Pakistan's tour of Australia - 3 T20Is and 2 Tests - November/December 2019

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
PlanetCricket Award Winner
The Boys
That's what you get for leaving out your best-performing bowler in the format against a formidable opposition.

Not saying the result would've been different, but I do think it wouldn't have been as embarrassing it was.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
That's what you get for leaving out your best-performing bowler in the format against a formidable opposition.

Not saying the result would've been different, but I do think it wouldn't have been as embarrassing it was.
And now they're gonna bring him back for the next match, dropping Imran right after strongly backing him, and putting Abbas in a difficult spot, with everyone expecting him to perform. Lose-lose situation, unless he blows Australia away.
On the other hand, should the batting order stay the same? Haris has had an awful tour, but i think he needs to be given the next match and the 2 against Sri Lanka at home.

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
The Boys
And now they're gonna bring him back for the next match, dropping Imran right after strongly backing him, and putting Abbas in a difficult spot, with everyone expecting him to perform. Lose-lose situation, unless he blows Australia away.
On the other hand, should the batting order stay the same? Haris has had an awful tour, but i think he needs to be given the next match and the 2 against Sri Lanka at home.
I don't think Haris Sohail is a test batsman, just yet. Watching him play with his head nowhere near the ball makes me think he needs some time to develop his style, preferably through first-class cricket. I would bring Imam-Ul-Haq in for him. And move Azhar Ali to number three.

God, I hope they bring Fawad Alam into the team. I know I sound like a broken record, but Fawad Alam HAS to be brought into the team and given as much opportunities as everyone else before him have gotten. I would argue he is the best red-ball batsman we have in the country, I would even rate him above Babar Azam.

In an ideal world, I think Azhar Ali, Fawad Alam, Babar Azam & Asad Shafiq (NOT in that order) would make for one hell of a batting-order for Pakistan.

In the next game, I do think the lineup needs to be reshuffled. Why is Babar Azam batting at five? He needs to be in the top-four, and I think Mohammad Rizwan should move up Asad Shafiq. It might not be a popular opinion, but I think having Asad Shafiq as a safeguard while Rizwan is tested out at a higher position is the right thing to do.

Don't think Iftikhar Ahmed is a test-player as well. He was picked solely on his twenty20 performances, which is just maddening. I'd give Kashif Bhatti the chance over him in the next game.

If I were the captain, I'd choose this as the playing xi:

Shan Masood
Imam-Ul-Haq
Azhar Ali*
Babar Azam
Mohammad Rizwan†
Asad Shafiq
Kashif Bhatti^
Yasir Shah^
Mohammad Abbas^
Shaheen Afridi^
Naseem Shah^

Five proper bowlers, as well as an option for part-time bowling (Azhar Ali).

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Shan Masood
Imam-Ul-Haq
Azhar Ali*
Babar Azam
Mohammad Rizwan†
Asad Shafiq
Kashif Bhatti^
Yasir Shah^
Mohammad Abbas^
Shaheen Afridi^
Naseem Shah^
Don't need two spinners in Australia, unless it's Sydney. I don't think there's much wrong with the batsmen picked, i just think they didn't play well enough

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
The Boys
Don't need two spinners in Australia, unless it's Sydney. I don't think there's much wrong with the batsmen picked, i just think they didn't play well enough
I thought the same but I didn't wanna drop Yasir Shah since he's been quite successful even with the bat, but also didn't wanna play Iftikhar Ahmed. We went with two spinners in the previous game at The Gabba, so why not swap one spin-bowling allrounder out for another for a test at Adelaide?

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I thought the same but I didn't wanna drop Yasir Shah since he's been quite successful even with the bat, but also didn't wanna play Iftikhar Ahmed. We went with two spinners in the previous game at The Gabba, so why not swap one spin-bowling allrounder out for another for a test at Adelaide?
Kashif Bhatti's batting is not as good as Iftikhar. And Iftikhar and Haris only bowled so much because Australia played a long innings.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I think that was a good test from the PAK pov. I think, like most of the sub continent teams, our downfall overseas comes when we lose wickets in clusters. The opportunity to boss the test was lost on day 1 after a very good start. It's easy to criticise the bowling but AUS these days tends to produce flat tracks with things happening only after day 2 and that too late on day 3. Hope the coach and support staff are not blamed for this. Although, no clue why that clown Younis is the bowling coach!

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Is anyone expecting a triple ton from Warner? He seems to be pacing his innings just right for that magical figure. Truth be told, Aussies can bat out the entire day today as well. They've already 'out-batted' Pakistan in this Test. Very very difficult for Pakistan to compete here.

B

Bigby Wolf

Why is Waqar Younis being selected in the coaching personnel after not being successful for like 3 or more times is beyond me?

The bowling lineup is just too raw at the moment to be successful at the highest level Pakistan needs serious changes in the management , Misbah as a coach and selector is so far turning out to be a absolute disaster since his appointment.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Why is Waqar Younis being selected in the coaching personnel after not being successful for like 3 or more times is beyond me?

The bowling lineup is just too raw at the moment to be successful at the highest level Pakistan needs serious changes in the management , Misbah as a coach and selector is so far turning out to be a absolute disaster since his appointment.
It seems kind of remarkable that a 19 year old who averages 37 and has an economy of almost 4 is getting picked.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India

Its a team in transition. New coach, new selector, new bowlers and a new captain. In their very first challenge, they are up against Australia who aren't pushovers in their backyard. Some more time is needed for these bowlers to make their mark and also for the captain to know his team well.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
A missed opportunity. Time was not a factor here. Even if Australia bat through the entire day/night, they would still have 3 full days to bowl Pakistan out (something which can be expected given the morale of Pakistan at the moment)

An hour would have been enough for Warner to breach 400.

Users who are viewing this thread