Pakistan v Australia in England, June-July 2010

Robelinda

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
North was always a risky selection, his record isnt strong for WA but he was picked as a somewhat experienced mature cool headed player, i dont know where this fighting attitude comes from the selectors talked about, bloody nonsense. The guy is an average first class cricketer who they hoped would take the next step, instead he brought his FC weaknesses with him to test cricket. Doesnt he only average 41 or 42 in FC cricket? Surely guys who average close to 50 are worth giving a long go, like Hughes.

Last edited:

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
May have come from some of his recent knocks before being selected. David Hussey was the other contender at the time and his FC average is brilliant but he looked to be one that kept getting out after a 50 odd, right now that doesn't look too bad! And yea North FC average is around 40, the other thing that got him picked was his spin bowling which was understandable since our main spinner was still uncertain.

Robelinda

International Coach
whats funny is how much he doesnt bowl for WA, he is very rarely relied upon to do a job, so now bloody idea why that was even a factor in his selection. 66 wickets at 45 for WA??? Sure he has done a decent job for Australia with the ball and all credit to him, but guys like D Hussey churn out 1000 runs every season, cant ignore that amazing consistent form.

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors
May have come from some of his recent knocks before being selected. David Hussey was the other contender at the time and his FC average is brilliant but he looked to be one that kept getting out after a 50 odd, right now that doesn't look too bad! And yea North FC average is around 40, the other thing that got him picked was his spin bowling which was understandable since our main spinner was still uncertain.

Yea at the time going into the 08/09 tour to SA. It was North vs Hussey. I reckon North's bowling TBF is better for tests than D Hussey though. Hussey TBF is only effective as bowlers in ODIs & T20 bowling those darts.

But North is AUS worst # 6 in about 20 years though. In the long run i think Hughes/Katich should open & send Watson back down to # 6

Looking back on the series however:

- 2 test series never make sense. Wish we had another one.

- AUS are definately out of the post McWarne transitionary period. But unfortunately a nasty trait developing in the amount of batting collapses that tend to happen ever now & again. Its very troubling & i hope its not a norm that we will be continously be seeing over & over.

- Really excited about what Smith can become. Has the ability to become a world-class spin bowling all-rounder for sure. Hopefully he follows in the road of Benaud & noT Greg Matthews.

- Mitchell Johnson has a very weird habit in which after having a break from cricket or injury. He takes a a fair few games to get back into his bowling mojo. He needs to work on that, since thats not a nice trait for a senior fast bowler to have.

- On PAK. Get Younis & Yousuf back ASAP & thats a solid team again.

Last edited:

Robelinda

International Coach
Agree 2 test series are useless.

Really cant understand these batting collapses, only Dougie is a bit of a bunny, no way should we be getting rolled in the manner we are. If Ponting, Clarke and Hussey cant stop a collapse then i'm not sure anyone is going to that isnt in the team, because there sure arent guys better in FC cricket in Australia.

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand
Yea I really did wish there was a third Test. The series overall was pretty exciting to watch but now that it's over and locked at 1-1, you anticipate a decider and then find that's it. Really got to fix that.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
- AUS are definately out of the post McWarne transitionary period. But unfortunately a nasty trait developing in the amount of batting collapses that tend to happen ever now & again. Its very troubling & i hope its not a norm that we will be continously be seeing over & over.

It's something I did not expect to see when they retired. Seems to be a mix of Hussey not being his consistent self and the batsmen not having the same confident in the bowlers so they feel the pressure of getting that extra 100 runs to defend.

- Mitchell Johnson has a very weird habit in which after having a break from cricket or injury. He takes a a fair few games to get back into his bowling mojo. He needs to work on that, since thats not a nice trait for a senior fast bowler to have.

If one of the backups can get into the side and make a name for himself then Johnson will have no choice but to fix that if he wants to stay in the team. We can't carry a bowler for 3 Test matches.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
whats funny is how much he doesnt bowl for WA, he is very rarely relied upon to do a job,so now bloody idea why that was even a factor in his selection.

:facepalm Particularly when we've already got a batting all-rounder in Shane Watson. And Simon Katich and Michael Clarke can do a reasonable job of part time spin. Pup for quick, tidy overs. Katich if you want a wicket.

Picking North because he can bowl is like picking James Hopes in ODIs because he can bat and like England picking Ashley Giles all those Tests because he could bat, it's just not right. The question you need to ask is if North couldn't bowl at all would he have been picked? No, probably not I think D.Hussey would beat him. Same for James Hopes. If he couldn't bat, he'd be nowhere near the ODI team.

Robelinda

International Coach
Indeed. Crazy stuff. I really dont know why you pick a batsman who has played FC for 10 years and only averages 42, yet dont pick Dussey or Kilnger how have been simply incredible, stats wise anyway. The there's the dropping of Hughes...

You know, how about Watson as our long term number 3 after Ponting, or even 4? I think he has the game, not so sure he's a good number 6. Hughes could then open with Marsh, Katich wont be around for that much longer, 2 or 3 years max. Its kinda scary that only 2 batsmen in our top 6 are going to be around in 3 years. Not good planning there.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
- On PAK. Get Younis & Yousuf back ASAP & thats a solid team again.

Rather they stick with these youngsters and let them improve instead of those guys coming in and screwing with the team chemistry. Butt has shown that he can lead the team all be it for one test but he seems to know what hes doing. Not everything will go his way, certainly not another toss decision like this but its better then Younis and Yousuf trying to tell him what to do and messing with the youngsters minds.
They have a solid team structure with solid coaching, no need for Younis and Yousuf.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
"I don't think Smith will put pressure on North," Ponting said. "I thought the runs we got out of Smith yesterday were pretty entertaining and very valuable as far as the game is concerned. You can look at all of our batsmen through this tour, we've faced some pretty challenging conditions at different times. Both innings at Lord's the ball went around a fair bit, the first innings here was probably the most challenging conditions that any of us have batted in."

Batting a disappointment for Australia | Cricket News | Pakistan v Australia 2010 | Cricinfo.com

Rubbish excuse, the Pakistan batsmen had no problem admittedly our bowlers didn't bowl anywhere near as well. The article also goes onto mention we won't face these conditions back home, well they must have forgot us being bowled out for 127. I could handle the excuse if it was a one off but this is our 5th time being bowled out for under 200 in the past 2 years and there are about 5 others where we barely made 200.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
You know, how about Watson as our long term number 3 after Ponting, or even 4? I think he has the game, not so sure he's a good number 6. Hughes could then open with Marsh, Katich wont be around for that much longer, 2 or 3 years max. Its kinda scary that only 2 batsmen in our top 6 are going to be around in 3 years. Not good planning there.

Don't mind the idea of Watson at #3, he'll probably be fighting Usman for the spot and I guess it would also depend who turns up to open opposite Hughes. Clarke would probably be the other possible choice for #3 as well. As for the age thing, it's looking like the 2013 Ashes might be when the new boys will need to be ready as surely Katich, Ponting and Hussey will be all done by then (at the latest). Ponting was mooting the idea that he might be still going by then, but I wouldn't count on it. If we lose the Ashes this summer, Ponting will probably get canned anyway I would think. So for 2013 you might have something like:
Hughes
Watson
Khawaja
Clarke
White/Bailey/Marsh/whoever...
Ferguson
Paine/Wade
etc.

There's also plenty of wildcards: Steve Smith would probably have settled and developed his batting more, Phil Jaques might score a ton of runs, Dave Warner might be good at FC cricket by then or Cosgrove might have got fit or Pomersbach might have stayed off the grog long enough to make it too. Maybe Marcus North might still be around - he'd only be 34 :p

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Batting a disappointment for Australia | Cricket News | Pakistan v Australia 2010 | Cricinfo.com

Rubbish excuse, the Pakistan batsmen had no problem admittedly our bowlers didn't bowl anywhere near as well. The article also goes onto mention we won't face these conditions back home, well they must have forgot us being bowled out for 127. I could handle the excuse if it was a one off but this is our 5th time being bowled out for under 200 in the past 2 years and there are about 5 others where we barely made 200.
Other than this test match, every game that Australia has been bowled out for less than 200 in the last I think 10 years, Australia has still managed to win.

Robelinda

International Coach
The other problem with Watson is that he's fast becoming our best bowler, even Kallis couldnt cope at 3 and bowl a stack of overs, so you'd have to move Watson down unless he REALLY didnt want to. Time will tell I guess. I think Ponting will retire after this Ashes anyway, his one day career ends after the World Cup, I dont see him lasting in tests until 2013, but he could come good again.

Users who are viewing this thread