Sharma
Raina
Nair
Pandya
Kuldeep
Bhuvi
Bumrah
Chahal

I would definitely also try Krunal at 7 and see how he goes. It's bogus to play Axar ahead of him.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Mostly agree. I would not have Axar. I'd go with another batter. I think Raina and Pandya are good enough to give me a couple of overs. I wouldn't mind Krunal getting a look in at 7. He's done everything needed to warrant selection. Also, a chap like Karun Nair would probably be playing all formats for any other country in the world.
Axar is definitely overrated in Odis, but decent in T20 cricket. He is economical, but isn't a wickettaker. Kuldeep should undoubtedly be the one playing ahead of him. For the last couple of months, Krunal has done well. He would be a good substitute for Jaddu. Sheryas Iyer in my opinion, just needs to play more and get that international exposure. I believe he is a very talented player and be a good middle order batsman in middle order but he just needs to play a bit more in the international team. You can't just bash him based on one inning. He did well in domestic and in A team, you need to give these kinds of players chances.
Karin Nair has been very consistent with his performances, surprised he hasn't been selected yet.
The Sri Lanka series is good to rest a few players and test out these other players.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Axar is definitely overrated in Odis, but decent in T20 cricket. He is economical, but isn't a wickettaker. Kuldeep should undoubtedly be the one playing ahead of him. For the last couple of months, Krunal has done well. He would be a good substitute for Jaddu. Sheryas Iyer in my opinion, just needs to play more and get that international exposure. I believe he is a very talented player and be a good middle order batsman in middle order but he just needs to play a bit more in the international team. You can't just bash him based on one inning. He did well in domestic and in A team, you need to give these kinds of players chances.
Karin Nair has been very consistent with his performances, surprised he hasn't been selected yet.
The Sri Lanka series is good to rest a few players and test out these other players.

I don't have a problem with Iyer, or for that matter any of the players in the pool at the moment. I won't achieve what Dhawan has in his life. Same goes for Jadhav, Axar Patel and the person I dislike the most Ashwin.

I have a problem with the template and criteria for playing for India these days. I didn't like it when MS Dhoni dropped Dravid and Ganguly from the ODI side. I'm well aware that you're never going to get XI players playing for India according to everyone's likes. It's obviously impossible to please everyone.

But, there is a vast difference in the outlook, spectrum and template behind some of the decisions Dhoni took compared to Kohli. Obviously, Kohli is not Dhoni. No one expects him to be. I'd be the first person to criticise anyone here who feels Kohli should be this cool, calm bloke on the field like MS was. That's not him. But in their own different ways, both must make each decision for the betterment of Indian cricket.

This has been missing in abundance ever since Virat Kohli took over. It's not rocket science to figure out why some people are being selected over the other. When was the last time a cricketer made a triple hundred and suddenly vanished from the vicinity? He gave more than enough evidence in that innings alone of his abilities to play ODI/T20 cricket.
What about Jadeja and Ashwin? Yes, they were poor in limited overs and I was screaming for them to be sacked but have you told them that they may not be there in 2019 for the WC? Don't you think it will affect their confidence for tests or their morale?
What on earth has Kuldeep Yadav done to be treated like a rag?
What happened to KL Rahul after making the fastest T20 hundred by an Indian?
Apart from failing a yo-yo test that Ashish Nehra passed, what's happening with Raina?
Just like K Yadav what wrong did Maneesh Pandey do to lose his spot to DK? Is Jadhav a no.4, a finisher, an of spinner or a friend?
Why did Siraj play ahead of Shami and U Yadav?
Axar has not been more prolific than K Pandya, how is he playing ahead of him as the all rounder? Axar is bowling as badly as Jadeja but he's worse with the bat and in the field.
Speaking of Pandya's what is H Pandya's role now? Should we try him as an opener?
As far as I remember, Yuvraj and Dhoni were supposed to bat 4 and 5 in ODI's, now suddenly in the twilight of his career our WK batsman is again a finisher?
On the subject of finishers, Pant got dropped after one average game?

Just look at how many points I've made. This is not the DNA of a well planned side on their way to compete for a WC. It's the whim, fantasy and figment of imagination of a potty management led by a coach who's high on methane. We sacked the one with some dignity remember?

When MS Dhoni made those tough calls pre 2011, he had a feather in his cap in the 2007 WT20 and by the time there was a year to go for the WC, a tea stall owner would have told you our 15 for the WC. Right now, we are a mashed potato or an LIIT to suit Shastri's taste better. The repeated domination at home against depleted sides further masks our shortcomings.

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Profile Flag
India
I think this would be my honest pick if I was a selector-

Rahul
Pant
Kohli
Sharma
Raina
Nair
Pandya
Kuldeep
Bhuvi
Bumrah
Chahal

I would definitely also try Krunal at 7 and see how he goes. It's bogus to play Axar ahead of him.
I don't think Nair is the ideal guy at #6. He is a top order batsmen and he can't play shots which is required for the #6 spot. And I am assuming this is for T20I ? If I was a selector, I would try out Krunal Pandya instead of Nair. He was phenomenal in last IPL and he can play according to situation too. Apart from that, I get the good feeling from this lineup (assuming it's T20).

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
I don't think Nair is the ideal guy at #6. He is a top order batsmen and he can't play shots which is required for the #6 spot. And I am assuming this is for T20I ? If I was a selector, I would try out Krunal Pandya instead of Nair. He was phenomenal in last IPL and he can play according to situation too. Apart from that, I get the good feeling from this lineup (assuming it's T20).

Yeah, it was a T20 line up-

For ODI's?

Rahul
Rohit
Kohli
Dhoni
Pandey
Raina
Pandya
B Kumar
K Yadav
Bumrah
Y Chahal

If the wicket is very flat, I'd drop a batsman for Shami. The 3 others in the WC squad for me would be Jadeja/K Pandya, DK and U Yadav. The reason I pick DK is because he's a very versatile bloke. He can open, bat in the middle, keep and field. Whatever ODI's are left for the WC, we should rotate between these 15 players. Give them confidence and game time. Not keep changing their roles and make them insecure about their position in the squad. I believe on normal tracks, Pandya and Raina are good enough to give us 10 overs. In the event we play on a flat belter which can happen in England, I would also contemplate playing Shami for Pandey. The reason I put him behind Raina is because of his experience and performances in big world cup games and those invaluable 4-5 overs.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Just look at the depth of that XI. The biggest thing is that you have a player for almost any situation.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Mostly agree. I would not have Axar. I'd go with another batter. I think Raina and Pandya are good enough to give me a couple of overs. I wouldn't mind Krunal getting a look in at 7. He's done everything needed to warrant selection. Also, a chap like Karun Nair would probably be playing all formats for any other country in the world.
Ah! I forgot him. He is the person we need for that position. He can bat much much much better than Axar and is still economical as hell. Go for him. As far it is for Karun Nair. The only place he suits is opening since 3 and 4 are fixed and shouldnt be changed.

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Just look at the depth of that XI. The biggest thing is that you have a player for almost any situation.
Yeah, I agree with the ODI lineup.

Currently what's happening is there is too much chop and change in the team and obviously players like Pandey, Rahul, DK will be under pressure always and will affect their performance too. It's good we are giving chance for many guys, but we should give a good run for them. And I have no idea why they dropped Umesh (who is at his best in his career) and Shami.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
And I have no idea why they dropped Umesh (who is at his best in his career) and Shami.
Perhaps they plan to use the duo only in Tests thereby giving them ample opportunity to rest as well as prevent them from injuries. But IMO, one of the two should always be a certain in ODIs (perhaps rotate them) since they are wicket taking bowlers and not the "containing" ones. They will go for runs but they will also more often than not give you wickets too.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Perhaps they plan to use the duo only in Tests thereby giving them ample opportunity to rest as well as prevent them from injuries. But IMO, one of the two should always be a certain in ODIs (perhaps rotate them) since they are wicket taking bowlers and not the "containing" ones. They will go for runs but they will also more often than not give you wickets too.

God forbid, but what if Bhuvi or Bumrah or both get injured two weeks before the WC? In my opinion, each should play every alternate series with Shami/Umesh. Ala Bhuvi & Shami as a pair and Bumrah/Yadav as a pair. But, I fear that time has passed.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Tbh I like what they are doing with Shami and Umesh. We need them in Test cricket. Plus we have Bumrah and Bhuvi in ODIs who have been brilliant. We can always try and play other younger bowlers alongside these two and build a solid pool of fast bowlers in ODIs first and then identify those who can do good in Tests too.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
We can always try and play other younger bowlers alongside these two and build a solid pool of fast bowlers in ODIs first and then identify those who can do good in Tests too.
And this will work if that new crop of bowlers turn out to be wicket takers as well. That will solve one big problem that India is facing right now. But what if they don't?

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Tbh I like what they are doing with Shami and Umesh. We need them in Test cricket. Plus we have Bumrah and Bhuvi in ODIs who have been brilliant. We can always try and play other younger bowlers alongside these two and build a solid pool of fast bowlers in ODIs first and then identify those who can do good in Tests too.

There was this bloke called Praveen Kumar. He was our sure shot pick for the 2011 WC but injury prevented him from being there. He would have been the fast bowler alongside Zak and I remember right through the tournament we were missing him. We could have created a pool. IMO, that time has passed. Shami has the experience of bowling in LOI. He's a brilliant new ball bowler and doesn't muck around at the death when needed. IMO, he was probably our best bowler in the 2015 WC followed by Yadav.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
I agree with all the above and I personally love seeing Umesh and Shami bowl. I was just saying that knowing this management. I am sure they won't do it so it is better we try and give long runs to bowlers whom we feel will come good. I do agree it is late but this management under Shastri is stubborn and we got to live with it.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Also, just on this subject of stereotyping cricketers or labelling them as Test/ODI/T20 cricketers is not something I'm in favour of. The moment you do that, you stop the growth of a sportsman, particularly psychologically. At the moment, apart from our captain, no one plays all 3 formats. People are saying we should keep Bhuvi and Bumrah for LOI, but Bhuvi would be my first pick among the pace bowlers in a place like SA where we tour very soon. Philander is as good a bowler in those conditions as Steyn and better than Morkel for a reason and Bhuvi is no less of a bowler than Philander.

Similarly, Shami got a bit of stick on some wickets that were roads, but he's more than capable to bowl in LOI. And England is a place where you could run into overhead conditions in a LOI so for those I'd take U Yadav for J Bumrah.

Look at how Kohli and Shastri have bifurcated the limited overs and test sides.

Two different openers in both formats. I'm hoping Vijay plays ahead of Dhawan but I don't trust our management.

Pujara and Rahane in the middle order in tests. Both have no hope in limited overs.

Kohli the constant.

Pandya will be the AR everywhere but it would be a walking wicket to play him in SA. His bowling simply isn't good enough to warrant him a place in the XI yet.

Keeper Dhoni vs Keeper Saha.

Different spinner in LOI, different spinners in tests.

Different seamers in LOI, different seamers in tests.

Users who are viewing this thread