PC Graphics Maker Championship Season 8 | Final Round - R#10 Results + Season Summary!

Which is the best entry?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
I've ranked them from worst to best and added comments:
Funknath:
muraliyb8.jpg

There is nothing holding this together, no background and no effects of any variety. While perhaps this might achieve a minimalist approach, it falls short design wise. The use of the one image twice, just with different levels of zoom (and arm length), in no real pattern makes it look exactly what it is, two images and some text.

Speaking of the text, having it across his face and tucked away in the corner doesn't help. The font choice is not the best, something less 'old style' would be more suitable, or at least something a bit more bold.

CoolzEng45:
montypansar3mr9.jpg

Quite a big jump in quality here, but there is something missing. Monty's picture looks a bit washed out, if it is behind a few layers, bring it up a bit. Otherwise reduce any transparency and play with the contrast a bit. Contrast seems to be the issue here, there is a light background (that is fairly well put together) and then the stuff on top is just not contrasting enough.

This is most evident in the text, which, while good looking, needed to be darker (but that orangy tone is good). The solution here might be to just make the background darker, it would make the stuff on top stand out much better.

punterpupnroy :
2ik2lnt.png

Two things let this down, the white glow around Casson and the text.

The blue rounded rectangles on the left might have been a bit better in orange, but apart from that the background is fairly nice.

The glow needed to be black if it were to be there at all, it just stands out way too much and makes the player look pale. The way Ayub has got the colour on Casson is much better, even though the difference is tiny.

The text is too bold, and could do with a bit of an effect on it. It just looks like a last minute addition, the placement is also a bit odd. So to improve it, a lighter font, at a bigger size and spread out a bit.

Here is an example (not to say it is perfect, but just something to consider):
casson.jpg

vickyrox :
10gljqh.jpg

The background is nice, but the semi-border thing looks a bit odd, especially due to the uneven width. I'd just drop that black rectangle altogether, the background is fine without it.

The effects on top of the player are slightly over the top, the red stuff near his shoulder looks very odd, especially as it covers his face. Without that the rest is fine.

An odd choice of font there, the fancy twirly stuff doesn't really fit in with the rest. Making the name a bit bigger (as that is the more important thing) would be good.

KBChandraw :
2zpicr7.png

Panesar is completely hidden in the background and having his name in the wrong order seems very odd. A mass of effects on the right leaves a very dull side, and it really just seems to be a giant orange blob with a player in the middle on the other side.

Spreading out what is there and making Monty the forefront of the image would improve it. The background should complement the image, not be the major thing.

However it is well put together and the graphical ability shows. Just seems to miss the mark on this occasion.

Dr. Pepper :
2is8g7o.png

The background is what I like most on this, a really crisp and vibrant image. The foreground is a bit of an issue though, the bat, ball and flag seem just chucked on in front. I'd suggest pretending the bat and ball are buildings and put them on the landscape (who wouldn't want to see a giant cricket bat tower?) and removing the flag.

The green text doesn't stand out enough, a white shadow might help, but a brighter colour would probably work better.

Ayub 95 :
Casson-1.png

Contrast an issue here as well, turn the green in the background up a slight bit and make the text much darker, it is near unreadable as it is.

The ingredients for it are nice, it is minor touches here that are the issue. Besides the text, the border should go over the top of everything, it looks quite odd having the player over the top of it. A slightly thicker border might be nice as well. The Casson's image looks very good, with the right colour balance creating good contrast.

I did a really quick edit of this (not worth posting), but with a bit of a black tint on all but Casson, it improves it a huge amount. Overall a great effort, keep up the good work.

PranavPathak :
78934yk5.jpg

I like this a lot. But I think the flowery stuff on the sides was unnecessary. The font fits with the design well, and as such is a good choice, but is a bit difficult to read.

The background is nice and subtle and the other effects are done very well.

Tanmay :
wkr8tu.jpg

This is quite good. My only issues are that Warne is a bit too transparent and seems to be missing a hand, and how close the text is to the edge.

Put a border on it, nudge the text about 10px and then make Warne opaque and you have a great sig.

Leggie :
mendisv2aq4.png

I can't think of much to say about this, it is great, but not quite as good as the next three. Probably just personal preference now.

Mad Snake :
cassonstocksgz2.jpg

Again this is great. The only issue I have with it is how many NSWs are on it, four is a bit too many, just the one and perhaps a transparent one somewhere else would suffice.

treva :
sachinsotwsigfm0.jpg

The thing that knocked this out of top spot for mine was the comparative size of Sachin, just seems to be too tiny for how big the picture is. Basically if he we bigger such that he stopped at the top where his shirt does (so about half bigger again) it would be practically perfect.

The background is subtle, and the effects are just enough, not overbearing like KBC's was or too little like Funknath. Great work Treva!

Fear 09 :
sigwarnewo6.jpg

This just takes top spot, I like the balance of colours with a nice silver set on a grey-black background. Should have had a capital S for Shane but apart from that, brilliant.

And as such Fear 09 gets my vote.

---------------------

Hopefully this feedback helps you all improve, if you want any more detail on it send me a visitor message and I'll post a bit in your thread (when I get around to it).

domiw

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
can someone pm me the next theme... i got time to kill now and i am usually busy on week..

Pranav

ICC Board Member
can someone pm me the next theme... i got time to kill now and i am usually busy on week..
No. The winner of the current competition will think of a theme. He will send it to me or KBC via PM.

I just have one thing to say. Next time entries should be sent to the starter of this competition in a PM and then the person starts a thread and posts the entries as "Entry 1:" "Entry 2:" and so on just so people don't vote for their friends and stuff. :)

Yeah, thats what we are gonna do. :)

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
So are you gonna keep the voting the way it is now?

I know I keep whinning but I dont see why when Pranav said yes for it, and kbc no you guys dont do it. This is Pranav's thing.

KBC

Panel of Selectors
So are you gonna keep the voting the way it is now?

I know I keep whinning but I dont see why when Pranav said yes for it, and kbc no you guys dont do it. This is Pranav's thing.

Well, i'll make this clear, many don't seem to understand this:

From this monday, send your entry to Pranav via PM, or just Me, or if you want to take up the hosting thing up, you can join it too.

While sending your entry, please send the details in this manner:

Entry: Your entry.

Stock: Stocks are necessary in order to avoid plagiarism.

Theme: Choose your favourite theme.

And yes FB, please, understand this again, NO multiple votes will be allowed. If that FA is doing it, there's no reason we should do that and this is the best method to gain the perfect results possible. :) Please.

Why couldn't you just put up a poll?

I vote for Fear 09.

This is a better technique, mate. Polls have lot of confusion and limitations. See, even in this week, there are more entries than the number of entries than we can put in a poll. And also, silly things happen. When you want to vote for one person, you click the other by mistake and select vote. It has happened a lot of times and resulted in self-voting too.

Also, this is good as far as this week's voting is concerned. :) So, i'm not saying whatever is there right now is permanent, there will/may be changes.

Cheers.

vickyrox

Club Captain
Well, i'll make this clear, many don't seem to understand this:

From this monday, send your entry to Pranav via PM, or just Me, or if you want to take up the hosting thing up, you can join it too.

While sending your entry, please send the details in this manner:

Entry: Your entry.

Stock: Stocks are necessary in order to avoid plagiarism.

Theme: Choose your favourite theme.

Wont it be better if give the psd instead ...

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Pranav said yes for the multiple voting so I was just wondering why your choice was the final one.

KBC

Panel of Selectors
I'm starting to consider this, keeping in mind that it will create heck and severe confusion. Anyway, for this month, there'll be no changes. If any changes or adjustments are to be considered, yes, they can be done in the next month; I.E., December. :)..

Thank you. :D..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread