesh v New Zealand, 2nd day, Mirpur : 'New Zealand are under pressure' - Mushfiqur | Cricket News | Bangladesh v New Zealand | ESPN Cricinfo

Ok, now I really don't want us to lose this game. Mushfiqur is doing a little bit too much talking for my liking. For all he says about them dominating they were still nowhere near a result and we gave them a chance and they didn't take it on that final day. Like Callum said you combine one of the flattest pitches in recent memory and one of the worst bowling attacks we have played in the last couple of years and I think they should have at least given it a crack.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
If another one of their sloggers gets a century then I'm going to be pissed off, how does Tamim have a Test match average so high?

----------

This is going to be ridiculous if we don't win. They just swing their bat at everything.

ferg512

International Coach
Yep, another disgraceful pitch absolutely dead. Its just appalling the ICC doesn't do anything about this. This is why teams like Bangladesh get thrashed overseas because when there is the slightest hint of pace or bounce in the pitch their batsman just have absolutely no idea.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
A pretty good effort from our pace bowlers so far. Boult's put in another solid performance, Bracewell's had two dropped catches and created other half chances, and Wagner's been very impressive. If we bowl well from here on in we could be batting tomorrow morning, and then potentially bat for two days.

ferg512

International Coach
Yeah I thought they did pretty well considering the conditions, also happy Sodhi took that wicket just before tea should do his confidence some good.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Nah he needs to be given time, maybe I'd have him back for the Indian series but he hasn't even played a game of cricket since the attack. I'm hoping hes the same but who knows? He seems really eager to get back to playing international cricket which is great though, because from what I had heard he didn't want to be back in that environment the past couple of years.

Oh ok cause observing this test series & NZ this year ever since they almost beat ENG at home, i reckon with Ryder back & all are fit, you guys have a making of one of your strongest test XI squads, since circa 99-2001 when the Fleming lead side won in England 99 & drew 0-0 in AUS 2001.

Rutherford, McCullum, Williamson, Taylor, Ryder, Anderson, Watling, Vettori, Southee, Bolt, Mcleneghan

reserves: Fulton, Brownlie, Guptill, Bracewell, Wagner, Gillespie, Martin/Sodhi

I should ask also, whats the status on young speedster Adam Milne these days?

----------

If another one of their sloggers gets a century then I'm going to be pissed off, how does Tamim have a Test match average so high?

Would say Tamim has earned that average TBF. While he certainly does have that sloggers streak in him - he can play. Ever since he scored back to back hundreds vs Anderson/Swann in ENG 2010, i've been fairly convinced of his ability.

Last edited:

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President

Yep, another disgraceful pitch absolutely dead. Its just appalling the ICC doesn't do anything about this. This is why teams like Bangladesh get thrashed overseas because when there is the slightest hint of pace or bounce in the pitch their batsman just have absolutely no idea.

Ironically Tamim has actually performed far better away from home than he has in bangladesh, 3 of his 4 tons come in england and the west indies and he's also done pretty well in new zealand.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Rutherford, McCullum, Williamson, Taylor, Ryder, Anderson, Watling, Vettori, Southee, Bolt, Mcleneghan

reserves: Fulton, Brownlie, Guptill, Bracewell, Wagner, Gillespie, Martin/Sodhi

McClenaghan in Tests? Bracewell and Wagner are far better options.

I should ask also, whats the status on young speedster Adam Milne these days?

He's in the ODI/T20I squad.

Would say Tamim has earned that average TBF. While he certainly does have that sloggers streak in him - he can play. Ever since he scored back to back hundreds vs Anderson/Swann in ENG 2010, i've been fairly convinced of his ability.

McCullum is one of the most naturally talented players in the world, and look at him. :p How I saw it was that was going to be one of the worst 100s I've seen if he made it, parents told me off because I was swearing too much at the TV because of how lucky he was.

Can someone tell me wth Fulton was thinking of there?

ferg512

International Coach
Can someone tell me wth Fulton was thinking of there?

Really not sure about Fulton and Rutherford at the top. Would ideally like Latham to come in for one of them for the Windies series. Another horrible dismissal from McCullum, I've actually stuck up for the guy as of late (which is totally against my usual stance on him) but I'm seriously beginning to question whether he would make the side if he wasn't captain, I know I'd pick a healthy Ryder over him in a heartbeat.

----------

Yes Wagner 5for, screw left arm right arm combos, our best bowlers should play.

Yep, should definitely have been there in the last game. He has a great ticker and the fact that he gives the batsman a few words is also an advantage, I really think our bowlers have been lacking that in the past.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
I was honestly going to post McCullum shouldn't be in our ideal team to War a few hours ago, but I thought I'd give him another innings... He's averaging under 30 as captain now, and most of those Tests have been played on very flat pitches. The last three years, 24 Tests at an average of 30.5.

ferg512

International Coach
Also just saw on cricinfo his last test hundred was the double century against India around 3 years ago, which is absolutely ridiculous. Maybe that was the reason for the whole captaincy saga because there is no way you can justify those results as a batsman. The problem for him is he just doesn't know how to put together an innings, hes a guy that could really have done with a season or two in county cricket (like what Williamson is doing now and Guptill also did) but he would rather roll up for the IPL.

Users who are viewing this thread