New Zealand tour of India - October/November 2017

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Contrary to other opinions, I thought the 'Iyer experiment' was a success and a good move. Iyer came out bashing this being a T20, he had to hole out eventually due to his inexperience but in that short stay, he showed great glimpses. I agree that the 'moving Pandya up the order' experiment is a ridiculously nonsense one. The team and management haven't still understood the new Dhoni who just does not possess the same hitting skills that he is known for, but he still provides stability and balance in tough situations. If Dhoni had come before Pandya, he could have used up a little more time to get in but even if he had got out, Pandya would've come in later and setup the big bash towards the target. Kohli suited well at No. 4 and batted well. The failure of both openers for cheap basically broke the backbone for India when chasing such a huge total.

Despite Siraj leaking so many runs, it would be stupid to wash hands off him. He needs opportunities whenever possible to develop that fast bowling pool constantly.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I am actually happy and glad New Zealand is giving fight. We must remember we have never beaten New Zealand in T20 cups and I think its the same for bi-lateral series as well. Very good innings from Colin and Indian media especially Agarkar and others who are calling for Dhoni's place in team are crazy. Dhoni although played slow but still played better then other batsman in the team. The only batsman who outplays the world is Kohli. Time and again its been apparent that not every time Kohli can help India win matches. He scores but only his scores will not help. I miss the Gambhir Sehwag era of opening, our current lot sucks to the core. Dhawan and Rohit are so freaking inconsistent but still get to keep the place in the side match after match. Rahul isnt that special. He is of Pandya type generation who believe a six pack and tattoos speak louder then actual performance. I hate to agree this fact but I was supporting Rahul but time and again he has failed at all levels. His failure of converting starts and his failure to keep himself fit. Ajinkya is also not a good fit for ODI's and T20. We need some fresh blood and we need it soon or else 2019 will be a repeat of 2007. Old techniques and yesteryear type of game will not help India going ahead.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I am actually happy and glad New Zealand is giving fight. We must remember we have never beaten New Zealand in T20 cups and I think its the same for bi-lateral series as well. Very good innings from Colin and Indian media especially Agarkar and others who are calling for Dhoni's place in team are crazy. Dhoni although played slow but still played better then other batsman in the team. The only batsman who outplays the world is Kohli. Time and again its been apparent that not every time Kohli can help India win matches. He scores but only his scores will not help. I miss the Gambhir Sehwag era of opening, our current lot sucks to the core. Dhawan and Rohit are so freaking inconsistent but still get to keep the place in the side match after match. Rahul isnt that special. He is of Pandya type generation who believe a six pack and tattoos speak louder then actual performance. I hate to agree this fact but I was supporting Rahul but time and again he has failed at all levels. His failure of converting starts and his failure to keep himself fit. Ajinkya is also not a good fit for ODI's and T20. We need some fresh blood and we need it soon or else 2019 will be a repeat of 2007. Old techniques and yesteryear type of game will not help India going ahead.
Are you kidding me? Rahul has been a consistent player whenever he got the chance. He has the average of 50 in T20I, 46 in ODI and 35 in Test. And to be frank, he was quite unlucky to miss out after getting injured. His regular batting position is the opening slot but he has been consistent in middle order (He has played some Ranji trophy games and the whole IPL season in 2016).

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Agarkar and others who are calling for Dhoni's place in team are crazy. Dhoni although played slow but still played better then other batsman in the team
Dhoni does not have the ability to go big now. In T20, he isn't useful with the bat. In ODI, he has to be there till next WC. But for T20, I believe we don't need him.

Rahul isnt that special. He is of Pandya type generation who believe a six pack and tattoos speak louder then actual performance. I hate to agree this fact but I was supporting Rahul but time and again he has failed at all levels.
I completely disagree. Remember the Australia tests ?He is one of the reason we won the series when most of the batsmen including Kohli failed. He was good even against Lanka in tests. And he got just 2-3 chances in middle order and then he was removed although he is an opener. It's not easy to adapt from one position to another so quickly. Where as other guys got loads of chances.

Time and again he has failed at all levels ? Look at his last 8-10 tests. Look at his T20 matches. Only recently he failed due to middle order experiment in ODI. If you don't give him a proper chance, how will he succeed ? He is a class player and team management is crazy not to make him a regular.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Rahul is not that good as we think him to be, but yeah he is certainly better than our both current openers.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Did he get a good run as an opener?
Good run or not, those numbers don't inspire much confidence. And how can you expect him to be picked ahead of Sharma and Dhawan, with the form they're in?

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Also, we need to give some players like Faiz Fazal, Sanju Samson, and Rishabh Pant longer runs. There is no point getting them to play against Zimbabwe for some time and then send them back!

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Good run or not, those numbers don't inspire much confidence. And how can you expect him to be picked ahead of Sharma and Dhawan, with the form they're in?
Yes, they are in good form. But you can't always select these two. The main reason behind this is that if either of the two get injured or not available due to personal reasons, there is no reliable backup. The team doesn't have that player who can play and perform in their absence. 3 players (current openers and a backup) must be rotated and given equal chances. If not Rahul the players mentioned by Yash must be given more chances. But I don't find any good reason for giving those players the chance because they are similar to Rahul.
Also, we need to give some players like Faiz Fazal, Sanju Samson, and Rishabh Pant longer runs. There is no point getting them to play against Zimbabwe for some time and then send them back!

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
We need a major overhaul in our team. This should be the lineup according to me. It is inexperienced but will prosper if they are given longer runs. Most probably based on IPL stats.

:wkb: Sanju Samson :- He has been performing season after season in the IPL. He was given a chance for the team but was never played again after just a single T20. He would be a perfect opener, who can smash from ball one and also play the anchor if required. His S/R of 123.2 as an opener speaks for itself
OR
:wkb: KL Rahul :- Still better than Rohit and Dhawan. Provides some experience. Can play really well in overseas.

2. :wkb: Rishabh Pant :- Perfect for an opening place in the T20 squad. Explosive, aggressive and provides the Left- Right combo.

3. :bat: Virat Kohli :c: :- No Comments

4. :ar: Suresh Raina :-
I dont know why, but I feel he is still the best T20 no. 4 we have. He is the best T20 batsman from India (after Kohli).

5. :bat: Shreyas Iyer :- Great bloke. Is a technical batsman and can play really well as a no. 5 when there are collapses. If at the end, send Pandya first.
OR

:wkb: Ambati Rayudu :-
He has been the most unlucky batsman in this era. Performs every time he is given a chance, still no place for him.

6. :ar: Hardik Pandya :- No comments

7. :ar: Axar Patel :- Economical as hell, average batsman, good bowler. More or less, my personal preference.

8. :bwl: Kuldeep Yadav :- Chinaman, wicket taker, and an overall good player.
OR
:bwl: Barindar Sran :- Can be used in green pitches. Performed well when he was given the chances. Provides the left arm variety we have now lost in Nehra.

9. :bwl: Bhuvaneshwar Kumar :- Wicket taker, economical, one of the best fast bowlers in our team currently.

10. :bwl: Yuzvendra Chahal :- He has been the best T20 spinner for us, we have ever got. His place cant be questioned.

11. :bwl: Jasprit Bumrah :- Best death overs bowler currently going around.

You can have 4 pacers for green pitches, and 3 spinner if you have turning pitches. If someone gets belted around the park, there is option of Raina to bowl. Anyone from Samson, Pant, Rahul or Rayudu can keep.

Last edited:

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Have you even considered who replaces one of them if they get injured? Unlikely for them to lose form right away, but who is our third opener should be the question here. I agree with @PresidentEvil , Rahul hasn't got much of a run in ODIs. Rishabh Pant certainly needs a look in. Unfortunately he hasn't been in the greatest form during the 'A' series and hasn't shined in the Ranji Trophy. He is one who is on the selectors radar for sure. But on the point for Rahul. He got injured a couple of months ago, other wise he would've been one the openers. He has been unlucky and clearly #4 hasn't worked for him.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Contrary to other opinions, I thought the 'Iyer experiment' was a success and a good move. Iyer came out bashing this being a T20, he had to hole out eventually due to his inexperience but in that short stay, he showed great glimpses. I agree that the 'moving Pandya up the order' experiment is a ridiculously nonsense one. The team and management haven't still understood the new Dhoni who just does not possess the same hitting skills that he is known for, but he still provides stability and balance in tough situations. If Dhoni had come before Pandya, he could have used up a little more time to get in but even if he had got out, Pandya would've come in later and setup the big bash towards the target. Kohli suited well at No. 4 and batted well. The failure of both openers for cheap basically broke the backbone for India when chasing such a huge total.

Despite Siraj leaking so many runs, it would be stupid to wash hands off him. He needs opportunities whenever possible to develop that fast bowling pool constantly.

Iyer made 23 of 21 on a road. The glimpses you were talking about were stand and deliver shots and while I'm fine with that in any format, he looked extremely rushed. I personally don't feel he's international level and the fact that there is a lot of competition as far as batters go will make it harder for him. This is my opinion, but I'm not god and might be wrong. I won't have an issue if he gets more chances but he's not a number 3. That spot no matter who we find should be reserved for Kohli. He's just too good to bat any lower than 3.

As for Dhoni, I think he came in to bat in the 10th over. That's as good as it gets in a T20 for a middle order batsman. He simply doesn't have the muscle to go from ball 1. I however don't feel I have the right to comment on MSD. He's not like some of our past cricketers who's going to stay longer than required, but if I were asked to keep hand on heart I'd say he's done in T20 and he can't bat anywhere but 4 in ODI's. I think he's our man at 4 in 2019.

We are basically in the hands of a frankenstein sort of management. KL Rahul has got the fastest century by an Indian in T20 yet he's not part of the team. Raina is arguably our best hitter in the mid overs after Kohli and he is nowhere. Dhawan will be 35/36 when we get to the T20 WC of 2020 and he finds favour but not a talented KL Rahul arguably the best opener in the country and someone who hasn't even peaked yet. Just look at Dhawan playing Boult. I challenge his control isn't more than 75% at the best of times.. But, But.. we can weep all we want, till the time this captain/management are there, we will see absurd selections and a pathetic media making petty home achievements seem like we are the Australia of 99-09.

Just look at the way we have sidelined the likes of Kuldeep Yadav? How on earth does Axar find a place above him? Some people were saying because of economy? That's like readying the grave for burial.

I will say it as many times as one likes- Kohli is the worst captain India has had in this century. He's a tactical sham and misuses the powers vested in him. He's as good as it gets with the bat and we should leave him with that at no.3.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Rahul is not that good as we think him to be, but yeah he is certainly better than our both current openers.

Rohit Sharma is as good as they come in limited overs. KL Rahul at the moment isn't as good as him, but either of us can do better than that stache twirling goon.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
We need a major overhaul in our team. This should be the lineup according to me. It is inexperienced but will prosper if they are given longer runs. Most probably based on IPL stats.

:wkb: Sanju Samson :- He has been performing season after season in the IPL. He was given a chance for the team but was never played again after just a single T20. He would be a perfect opener, who can smash from ball one and also play the anchor if required. His S/R of 123.2 as an opener speaks for itself
OR
:wkb: KL Rahul :- Still better than Rohit and Dhawan. Provides some experience. Can play really well in overseas.

2. :wkb: Rishabh Pant :- Perfect for an opening place in the T20 squad. Explosive, aggressive and provides the Left- Right combo.

3. :bat: Virat Kohli :c: :- No Comments

4. :ar: Suresh Raina :-
I dont know why, but I feel he is still the best T20 no. 4 we have. He is the best T20 batsman from India (after Kohli).

5. :bat: Shreyas Iyer :- Great bloke. Is a technical batsman and can play really well as a no. 5 when there are collapses. If at the end, send Pandya first.
OR

:wkb: Ambati Rayudu :-
He has been the most unlucky batsman in this era. Performs every time he is given a chance, still no place for him.

6. :ar: Hardik Pandya :- No comments

7. :ar: Axar Patel :- Economical as hell, average batsman, good bowler. More or less, my personal preference.

8. :bwl: Kuldeep Yadav :- Chinaman, wicket taker, and an overall good player.
OR
:bwl: Barindar Sran :- Can be used in green pitches. Performed well when he was given the chances. Provides the left arm variety we have now lost in Nehra.

9. :bwl: Bhuvaneshwar Kumar :- Wicket taker, economical, one of the best fast bowlers in our team currently.

10. :bwl: Yuzvendra Chahal :- He has been the best T20 spinner for us, we have ever got. His place cant be questioned.

11. :bwl: Jasprit Bumrah :- Best death overs bowler currently going around.

You can have 4 pacers for green pitches, and 3 spinner if you have turning pitches. If someone gets belted around the park, there is option of Raina to bowl. Anyone from Samson, Pant, Rahul or Rayudu can keep.

Mostly agree. I would not have Axar. I'd go with another batter. I think Raina and Pandya are good enough to give me a couple of overs. I wouldn't mind Krunal getting a look in at 7. He's done everything needed to warrant selection. Also, a chap like Karun Nair would probably be playing all formats for any other country in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread