New Zealand's Full Tour vs Pakistan : Oct 31-Dec 07,2018 in UAE

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Strongly disagree, Azhar is the senior batsman. What is the point of making Abbas face so much and not try and hit out? Pathetic play for a senior batsman.

I agree that the tail was irresponsible but as a senior batsman, I feel like Azhar failed to guide them. There was no proper communicating or strategy to the approach.

This! Moreover Its the senior batsman job to guide the tail-enders in such crunch situations. He kept on taking chances by giving strike to tailenders and hoping that a fluke six will come out of nowhere from a tailender and I will be the match winner. Hugely disappointing performance by Azhar Ali

Have you guys forgotten how Inzamam guided tail enders to win a test match against the mighty side of Australia in 1994? How he finished off test match against bangladesh back in 2003. Thats why its being said math winners are born not made. Azhad Ali is a very good test batsman but if wants to be called as match winner he has to perform better than this

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Strongly disagree, Azhar is the senior batsman. What is the point of making Abbas face so much and not try and hit out? Pathetic play for a senior batsman.

I agree that the tail was irresponsible but as a senior batsman, I feel like Azhar failed to guide them. There was no proper communicating or strategy to the approach.
Azhar is a limited batsman. Team management wasted a spot by investing in Azhar. He can't hit when it is needed. That's why he also couldn't manage to play in T20s all through his career.

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Azhar is a limited batsman. Team management wasted a spot by investing in Azhar. He can't hit when it is needed. That's why he also couldn't manage to play in T20s all through his career.
Exactly, but can't even hit a boundary over the infield?

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Azhar is what Rahul dravid was. Limited abilities. Every player isnt a match winner but overall he becomes useful for the team. They can win matches for the team on their own but can play a good supportive role which Azhar consistently played thus far. Lets not undermind his abilities to this extent. He has been good in his own capacity. But dont expect with him to win a match for the team on his own.

Many many batsmen around the world have survived well enough with their limited abilities. Plenty of examples

hammadahmed88

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Very, very true. He looks to be in the team purely because of his name and nothing else. Pretty sure there must be at least 5-10 batmen more deserving than him in the domestic circuit.

I'm not sure it's as easy as it looks. Senior players don't like being criticised, let alone in public. Pakistan have had a relatively calm and controversy-free few years, harming dressing room harmony will ruin it all. And with Pakistan, we don't know who's in the team on merit and who's in because they paid off the selectors.

Fair enough point. But even so, the style of leadership that Sarfaraz employs is not one I tend to favour.

hammadahmed88

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Of all the batsmen to criticize in Pakistan, I don't think Azhar Ali is one of them. He's not the problem. There is plenty broken with the machine when it comes to batting. I'm not even fully sold on Imam yet. He might become really good one day, but right now, he seems to pad his stats and perform against weaker opponents. Australia was short on their two best seamers in tests. You can't really rate that with any kind of legitimacy. Pakistan are way too harsh with their opening batsmen. They need to give them longer runs in tests. Where is Sami Aslam for eg? Something tells me though that Imam's run will be substantially longer. He can be upset all he wants with cries of nepotism, but the world knows what happens in Pakistan and what doesn't. People generally understand the deal there.

In terms of bowling, I think it might be time to bring Amir back. Enough of this already. Imad Wasim could also be a good option for tests. It would give Pakistan a good left arm orthodox option, with someone who can bat. Amir, Hassan and Abbas in South Africa would be pretty nice.

EDIT: On a side, even though the day looked to belong to PAK, I think NZ bowled exceptionally well with great discipline in unfavourable conditions. Patel looks like a good option for them. From what I have seen, I'm not sold on Sodhi but I could be wrong there. He doesn't seem like a good fit for test cricket. His stock delivery isn't as consistent with its length. Someone from NZ, having watched more matches, could probably make a better judgement call there.

Last edited:

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Azhar Ali isn't a problem for sure, He has been the cornerstone of test batting line-up, its just when you expect something from him which he isn't capable of and that is fine as every batsman has limitations and certain capabilities.

Haris Sohail has always been the most compact batsman in the middle-order, Injuries came into his career otherwise he would be the backbone of the Pakistan batting line-up in both ODI and Test Matches. He has a solid defense and that's what you need against good teams in test teams.

Babar, Azhar, and Sohail are the future of Test batting for Pakistan. I have more reservations with Asad Shafiq, He has been the most senior one out there, Vice-captain but consistently disappointing the management and fans due to his routine inconsistent performances. Pakistan should not afraid of trying out a new middle order batsman in place of him if he carries on with his inconsistencies. You can't just keep him playing based on his experience and being an old member of the team.

Imam-ul-Haq on the other hand, I don't consider him a disappointment rather he is just a forced selection by his Uncle who is doing unfair with other deserving opening batsmen like Shan Masood and Sami Aslam. Mark some statements, if this Imam will carry on with ODI he will be proven extremely damaging for the team particularly in World Cup. May we get a new opener soon replacing him. On the other hand, We have already Babar who can easily capture the opening slot alongside Fakhar Zaman for the ODIs and for test matches, more good run should be given to Sami Aslam and Shan Masood

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
TBH we should expect these results in ODIs and Tests when we don't select players on domestic merit and welcome PSL players mostly in the longer format.

Where's Usman Salahuddin. Why Saad Ali still hasn't debuted? Why Saud Shakeel is being neglected in the ODI side?

hammadahmed88

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I have more reservations with Asad Shafiq, He has been the most senior one out there, Vice-captain but consistently disappointing the management and fans due to his routine inconsistent performances

I have to agree with this completely. I love the man's demeanor. But, I frankly don't understand the fascination with Asad Shafiq. He's a good player no doubt, but I'm not sure how long he can hang on to the "he's a senior player" excuse. Just a friendly reminder that Shoiab Akhtar once said that Shafiq was "capable of being our Sachin Tendulkar..." I was so angered by that for both Tendulkar and Shafiq that I can't seem to forget it. It's unfair to Shafiq to set such ridiculously high and unachievable standards and it's a disgrace to the idea and concept of cricket to compare him to Tendulkar.

Morphed

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
Lol Pakistan have enforced follow on on New Zealand. Wow, Babar Azam's score was greater than New Zealand's entires innings score

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Yasir you beauty!!! A 10 wicket haul overall in the day. Fantastic performance. I hope some outsiders should come.into the thread and say hey what the hell happened lol. But they wont till they see if Pakistan is loosing? Lolx

Anyhow, Such a great day for Pak Cricket. Wonderdul turnaround. Though I disagree with the idea of enforcing follow on and continuing with spin options as newzeland has consolidated well in the second innings thus far. Pakistan should get them out asap and if chase thing happens the score should not be more than 50 runs.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Yasir you beauty!!! A 10 wicket haul overall in the day. Fantastic performance. I hope some outsiders should come.into the thread and say hey what the hell happened lol. But they wont till they see if Pakistan is loosing? Lolx

Anyhow, Such a great day for Pak Cricket. Wonderdul turnaround. Though I disagree with the idea of enforcing follow on and continuing with spin options as newzeland has consolidated well in the second innings thus far. Pakistan should get them out asap and if chase thing happens the score should not be more than 50 runs.

This is not Facebook or Youtube, have not seen this mentality here on Planet Cricket from anyone other then you. When the so called "OUTSIDERS" come and criticize Pakistan on loosing, they will come in here and praise Pakistan when needed. Not commenting on a days play does not necessarily mean that others are embarrassed of the fact that Pakistan bowled beautifully. Not trying to have a go at you or anything, but have seen similar things only from you.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
This is not Facebook or Youtube, have not seen this mentality here on Planet Cricket from anyone other then you. When the so called "OUTSIDERS" come and criticize Pakistan on loosing, they will come in here and praise Pakistan when needed. Not commenting on a days play does not necessarily mean that others are embarrassed of the fact that Pakistan bowled beautifully. Not trying to have a go at you or anything, but have seen similar things only from you.

Really? Take a look with your eyes open and you will realize then.

Anyhow, dont want to ruin the thread by arguing with you. Let us concentrate on the match and we would see how it goes.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Why did he enforce the follow-on? You never want to bat last on this pitch. Should've followed Misbah's example and played it safe, giving NZ 500+ to chase

Users who are viewing this thread