New Zealand's Full Tour vs Pakistan : Oct 31-Dec 07,2018 in UAE

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
What a performance by Team Pakistan specially Hasan Ali. Really liked his aggression in the second innings. Turned things around in a flash for the team. He once again proved He is a special talent.

hammadahmed88

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Great to see Hassan Ali strike again. When the ball reverses, he is lethal. It's too bad the two new balls rule has kind of ruined bowling in ODIs. I guess there is some "penetration" after all. Either way, great partnership too from Nichols and Watling. Not sure what Ross Taylor's dilemma is in Test cricket. As good as he looked in the limited overs games, he seems to be struggling in red ball cricket. He's obviously good enough to make two doubles next game, but it seems a bit odd for now. Same can be said for Azhar Ali. He seemed all out of sorts in the first innings.

I'm also eagerly awaiting the return of Amir. If he gains back even part of his mojo, Hassan, Abbas and Amir can be a great trio for Pakistan. NZ I think would be better off going with Southee in the next game. Not sure why he was left out to be honest.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
NZ just keep finding a way. Williamson is the best captain going around in world cricket right now.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Only Pakistan and to some extent Australia in this era can loose like that. Close to 180 runs was always a tricky total to chase and Kiwi's had good armor in the bank. I agree with above poster on Williamson being the best captain amongst all the ones we currently have in test cricket.

Also Sarfaraz Ahmed fails yet again in a crucial match when the team needed him the most. 28 runs were needed when he came out to bat, he should have guided Pakistan home with Ali's almost heroic performance. Just being a chatter box shouting from behind the stumps is not captaincy, its actually leading from the front and setting an example. I do not know how many of my fellow Pakistani members feel the same as me. As captain in 8 matches he has scored only 373 runs with his average being modest 26 as compared to his career average of 38.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Only Pakistan and to some extent Australia in this era can loose like that. Close to 180 runs was always a tricky total to chase and Kiwi's had good armor in the bank. I agree with above poster on Williamson being the best captain amongst all the ones we currently have in test cricket.

Also Sarfaraz Ahmed fails yet again in a crucial match when the team needed him the most. 28 runs were needed when he came out to bat, he should have guided Pakistan home with Ali's almost heroic performance. Just being a chatter box shouting from behind the stumps is not captaincy, its actually leading from the front and setting an example. I do not know how many of my fellow Pakistani members feel the same as me. As captain in 8 matches he has scored only 373 runs with his average being modest 26 as compared to his career average of 38.

Sarfaraz is a terrible captain tactically. Azhar Ali is a proven performer on the world stage as is Asad Shafiq. I don't understand why they keep picking Hafeez. He's a proven non performer in test match cricket in overseas conditions. India and Pakistan love to reward test caps on the basis of limited overs performance.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Pakistan played exceptionally well throughout the test match. Just one bad session and quick wickets missed the train for them. I dont think so Sarfraz is much to blame. After Younis and Misbah, The test middle order hasnt settled yet and we are still in process to fill that wide gap. I think more onus was towards Azhar Ali, With the kind of experience and skill he had in test cricket, he could easily guide the team to win with the tail enders. However, He got to immense pressure and failed to deliver a match winning innings in the end. Great test match it was.

The second one will be a cracker for sure. I dont know about Hafeez, He will eventually score in these conditions. The culprit is Imam Ul Haq though who didnt deserve an International Cricket debut at this stage in the first place.

Moreover the most.experienced middle order batsman after Misbah and YK is Asad Shafiq. He hasnt lived upto the expectations cricketing community had with him after the exit of YK and Misbah

hammadahmed88

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Terrible and amazing, in the same game. What a great resilient performance from NZ. Absolute gem. That was a lesson in playing until it's over.

I have to agree with the criticisms of Sarfaraz as captain. He was also seemingly performing much better as a batsman when he wasn't captain. ( I could be wrong here but that's a feeling I get). I can't say this game was lost because of him though as it was batting, as always, that failed. Also, NZ were incredible in their tactics.

Just being a chatter box shouting from behind the stumps is not captaincy, its actually leading from the front and setting an example.

I agree with this 100%. I hate how he's constantly on younger players. Notice how he's significant'y quieter when it's a senior player. The discrepancy is much too big. Bowlers know what they're doing for the most part. They need confidence. He should watch some Dhoni tapes. In fact, everyone should.

Williamson is the best captain going around in world cricket right now.

That is definitely a fair position to hold. Can't argue with it. Although, just personally for me, I would back Faf here. I still think when Dhoni is on the field he is a kind of captain as well. So I'd pick him as the best (non)captain.

I don't understand why they keep picking Hafeez.

If they play him lower down the order as an allrounder than it's merited. Especially considering the lack of middle order batsmen on the team. As an opener though, completely agree. It's a mind boggling selection.

Believe

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
As an NZ fan I'm absolutely thrilled with that test match, but there is no way we should have won it. The Pakistani lower order just threw it all away. I thought Sarfaraz was just unfortunate, but then Yasir, Hasan etc just completely screwed over poor Azhar Ali. I thought he was batting beautifully, didn't look troubled at all, and if he had just one more of those guys stay with him for a little bit, he would've got over the line easily. Abbas did exactly what the 3/4 guys above him should've done.

Let's not even mention that ridiculous hoick from Asif Ali. WTF even was that...

Super impressed with Ajaz Patel. He's been around the top wicket takers in NZ domestic for a couple years, and he completely outbowled Sodhi. I like Ish, but I can't see him being our No.1 test spinner once this UAE series is done.

Can't wait for round 2.

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
The culprit is Imam Ul Haq though who didn't deserve an International Cricket debut at this stage in the first place.

Very, very true. He looks to be in the team purely because of his name and nothing else. Pretty sure there must be at least 5-10 batmen more deserving than him in the domestic circuit.

I agree with this 100%. I hate how he's constantly on younger players. Notice how he's significantly quieter when it's a senior player. The discrepancy is much too big.

I'm not sure it's as easy as it looks. Senior players don't like being criticised, let alone in public. Pakistan have had a relatively calm and controversy-free few years, harming dressing room harmony will ruin it all. And with Pakistan, we don't know who's in the team on merit and who's in because they paid off the selectors.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Maybe it was all because due to Aijaz Patel as we have history of making debutants/ordinary players as big stars particularly bowlers. Plenty of examples... one such is Grandhomme who is only playing uptil now on the reputation of his debut test match performance against Pakistan last year in NZ lol....

My free advise to NZ if they really want to win the second test match easily, Induct a new debutant bowler and you would have 90% chances

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
It wasnt an impossible job for Azhar Ali to cruise the team towards victory but he made it impossible by not guiding the tail enders well enough. With the kind of test experience Azhar had, he was an utter disappointment and proved that he is not a match winner. He can just come and score runs for his records just like many other such players came and survived for many years throughout other cricketing nations. Good for him but not good for the team. Great players cruise the team in such situations but not every good player can do it

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It wasnt an impossible job for Azhar Ali to cruise the team towards victory but he made it impossible by not guiding the tail enders well enough. With the kind of test experience Azhar had, he was an utter disappointment and proved that he is not a match winner. He can just come and score runs for his records just like many other such players came and survived for many years throughout other cricketing nations. Good for him but not good for the team. Great players cruise the team in such situations but not every good player can do it
I felt that Azar did a decnt job but was unlucky to finish off. What can he do if guys like Hasan Ali and Bilal goes for a slog instead of supporting him.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
I felt that Azar did a decnt job but was unlucky to finish off. What can he do if guys like Hasan Ali and Bilal goes for a slog instead of supporting him.
I agree with this. Azhar played really well just didn't have support at the other end. Looking at the highlights, Hasan Ali in particular played a purely brainless shot. Even though both are lower order batsmen, they should have used some common sense rather than look the hero.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK

Strongly disagree, Azhar is the senior batsman. What is the point of making Abbas face so much and not try and hit out? Pathetic play for a senior batsman.

I agree that the tail was irresponsible but as a senior batsman, I feel like Azhar failed to guide them. There was no proper communicating or strategy to the approach.

Users who are viewing this thread