[PCCL 2010] Call for Commentary

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I am badly in need of commentary. There's only so much I can plagiarize off Cricinfo! Here are the macros available in commentary

Macros
{bowler} = Bowler
{striker} = Striker
{nonstriker} = Non-striker
{fielder} = Fielder
{battingTeam} = name of batting team
{bowlingTeam} = name of bowling team
{battingTeam:Captain} = captain of batting team (similar for bowlingTeam)
{battingTeam:WicketKeeper} = keeper of batting team (similar for bowlingTeam)

There are currently 8 events I'm collecting commentary for:

Dots, Ones, Twos, Threes, Fours, Sixes, Wickets-Bowled, Wickets-LBW

Thanks!

Highlander999

ICC President
I'm sure if you just registered and waited for your first match, you would get all the commentary you needed, or you could get a few Battrick users to copy and paste the commentary from their matches for you to use :)

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
That's just plagaraism though, I remember we came up with a load for you a while back Sohum.

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
TAOC forum possibly? I think there was a thread? But I'm not sure.

The Spin

Panel of Selectors
There definitely was at some point and I can't see them being too bothered.

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
Doubt they'll ever get used, be a shame to waste them if they're still around.

The Spin

Panel of Selectors
My only concern would be that they were written to be spoken aloud. We'd have to go through them and throw out ones which aren't up to scratch

blake

School Cricketer
I'd be happy to write some up, do you want me to post them here or put them in a wordpad or what?

blake added 4 Minutes and 17 Seconds later...

Also, I'm a little confused about the format. I understand the first part, but:

FldAgg BowlerType Hand CommentaryLine

If it was a right hander would I say 'RH'?

So, for example, All, N, All, RH, All

What about FldAgg? Are there any parameters for that yet?.. and for CommentaryLine?

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I've updated the post so it's a lot simpler. I can do the backwork of setting aggressions and such. So now, just post the event and the commentary. Such as this classic line from EA Sports:

Sixes
It's high in the air... SIX!

You can use the aforementioned macros to be substituted in. So, for example:

One
{striker} has placed that just wide of gully for a single. {bowler} looks like he's about to tear his hair out.

Cheers!

sohum added 1 Minutes and 12 Seconds later...

I'd be happy to write some up, do you want me to post them here or put them in a wordpad or what?

What about FldAgg? Are there any parameters for that yet?.. and for CommentaryLine?
Hopefully I have simplified things a lot more here. Just enter your lines as normal and point out the event they're for. I'll read through everything and put the correct aggressions in.

saiyaman

Club Cricketer
Here are some of my suggestions:

Four
That's a wonderful cover drive by {striker} ! That ball broke through the offside like a rocket!

One
That's a good shot by {striker} but good fielding as well from {fielder}! Only one run conceded.
{Striker} gently pushes the ball away from Square Leg for one run.
{Striker} places the ball to the offside slightly away from the fielders. A quick single!

Two
{striker} plays a fantastic straight drive and good running between the wickets as well! That's two more runs.
{striker} plays it down to fine leg.....there's a misfield! Two runs taken comfortably.

Sixes
Oh what a six by {striker}! The batsman just welcomed the bowler in a grand way of his own.
That's high up in the air......and my goodness it's gone all the way! It's landed on the roof!

Imager36

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Wickets-LBW

Fantastic in-swinging yorker by {bowler} hits {striker} on the boot. Not only is he plumb LBW, his toe's going to ache in the morning.

That strikes {striker} on the pad, and {bowlingTeam:WicketKeeper} appeals to try and stop the leg bye. Oh my! The umpire's given it out! Sailing down leg side and over the stumps anyway, as Hawkeye confirms. {nonstriker} shakes his head in bemusement.

Dots

Some would say that forward defensives are boring, but in my opinion they are an integral part of the game. That was perfect from {striker}.

Wow, a forward defensive from {striker}! You don't see those very often. {fielder} shouts the necessary abuse.

That was so close to clipping the off stump from {bowler}. {nonstriker} gives {striker} advice on trying to hit those.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Wicket LBW

(Bowler) wraps (Striker) on the pads and they all go up. The umpire has no option but to give him out there. The ball was missing leg, missing off and hitting middle about halfway up.

Users who are viewing this thread