India
CSK
Islamabad
Sydney Thunder
Southern Brave
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Was undecided between Saqlain Mushtaq and Waqar Younis. I'm going for Saqlain Mushtaq since i already have two good pacers.

Good choice. One of the best mystery spinner of pakistan, he can produce new delivery at critical moment of the game.:thumbs

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
images

Abdul Qadir
Qadir bowled leg spin when no one else did! There were no leg spin bowlers when Qadir was displaying his magic abilities to the world and bamboozling the batsmen all over. He is regarded as the master of leg spin. So much so that Graham Gooch once went onto say Qadir being finer than even Shane Warne! He was called the master because of how easily he had perfected the art of bowling the googly, flipper and the top spinner. It is said he had 2 different googlies and could easily bowl 6 different deliveries in an over! He wasn't a subdued spin bowler but was one with a mentality of a lethal pace bowler. Probably the first mystery spinner cricket fraternity had seen.

In the WCs, what stands out for Qadir is his match winning performances. He changed the course of he match many a times as is evident from the examples that follow. In the 1983 WC against SL (Link), SL are cruising at 101 for 1 chasing 235 and what Qadir does? He comes in and picks up a fifer, simple! SL fall short by 11 runs. In 1987 WC against Eng, he comes in and picks up a four fer after England were sitting easy at 141 for 2 and needing only a 99 more. But Qadir's heroics mean Pakistan snatch victory by 18 runs.

Qadir was a fighter, a warrior. If his bowling wasn't enough to prove it, his batting surely did it! The memorable knock of 16 not out in the 1987 WC where he smashed 16 runs in the final over of the match against Courtney Walsh is one such instance of Qadir's batting appetite and his fighting spirit! He will be a wonderful addition to my WC XI.

Mts: 13
Inns: 13
Wkts: 24 @ 21.08
SR: 33.9
Eco: 3.72
4wkts: 2
5wkts: 1
MotM: 3

Mts: 13
Inns: 9
Runs: 118 @ 59.00
SR: 79.72
HS: 41*

602539-kumar-sangakkara-twitter.jpg

Kumar Sangakkara
Kumar Sangakkara is a like a wine, he kept on getting better and better as the time went by! His batting improved day in and day out and his hunger for runs kept getting bigger and bigger and more so in WC cricket. After 2 quite WCs in 2003 and 2007, Sangakkara played a vital role in taking SL to the final of the 2011 WC which they eventually lost to India. However, it was the 2015 WC which elevated Sangakkara's WC stocks as he became the first batsmen ever in WC history to score 4 consecutive hundreds! He is the 3rd highest run getter in all WC cricket behind only Tendulkar and Ponting.

A stylish and very elegant stroke maker, Sangakkara made batting look very easy and a treat to watch. He never tried to overhit the ball and relied mostly on timing and grace to score all these runs. Kumar also is one of the best WK in ODI history and maybe the best in WCs but at par for sure with Gilly if not better. His 54 dismissals is the highest for a WK in all WC cricket. He played most of his games at 3 but is equally capable of getting runs anywhere in the XI so he will bat at a crucial number 4 in my WC XI. Ponting, Sangakkara and Yuvraj Singh! Is there a better looking and at the same time more explosive middle order here? I don't think so!

Mts: 37
Inns: 35
Runs: 1532 @ 56.74
HS: 124
SR: 86.55
50s: 7
100s: 5
MotM: 4

Catches: 41
Stumpings: 13
Rebel2k18's WC XI -

03. :aus: :bat: Ricky Ponting :c:
04. :sri: :bat: Kumar Sangakkara :wk:
05. :ind: :ar: Yuvraj Singh
08. :eng: :ar: Chris Old
09. :ban: :ar: Khaled Mahmud
10. :pak: :bwl: Abdul Qadir
11. :nz: :bwl: Shane Bond

I can't believe Qadir wasn't picked and guys like Gul and Afridi got ahead of him. Good for me.

I have 3 writeups to do now and hopefully I will be able to do them tomorrow. Haven't been able to access my PC at all in 2 days. Also I have started the SL round as only Wolfy is left in the Pak round.

I really like that middle order of mine now and the bowling looks really good too. I was literally torn between Qadir or an opener but decided to go for Qadir as I was sure I won't be getting such a great spinner that too a leggie after this. And for Sangakkara I think he is at par with Gilly as far as the best wkb in the wc is concerned. For me I will even say he is slightly ahead of Gilly! More details later in the writeups...

Last edited:
B

Bigby Wolf

Saeed Anwar

Pakistan

Can't believe people misses out on him but good for me was looking for openers in the squad.

Also info coming up later.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
images

Abdul Qadir
*Writeup later*

602539-kumar-sangakkara-twitter.jpg

Kumar Sangakkara
*Writeup later*
Rebel2k18's WC XI -

03. :aus: :bat: Ricky Ponting :c:
04. :sri: :bat: Kumar Sangakkara :wk:
05. :ind: :ar: Yuvraj Singh
08. :eng: :ar: Chris Old
09. :ban: :ar: Khaled Mahmud
10. :pak: :bwl: Abdul Qadir
11. :nz: :bwl: Shane Bond

I can't believe Qadir wasn't picked and guys like Gul and Afridi got ahead of him. Good for me.

I have 3 writeups to do now and hopefully I will be able to do them tomorrow. Haven't been able to access my PC at all in 2 days. Also I have started the SL round as only Wolfy is left in the Pak round.

I really like that middle order of mine now and the bowling looks really good too. I was literally torn between Qadir or an opener but decided to go for Qadir as I was sure I won't be getting such a great spinner that too a leggie after this. And for Sangakkara I think he is at par with Gilly as far as the best wkb in the wc is concerned. For me I will even say he is slightly ahead of Gilly! More details later in the writeups...
Saeed Anwar

Pakistan

Can't believe people misses out on him but good for me was looking for openers in the squad.

Great picks. As we are 50% done with the draft, people would go for the player according to their squad requirement. And yes, both Anwar and Qadir were on my shortlist. It was like:

Qadir > Anwar > Raja > Mushtaq.

I thought Akram, Imran would be picked first. But since Imran wasn't picked, I got him. btw I was planning to pick Qadir in 'Best of Rest' but you got him. :)

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Saeed Anwar

Pakistan

As I said I was confused as hell between Anwar and Qadir. I too still need my openers and now I realize I am near the end in SA, WI and BotR rounds. It might make my life more difficult. But to defend myself, I couldn't have got a better spinner than Qadir whereas with a bit of luck I can get openers equal to or maybe even better than Anwar.

Saeed Anwar has nice stats in the WC but I just can't remember any of his match winning innings or match defining innings tbh. Still a very good pick and way better than some players picked ahead of him. Also I am amazed the other W has missed the bus here. People might grab him in the last round but surely should have been picked in this round!

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Muttiah Muralitharan.

CerealKiller's XI

1. Matthew Hayden
2. Tamim Iqbal
4. Mike Gatting
8. Tim Southee
9. Zaheer Khan
10. Saqlain Mushtaq
11. Muttiah Muralitharan

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
C3FD5eOXUAUnDiQ

Chaminda Vaas

Vaas was the opening bowler for Sri Lanka for over a decade. A natural swing bowler, and useful batter down the order, he has been the best bowler for Sri Lanka after Muralitharan to get to 400 ODI wickets, the fourth bowler to do so in history of ODI cricket. In his 15 yrs of International Career, he was relatively free of injuries which is very rare in case of bowlers. He has set number of international record for wicket hauls and best bowling figures. He is the youngest bowler to get to 300 ODI wickets.

ICC WC 2003, Chaminda Vaas picked up 23 wickets and became the leading wicket taker of the tournament. His 6-25 against Bangladesh was his best figures in that tournament and also picked up 3 wickets (hattrick) in the first 3 balls of Bangladesh innings. It is the first time that a bowler has taken 3 wickets in first 3 deliveries of an innings.

He has dismissed important higher and middle order batsmen such as Adam Gilchrist, Ricky Ponting, Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and Stephen Fleming. Vaas has taken two ODI hat tricks in his career, the third of only four players to have achieved the feat. The first was taken as part of his 8/19 spell in 2001. Vaas is also one of only two bowlers to take two five-wicket hauls at McLean Park. In 2004, he also gained overdue recognition for his talent when he was selected for the World XI at the inaugural ICC Awards. Vaas currently holds the record for the best bowling figure in ODI history, and only bowler to take an 8 wicket-haul in ODIs (8/19 against Zimbabwe). He has represented Sri Lanka in 4 World Cups i.e, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2007. He is the 4th highest wicket taker in World Cup after McGrath, Muralitharan, Akram.

I'm glad he will be the part of my WC squad and also along with McGrath, can take on any batting unit. And will bat down the order which adds more depth to my batting lineup.

One of his best bowling performances, he successfully defended 8 runs off the final over against Australia in 2nd ODI, 2003. And it's really amazing to see that the batsmen on crease were Bevan and Symonds. Australia lost by 1 run. Lol!

Chaminda Vaas' World Cup Stats:

Innings: 31
Wkts: 49
Avg: 21.22
Eco: 3.97
4ws: 1
5ws: 1
BBI: 6/25
Innings: 31
Runs: 219
Avg: 21.90
Sr: 73.98
HS: 29*

PresidentEvils's World Cup XI:

1. :nzf: :bat: Glenn Turner
3. :ind: :wkb: Rahul Dravid
4. :eng: :bat: Allan Lamb
5. :pak: :ar: Imran Khan :c:
6. :ban: :ar: Minhajul Abedin
9. :sri: :ar: Chaminda Vaas
11. :aus: :bwl: Glenn McGrath​

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
This round is already making me reminisce about the previous generation of Sri Lankan cricketers :noway
Hopefully one day someone from the current crop will qualify for a list like this!
Yeah what amazes me is how quickly SL cricket has declined. Suddenly stopped producing quality players. Maybe the management is to be blamed but yeah it is always sad to see teams decline this bad.[DOUBLEPOST=1539418496][/DOUBLEPOST]And a wonderful pick in Vaas. Absolute team man and a sort of player you need in your XI.

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Another turn where I'm last and I have no one in top 3. I should've picked at least on opener. I have my 15 players Sri Lankan list so no issue. Hope for best :)

B

Bigby Wolf

Aravinda De Silva.

Srilanka

Super busy guys .... so info coming as soon as I am free.

Users who are viewing this thread