New Zealand Tour of West Indies May-July 2014

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
West Indies cricket has suffered many horrible moments, since their well publicized decline after the 1995 home series against Australia. However the Sammy era of captaincy, especially in the test format has to go down as one of the most unedifying sagas during this dark era for the regional side.

People should never forget the frivolous manner in which Sammy became captain. He never earned the right to be skipper based on any domestic performances for the Windward Islands.

At the height of the players vs WICB vs WIPA controversy in 2010, two St Lucian's were running WICB (President Julian Hunte and Chief Executive Officer - Ernest Hilaire) and Sammy somehow got the captaincy, after Chris Gayle was unceremoniously removed.

From this point, Sammy became the most illegitimate captain in West Indies history since World War 2. His non merit and non cricket reasons rise, to the most distinguished position a Caribbean player can have, can only be compared the 1950s, when the then leaders of the cricket board appointed a procession of white captains, instead of allowing, the late great Sir Frank Worrell to lead to team earlier than famous 60/61 tour to Australia - just because he was black.

The aforementioned controversy with Gayle which saw him banned from Windies duty for a year along with issues with players such a Bravo and Pollard refusing to sign WICB contracts, showed how poorly the board run by Hilaire, adjusted to the T20 revolution worldwide.

As the recent International Cricket Council (ICC) revamp showed, India, England and Australia are the financial powerhouses off world cricket. Everybody other cricket national is weak financially. Therefore although the IPL has many faults, players from South Africa, Windies, Pakistan, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe would always jump at opportunity to cash in on the lofty financial remunerations that IPL/T20 leagues worldwide offered.

IPL/India has been messing up Windies cricket home/domestic cricket since it started in 2008. Imagine for the first time this year in history, the Windies will be playing New Zealand and Bangladesh during the rainy/hurricane seasons and during the month of September.

WICB has finally accepted that they can't fight the BCCI/India and have noticeably in the last two seasons prevented its international season from clashing with the IPL.

Going back to Sammy, His test record as captain was: 30 tests, 1032 runs, average 22.44 & 57 wickets, average 39.61. During his tenure, like the proverbial man with a short blanket on a cold night, the West Indies cricket team was constantly forced to either lighten its bowling or batting attack so as to include him.

In Sammy defence you got to feel sorry for him a bit in all of this. He didn't ask to be captain, he like any player who is given such an honour and he did the job to the best of his ability.

That?s why blame should be towards the selection panel for continuously picking him in tests - Sammy didn?t pick himself. Although Sammy could have followed what former Australian captain Kim Hughes versus the great Windies team in 1984 and just resign the test captaincy before the selectors wielded the axe.

Sammy also was not the blame for the batsmen?s inability in test cricket to construct big test innings and the overall mental fragility the team shows in the longer format, which has led the current West Indies team being labelled as just a ?T20 team?.

----------

quote said:

Sagicor HPC Team to host Bangladesh A Team in Barbados

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados ? The Sagicor West Indies High Performance Centre Team will host the Bangladesh A Team in a seven-match series in Barbados from May 26 to June 15.

The two teams will meet in two four-day matches, three 50-over matches and two Twenty20s at Kensington Oval, Desmond Haynes Oval, 3Ws Oval and Windward Cricket Club.

Please see below the squad for the two four-day matches. The players will assemble in Barbados on May 12 for a camp leading up to the series.

FULL SQUAD:

Sunil Ambris

Ronsford Beaton

Devendra Bishoo

Jermaine Blackwood

Carlos Brathwaite

Kraigg Brathwaite

Jonathan Carter

Sheldon Cottrell

Miguel Cummins

Assad Fudadin

Leon Johnson

Ashley Nurse

Chadwick Walton

MATCH SCHEDULE

May 26-29: 1st Four-day match at Windward Cricket Club

June 2-5: 2nd Four-day match at Kensington Oval

June 8: 1st 50-over match at Kensington Oval

June 10: 2nd 50-over match at Windward Cricket Club

June 12: 3rd 50-over match at Desmond Haynes Oval

June 14: 1st T20 at Kensington Oval

June 15: 2nd T20 at 3Ws Oval

IIRC according to the Pybus report by the new Windies director of cricket, this Sagicor team is essentially the new "A" team.

Based on some the the selections here, Braithwaite selection means it looks like Kieron Powell will be given a further chase for now to open with Gayle.

Certain young fast bowlers being picked here such as Cummins & Cottrell, probably means also a return for Jerome Tayor is imminent also Jason Holder may finally play tests.

----------

New Zealand in West Indies 2014 : McMillan joins New Zealand as batting coach | Cricket News | West Indies v New Zealand | ESPN Cricinfo

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
I like the look of the sagicor team. Ambris had a good d?but season and seems to be a good young player.
I hope that Beaton gets a go with all these fast bowlers selected.
And Carlos Brathwaite can use this as an opportunity to try to force his way into the WI team as an all rounder.

Haynes123

Club Captain
It is a good a team, from what one can then assume is that the test team might be:
Gayle
Edwards
Bravo
Chanderpaul
Samuels
DJ Bravo or Powell
Ramdin
Narine
Shillingford

One the front of fast bowlers I don't know who will be picked between taylor, holder, Rampaul, Cummins, Beaton, Cotterell, or Gabriel?

War

Chairman of Selectors
Bravo among five Trinis for Kiwis | The Trinidad Guardian Newspaper

Denesh Ramdin (captain), Chris Gayle, Kraigg Brathwaite, Keiran Powell, Darren Bravo, Dwayne Bravo, Marlon Samuels, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Kirk Edwards, Jermaine Blackwood, Sunil Narine, Shannon Gabriel, Jerome Taylor, Sulieman Benn, Shane Shillingford, Kenroy Peters, Shane Dowrich, Ashley Nurse, Jason Holder and Kemar Roach.

Haynes123

Club Captain
Have anyone seen kenroy peters bowl, I have not, I know he did well and is left but what type of bowler, is he medium, fast, fast medium, tall, short? Thanks

War

Chairman of Selectors
Have anyone seen kenroy peters bowl, I have not, I know he did well and is left but what type of bowler, is he medium, fast, fast medium, tall, short? Thanks

medium pacer 125-130 kph range, sometimes could reach 135ks. He took wickets this year, but generally he has been a journeyman domestic bowler.

Being age 32, I'm not sure why he was picked over young left-arm quick options such as Cotterell or Delorn Johnson.

Haynes123

Club Captain
medium pacer 125-130 kph range, sometimes could reach 135ks. He took wickets this year, but generally he has been a journeyman domestic bowler.

Being age 32, I'm not sure why he was picked over young left-arm quick options such as Cotterell or Delorn Johnson.

Thanks

Haynes123

Club Captain
The west indian fans here, do you really think there is hope for our future, that we will get better. I know the glory days are not possible, and that is one of my biggest mistakes, always comparing todays players with Lara, Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop, Haynes, Richardson, Marshall, maybe because I had the immense Privilege to see them live in action. I am always hoping, I am optimistic now because a lot has been happening that shows some positive signs.

westindies2007

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The Future of West Indies had always Been bright. until years ago, where the player keep the Matters off the field. WI also had issue with WICB in the past, but always left it out of the Field . In todays generation of Cricket they keep that even on the field they plays poorly due the issue of WICB. Not only this issue, unlike the 80's where WI was always winning, but now in this generation Selector doesn't give the younger Talent a Good run, And when a Player is drop because of Poor form, they dont get notice and nothing have been done to give them encouragement to improve there performance. Another thing is I am not blaming the T20 Competition, but due to Poor salary given to WI players, they look for alternative to gain Money from, unlike the 80s they played for the Pride, But the 80s team did one time run behind Money in Australia, where the WICB ban all of them from playing Cricket for WI. but due to the Consistency of those player they were retain, and very again did they run behind Money and up to V Richard the team played for Pride alone with given a few cash.
West Indies down fall, was alot of the old player left one time, which the younger players were unable make WI sucess a few Group tried in the last 90's When WI was on the down fall. Coming into the 00's I am not going against Lara, just to make it clear. The players started standing up the Cricket Board refusing to play if they don't get there contract sorted out under Lara. And from there With all the Board problem, Selection Panel problem keep dropping player for no sort of reason or don't let them play a good amount of matches. It seem players started to get fed up with WICB, and looked for other teams , where the IPL came around and so on. where they get paid big amount of Money to do what they love. Sammy era, may have been the worst era for alot of people, but it had Expose alot of other Talent outside Gayle, Sarwan, Nash, Devon Smith, Samuels, DJ Bravo, J Taylor, etc . Which again it's a Good sign for WI, but the Question is, How well will West Indies Selection panel and WICB handle these player. How Well will the selection panel use these player and how well will they be manage to give West Indies a great Future.
The Talent is there , The Stage is there, but without a Push The talent cant do nothing, they need to know what are they playing for and must have pride to play for WI. and not have in it in there Mine that the WI selector may pick me today and drop tomorrow.

As West Indies keep moving forward we need to stop given 10 players a Debut every year, work with the players find who is capable from who is not. and Stop thinking we will dominate or what WI to dominate from Day 1. Sammy era laid a Foundation for WICB to build on. Its all about going forward not and stop looking back. Looking for At least get to Rank 6 by next year. its not impossible, but have to work hard. and now we can have a Balance team again if WI selectors pick the right 11.

Users who are viewing this thread