MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
That article's not exactly accurate. One HD/Ten lost the rights in late 2010 - after issues over exactly who had the right to sell them in the fist place.

The takeaway point is instead that even after a year, the BCCI haven't been able to negotiate a price with any Australian broadcaster. Ten's total disinterest in showing the IPL because of its rubbish ratings in 2010 probably adds to their reasoning for not buying it again, but it wasn't the actual reason for them not showing it.

Surprised Setanta Australia didn't buy it though, but if the article is right about the BCCI wanting to high of a price, then I can't imagine Setanta having the cash.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I didn't realise anyone had broadcoast it since the first season. At least if it was on Fox Sports, we'd be able to catch replays at a decent hour, but with games starting after midnight and commercial channels never replaying a thing, even cricket fans don't know about it's existence.

It couldn't be scheduled any worse from our point of view anyway, most of us are cricketed out by the end of the Summer and with our 3 codes of football a few weeks into their seasons, all interest has shifted for the next 6 months.

Last edited:

6ry4nj

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
The price would be the problem, not the ratings. Ten has no problem showing 6+ hours a day year round of Nascars going round a track for no adequately explained reason. It's like they film peak-hour traffic jams and then speed up the tape. I'd be surprised if anyone was watching that.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
The price would be the problem, not the ratings. Ten has no problem showing 6+ hours a day year round of Nascars going round a track for no adequately explained reason. It's like they film peak-hour traffic jams and then speed up the tape. I'd be surprised if anyone was watching that.
You say that, but Nascar is outrating their Breakfast show.

I didn't realise anyone had broadcoast it since the first season
Well apart from occasional matches shown on Ten, country viewers missed it because Ten/One HD didn't start in regional areas for ages after it launched in the mainland state capitals.

So there's a huge conspiracy to stop you watching IPL.

Users who are viewing this thread