New Zealand

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
For discussion about the New Zealand cricket team in the T20 World cup.

nzlogo.png

Squad

Batsmen
Neil Broom
Martin Guptill
Jesse Ryder
Ross Taylor

Bowlers
Daniel Vettori (captain)
Ian Butler
Kyle Mills
Iain O'Brien

All Rounders
Brendon Diamanti
James Franklin
Nathan McCullum
Jacob Oram
Scott Styris

Wicket Keepers
Brendon McCullum
Peter McGlashan

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
So what will the New Zealand XI look like, this is the team I would select.

1.Brendon McCullum(VC)
2.Jesse Ryder
3.Martin Guptill
4.Ross Taylor
5.Jacob Oram
6.Neil Broom
7.Nathan McCullum
8.Kyle Mills
9.Ian Butler
10.Daniel Vettori(C)
11.Iain O'Brien

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I would say that's the team taken. Bowling isn't as strong as the batting but if they can get the job done then NZ could go far in this tournament.

Ari

International Cricketer
So what will the New Zealand XI look like, this is the team I would select.

1.Brendon McCullum(VC)
2.Jesse Ryder
3.Martin Guptill
4.Ross Taylor
5.Jacob Oram
6.Neil Broom
7.Nathan McCullum
8.Kyle Mills
9.Ian Butler
10.Daniel Vettori(C)
11.Iain O'Brien

Franklin over Broom for me but otherwise I agree. I would like to see Diamanti get another chance T20 seems to be his best format but I just don't see room for him at the moment maybe if Butler isn't fully fit.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Franklin over Broom for me but otherwise I agree. I would like to see Diamanti get another chance T20 seems to be his best format but I just don't see room for him at the moment maybe if Butler isn't fully fit.

It's a toss up over those two for me at the moment, but I think Broom is a better international batsmen. Franklin has a pretty good domestic 20/20 record, but unless his bowling improves I just don't really want him in the team.

I don't even think Dire-manti deserved to be in the squad, he is never going to be good enough at the international level.

age of the fall

International Cricketer
Complete CD bias here, but i hope Diamanti gets a game or two.

And Ugh, Styris in the squad? Lets move on from him, get bondy in there :P.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Mills really needs to step up here. His T20 economy is almost 9 RPO which is just awful.

And IMO, Neil Broom is a hacker who shouldn't be near the NZ squad. I could handle any XI as long as he isn't featured.

What about McGlashan? Surely he's not just there to back up McCullum is he? I wouldn't mind seeing him get a run, he seems pretty explosive.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Mills really needs to step up here. His T20 economy is almost 9 RPO which is just awful.

And IMO, Neil Broom is a hacker who shouldn't be near the NZ squad. I could handle any XI as long as he isn't featured.

What about McGlashan? Surely he's not just there to back up McCullum is he? I wouldn't mind seeing him get a run, he seems pretty explosive.

Why the hate for Neil Broom, I think he is a pretty good player who has had very little time at the crease to show all his skills. He seems to always come in when we need quick runs.

I wouldn't mind McGlashan in the team, and I don't think he was picked incase McCullum went down injured, Ryder could just take the gloves anyway. But McGlashan is one of the best 20/20 batsmen in New Zealand, he loves playing the paddle shots and reverse sweeps and he is also a pretty big hitter of the cricket ball. I would say he might get a game or two.

Ari

International Cricketer

Yep that is one of my big concerns along with Oram whose bowling stats are even worse and he has also been out of form with the bat too. Should be interesting to see the warm up games I think most if not all the players will get a chance to play, just as long as Styris doesn't play when the real thing gets under way I am fine. :D

naresh091

International Cricketer
Oram doesnt look to be in form to me.
He played for the Superkings in almost all games,and was horrible with the bat (except one innings where he scored an explosive 31*) and was spanked all round the park even by Indian Domestic rookies.
He just let the side down when a lot of expectation was over him.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Oram doesnt look to be in form to me.
He played for the Superkings in almost all games,and was horrible with the bat (except one innings where he scored an explosive 31*) and was spanked all round the park even by Indian Domestic rookies.
He just let the side down when a lot of expectation was over him.

Oram isn't someone who can come in and smack the ball around right away, he needs a few overs atleast. In most of the games for Chennai he was coming in around the 14-15 over and even later sometimes. But his bowling seems to have gone down the toilet, which for NZ in 20/20 isn't too bad but his test future could be coming to an end.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Why the hate for Neil Broom, I think he is a pretty good player who has had very little time at the crease to show all his skills. He seems to always come in when we need quick runs.

I wouldn't mind McGlashan in the team, and I don't think he was picked incase McCullum went down injured, Ryder could just take the gloves anyway. But McGlashan is one of the best 20/20 batsmen in New Zealand, he loves playing the paddle shots and reverse sweeps and he is also a pretty big hitter of the cricket ball. I would say he might get a game or two.

Well, it's just my opinion. I haven't seen much of him - I've only seen him play against Australia and he just didn't make a good impression on me. He seemed to have one shot - the pull shot - and it honestly looked like he was shutting his eyes and swinging as hard as he could on that pull shot. When he connected it seemed like he could hit alright though and he's only young so he can only improve. Just seems he tries to hit the ball too hard, and that will probably improve with experience. His stats are also pretty average so I can't see why he should be given too much credit. Sure he's had to come in during bad circumstances, but then again so did Grant Elliott and he seemed to do alright.

I think McGlashan would be better to play than Broom.

Yep that is one of my big concerns along with Oram whose bowling stats are even worse and he has also been out of form with the bat too. Should be interesting to see the warm up games I think most if not all the players will get a chance to play, just as long as Styris doesn't play when the real thing gets under way I am fine. :D

The thing is, who could play if Mills is bad? Diamanti seems like the only backup there, assuming Butler and O'Brien are already in the XI. Franklin I suppose, but he's more a batsman in this format right? They seem to be one paceman short. For me Styris, Broom, McGlashan or Guptill should have been another quick bowler. Shane Bond would be good :D

Ari

International Cricketer
The thing is, who could play if Mills is bad? Diamanti seems like the only backup there, assuming Butler and O'Brien are already in the XI. Franklin I suppose, but he's more a batsman in this format right? They seem to be one paceman short. For me Styris, Broom, McGlashan or Guptill should have been another quick bowler. Shane Bond would be good :D

If Mills didn't play for sure it would be between Diamanti and Franklin. Franklin's bowling has been inconsistant in the two warm up games so far he bowled well against Bangladesh but Ireland hit him around a bit. Diamanti is even more of an unknowen having only played one ODI which in the end was washed out. He does average 17 with the ball which is good and why I want to see him get another chance. McGlashan looks good as well and I wouldn't mind seeing him get a go, finding room in the team might be difficult would take him over Broom for sure.

I am also starting to think Mills is carrying an injury of some kind he didn't bowl or bat in the first game and wasn't part of the second at all.

Users who are viewing this thread