New Zealand Tour of West Indies May-July 2014

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
In an period when most Windies batsmen seem more good a T20 cricket & incapable off playing proper long format innings - Kraigg Brathwaite is breath of fresh air.

Also WICB need to wrap Taylor in cotton wool and keep him away from T20 international cricket. Make him a test only bowler like what Australia does with Peter Siddle. Maybe some ODIs if its very important i.e the world cup.

Will be interesting to see what surface is prepared in Barbados. It should help the seamers, so maybe Jason Holder could get a call up to give windies a 4-man attack.

But a seaming wicket could bring NZ quicks right into the equation. Windies also still can't bring in Narine.

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
In an period when most Windies batsmen seem more good a T20 cricket & incapable off playing proper long format innings - Kraigg Brathwaite is breath of fresh air.

Also WICB need to wrap Taylor in cotton wool and keep him away from T20 international cricket. Make him a test only bowler like what Australia does with Peter Siddle. Maybe some ODIs if its very important i.e the world cup.

Will be interesting to see what surface is prepared in Barbados. It should help the seamers, so maybe Jason Holder could get a call up to give windies a 4-man attack.

But a seaming wicket could bring NZ quicks right into the equation. Windies also still can't bring in Narine.

I thought Sunil can play the 3rd match? I would go with 3 pacers and a spinner, with an all-rounder if needed. And yeah, Brathwaite is very impressive. But he should build on this series, unlike Powell who lost his way after the Bangladesh series.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I thought Sunil can play the 3rd match? I would go with 3 pacers and a spinner, with an all-rounder if needed. And yeah, Brathwaite is very impressive. But he should build on this series, unlike Powell who lost his way after the Bangladesh series.

Their was rumour circulating that the WICB & reached some compromise & Narine could play in the 3rd test.

westindies2007

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Nice playing WI mainly good to see the younger player making the most runs. Braithwaite, Bravo, Blackwood, Edwards n Top class Tiger. I also hope Gayle smash his way to form in the last innings.

Good bowling by Taylor. With roach and gab and Ben. I still say WI need a good all rounder. DJ Bravo or maybe another young players but prefer DJ right now. For now that's all I find de problem. Keep Ben n Narine as spin option and tell shillingford look for another wicket taking action. And have Holder. Roach . Gab and Taylor as our pacer.We got Young batsmen in Braithwaite. Bravo. Edward and now Blackwood. With back up of Tiger n Gayle. And Ramdin. But will be interesting once DJ bravo comes in how the batting line up will be. One batsman may have to sit out.

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors
Hmm so NZ are going to go through this entire series and not play Anderson.

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
Hmm so NZ are going to go through this entire series and not play Anderson.

I think it is the correct thing to do as well. NZ should persist with their strategy of going with Neesham in tests and Anderson for ODIs/T20Is. Two allrounders will imbalance their test team I feel.

Btw, it is frustrating to see Narine and Bishoo not getting picked up in the test team. What more they have to do to be in the setup? Selectors are acting noobish enough with the age old strategy of left arm-right arm combination. Just play your best players I say! Also, we should bring Dwayne Bravo in the setup. With him in the side, we can play 3 seamers and 2 spinners. A bowling lineup of Roach, Taylor, Bravo, Narine and Shillingford is potent to take 20 wickets.

Last edited:

Haynes123

Club Captain
I think it is the correct thing to do as well. NZ should persist with their strategy of going with Neesham in tests and Anderson for ODIs/T20Is. Two allrounders will imbalance their test team I feel.

Btw, it is frustrating to see Narine and Bishoo not getting picked up in the test team. What more they have to do to be in the setup? Selectors are acting noobish enough with the age old strategy of left arm-right arm combination. Just play your best players I say! Also, we should bring Dwayne Bravo in the setup. With him in the side, we can play 3 seamers and 2 spinners. A bowling lineup of Roach, Taylor, Bravo, Narine and Shillingford is potent to take 20 wickets.

I think Bravo is still injured, but I totally agree he must be in. Shillingford is not as potent as he always without his doosra, Narine is a must and a leggie like bishoo also, but on quicker pitches like in south Africa you would need another pacer and backup up must be found for roach and taylor. Unluckily Gabriel does not have the mind-set to be an aggressive fast bowler, he always look so demoralised.

Samuels

WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
I think Bravo is still injured, but I totally agree he must be in. Shillingford is not as potent as he always without his doosra, Narine is a must and a leggie like bishoo also, but on quicker pitches like in south Africa you would need another pacer and backup up must be found for roach and taylor. Unluckily Gabriel does not have the mind-set to be an aggressive fast bowler, he always look so demoralised.

You are quite right. As we know, WI still does not have a regular no.3 seamer so now is the time to experiment and get the Holder in the side. In case he fails we can go back with the likes of Miguel Cummins and Fidel Edwards for the third seamer's spot when were playing that many pacers in the XI.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Risky test selection by windies to pick 5 bowlers, Ramdin has not proven he is good enough to bat at # 6 in test cricket.

----------

I guess it depends on the conditions, but I don't think if NZ wanted to play both in the same team they would be unbalanced to be fair.

Back in the days when NZ had a fit Cairns & Jacob Oram - both of them played together. S Africa in the 90s also picked Brian McMillan/Klusener together a few times.

Samuels

WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
I guess it depends on the conditions, but I don't think if NZ wanted to play both in the same team they would be unbalanced to be fair.

Back in the days when NZ had a fit Cairns & Jacob Oram - both of them played together. S Africa in the 90s also picked Brian McMillan/Klusener together a few times.

Correct but Cairns, Kallis, and Klusener were all class above Anderson. Furthermore, the kind of allrounders they are, having both Anderson and Neesham in the final XI does not do any good to the balance of the team. If at all, NZ has to play 2 allrounders in the test side, it has to be Neesham and Munro.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Correct but Cairns, Kallis, and Klusener were all class above Anderson. Furthermore, the kind of allrounders they are, having both Anderson and Neesham in the final XI does not do any good to the balance of the team. If at all, NZ has to play 2 allrounders in the test side, it has to be Neesham and Munro.

It was only the other day NZ played both of them in a test vs IND, when they thought the pitch was going to be a greentop - 2nd Test: New Zealand v India at Wellington, Feb 14-18, 2014 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

I think Anderson & Neesham have the talent to get close to those levels, their bowling is the area that has to improve its wicket-taking potency - but they have the bases covered.

Yea I heard about Munro's all-round ability, but haven't seen him bowl yet. Just seen him bat.

Samuels

WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
It was only the other day NZ played both of them in a test vs IND, when they thought the pitch was going to be a greentop - 2nd Test: New Zealand v India at Wellington, Feb 14-18, 2014 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

I think Anderson & Neesham have the talent to get close to those levels, their bowling is the area that has to improve its wicket-taking potency - but they have the bases covered.

Yea I heard about Munro's all-round ability, but haven't seen him bowl yet. Just seen him bat.

My idea of having 2 allrounders in the side is one should be a batsman who can bowl decently and one should be a bowler who can bat decent. Munro suits in the former's role and Neesham in the latter. Anderson has not really set up the stage on fire at the test level. He needs to find his form again. He did an excellent job with NZ A when they took on India A after which he eventually got selected in the senior team. If can do that at the test level, there should not be any doubt about his position in the team.

Chewie

BCCI President
Munro shouldn't be near the test team. Neesham is just as good a batsman for test cricket. If you want a batsman who can bowl decently we have Williamson (though he can't bowl right now...)

Samuels

WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
Munro shouldn't be near the test team. Neesham is just as good a batsman for test cricket. If you want a batsman who can bowl decently we have Williamson (though he can't bowl right now...)

Don't you think that Williamson will get burden a bit with added responsibility of bowling which might hamper his run with the bat? I am not a fan of having two allrounders in the test team at first pace but Munro's stats are too good or is it they do not show the real picture? One of the reasons of why I would not have two bits and pieces cricketers in a test team is technically you are unsure what holds next after #5 in your lineup.

I would ideally want 5 good batsman, an allrounder and a gloveman in the top 7. I know both McCullum and Watling have come good with the bat but only other dependable test batsmen in the NZ lineup are Taylor and Williamson. I feel it will be too much to depend on the quartet every time. I think NZ should leave Neesham at #7 as a 'chip in' batsman and that is about it. Not too many changes required on that front for them.

Users who are viewing this thread