Politics Discussion (India)

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Khali isn't that huge a draw for the BJP. They would be better off trying to poach an Amar Singh in Punjab or someone from the opposition.
they should be able to retain majority (in UP that is)

I think it will be very close. BJP isnt guaranteed to take UP. Remember, BSP and SP did more good for the people there. The BJP has thrived on its Hindutva agenda, however there has been no real development in the state.

Add to that, the cold war between Yogi, Keshav Maurya and the BJP top brass, it would be interesting to see which way UP swings this time.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Election is almost over, get ready to see a hike in petrol & diesel prices in the name of Ukraine-Russia conflicts.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Anyone following the UP elections, what's the mood like? Status quo to be maintained or are we in for a shock?

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Anyone following the UP elections, what's the mood like? Status quo to be maintained or are we in for a shock?
Its an interesting one, UP. Got a few friends there, some connected with the parties who say that BJP might just hold on to its power. If that happens, the Yogi will most certainly be booted out.

There are many though, claiming a hung house, which actually tilts the scales in favour of SP, BSP. Coalition looms, I reckon.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Exit Polls do say that the BJP would sweep all states, except Punjab. Dunno why, but, I am a bit skeptical of these polls at the moment.

For BJP to single-handedly take Uttar Pradesh, would be quite monumental. I dont think anyone has ever taken Uttar Pradesh in 2 consecutive terms since 1996. Expect a few last minute twists and turns like they did in Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra last time. (in case they dont get the absolute majority)

For Goa, it will be another round of horse trading. The number of seats in Goa is way too less and this does create an atmosphere of uncertainty during the polls. A better scenario would be to convert Goa into a Union Territory.

Punjab- well, this is the result, I'm looking forth to, the most. BJP, on its own has never been strong there. the combine with SAD was always tumultous and them getting a whiff at controlling Punjab is close to zero. The real fight though is between AAP and Congress. But with Capt. Amarinder Singh breaking ranks, this will surely go down to the wire.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
People rode on the Modi Wave in 2014 and it seems that the same has had an effect until now. States like UP are caste-heavy. BJP has wisely played the caste card in these places. Even the ministerial appointments have been made with this in mind.

Now, when you come to the South - the unfortunate truth is that the Centre doesn't really care about the 4 Southern States. Its more like a "live and let live policy" where they wouldn't impede the daily workings. That's why, the old horses like the Congress and BJP haven't really strategized in these places.

Mind you though, the 2024 General Elections would be fun. The states, well people have a different agenda, but at the national levels, it changes completely.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Punjab is my home state even though I have been in Maharashtra for like 20 odd years now. Punjab under AAP will slide down even further. I have lots of relatives there who said they would do with Akalis than Congress or AAP. Urban sides. It is the rural areas which seem to go for AAP given all the freebies offered. Remember, freebies means more burden on us taxpayers. The netas don't pay a single penny from their pocket.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Interesting day today. Vote counting has officially begun a minute ago...30 minutes in and we shall start seeing the early trend.

BJP already feeling the heat in Goa, it seems...

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
No surprises. Heading for a massing win in UP.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Heading for a massive win in most states! Congress has been decimated all across!
Congress deserves it tbh. Tell me what measures they have taken after 2014 to come out of the slump. None! And say whatever, this Ukraine-Russia war has made it clear about how India's stature has grown in the world stage post Modi's election as PM and all his foreign trips. The world looks upon us nowadays while earlier it wasn't the case. I am not a supporter of anyone party but the change can be seen.

AAP has taken Punjab in an overwhelming manner but the candidates they have chosen there, I am sure Punjab people are in for a nightmare of 5 years.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
Does this resounding win mean Yogi will be the next heir to Modi? Only time will tell.

But this does paint a picture of what 2024 will be like.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Modi at the helm +foreign trips meant people took India seriously /in a different light.

I cannot say the same for the Yogi though. He does seem heir apparent at the moment. Goven that the BJP doesn't really have any big names coming through, mentally prepare yourself for this.

Modi, Shah, Nadda, Gadkari and Yogi. The BJP does have a trump card in Scindia who could be potentially looked at, as a PM candidate (I'd prefer him anyday). Outliers in 10 years time could be the likes of Gambhir and Tejasvi Surya.

Users who are viewing this thread