Pitch types and how they affect bowling

Ken Tremendous

County Cricketer
Ive really noticed that pitches DO seem to have a real affect on things.

Bowling on green decks (like the one in Antigua currently where England have been crushed) it really does move off the seam a lot, and creates great bowling conditions.

Play the same two teams on a hard deck and it doesnt move at all, realistically (unless it swings through the air), off the deck.

As for spin - not much on offer on the green but the same spinner on dusty/crumbly and you really can see the difference in the amount of turn.

Are others seeing this or is it just my placebo?

Also - quick pitch wear, i dont use it for test matches for obvious reasons, but what is it? Just cosmetic or does it affect gameplay and why would you/wouldnt you use it?

Interested in all thoughts on pitches basically...

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I've noticed a big difference in seam movement when using green pitches in contrast with others.

I would be interested to see how pitches deteriorate depending on the starting condition. Will a crumbly pitch break up quicker for example? Or a worn pitch will become more testing for batting faster than a pristine one?

A big thing I've noticed is how effective it can be bowling into footmarks.

Never used quick pitch wear.

Pitches in general is one area where greater description of the in game effects would be helpful.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
One thing I’ve noticed at Old Trafford, the pitch has a slope.

Bowling from one end always makes the ball seam in to the right handers, and bowling from the other end makes it consistently seam away.

I’ve not looked, but is there a setting in the stadium creator to slant the strip, like at Lords?

Not tried this at other stadiums, only “Lancashire Stadium” for the time being.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
One thing I’ve noticed at Old Trafford, the pitch has a slope.

Bowling from one end always makes the ball seam in to the right handers, and bowling from the other end makes it consistently seam away.

I’ve not looked, but is there a setting in the stadium creator to slant the strip, like at Lords?

Not tried this at other stadiums, only “Lancashire Stadium” for the time being.

Happens at every ground, seam going one way at one end then the other way. If you move seam position (on classic) to 6pm it'll go the other way.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
How do you adjust the seam position before bowling?
Using classic controls, if you hold when you select the delivery (so for Straight Seam you push up) it allows you to change the seam position.

Whether it's intentionally set up like this I don't know. I find it alters the trajectory of the ball more than anything. Moving it to different positions will give you a floaty shorter delivery or a sharper direct one. I just play around with it but a straight seam delivery adjusted to a 6pm felivery does go the other way.

D

Deleted member 185125

Has anyone been able to figure out which pitch type + physics modifiers gives the realistic/closest pitch behaviour?

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Has anyone been able to figure out which pitch type + physics modifiers gives the realistic/closest pitch behaviour?

I have a set that I’ve put together for each country, but they’re far from gospel and most are completely untested. I’ll put them on here in a new thread later when I get a chance to sit at a computer.

Probably way better for multiple people to work with them and see how they get on, I really don’t get on my PS4 more than a few times a week.

I’ve had a test in England and one in Sri Lanka, but that’s it. Both played well and pretty differently though. Not played and limited overs stuff though.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
@Mohammed Sherry @wasteyouryouth @Dutch

In the interim (as I’ll not be on til tonight at the earliest) here’s the settings I had for my recent test in Sri Lanka.

Pitch:
Crumbly, Soft, Pristine, No cracks, fast wear on.

Speed Min - 55
Speed Max - 56
Spin Bounce - 40
Spin Flight - 50
Pace Swing - 50
Pace Revs - 10
Spin Drift - 32
Spin Revs - 35/35/40/40/45
Pitch Friction - 60/45/35/25/19
Pitch Bounce - 45
Ball Friction - 65/50/40/30/22
Ball Bounce - 45
Force - 35

The sliders with multiple numbers are ones I change before the first ball of each day’s play.

These sliders gave me much more of a slower, low bounce, turning pitch compared to the game I had in England. Some of the numbers are vastly different to those on other pitches. Hopefully you all score more runs than I did :-D

D

Dutch

In the interim (as I’ll not be on til tonight at the earliest) here’s the settings I had for my recent test in Sri Lanka.

Pitch:

Speed Min - 55
Speed Max - 56
Spin Bounce - 40
Spin Flight - 50
Pace Swing - 50
Pace Revs - 10
Spin Drift - 32
Pitch Bounce - 45
Ball Bounce - 45
Force - 35

The sliders with multiple numbers are ones I change before the first ball of each day’s play.

These sliders gave me much more of a slower, low bounce, turning pitch compared to the game I had in England. Some of the numbers are vastly different to those on other pitches. Hopefully you all score more runs than I did :-D
Very helpful!! Thanks

rasdan

Club Captain

Pitch:

Speed Min - 55
Speed Max - 56
Spin Bounce - 40
Spin Flight - 50
Pace Swing - 50
Pace Revs - 10
Spin Drift - 32
Pitch Bounce - 45
Ball Bounce - 45
Force - 35

ive always wondered how much of a difference having fast wear enabled makes.Does it have that much of an impact?

Users who are viewing this thread