Pro Cycling thread

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Thought I'd see if there were any other cycling fans around?

Anyone got thoughts on the TDF? Froome and Contador favourites but I reckon Rodriguez and Valverde will be in with a shot as it's more like a Vuelta than a Tour with all the ascents. No-one really knows what the effect of a double ascent of Alp D'Huez will be.
Froome's time-trialling will help him get yellow provided he doesn't get dropped too badly on the top category climbs. Sorry Aussies but Cadel Evans has no chance. :p

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I wouldn't really call myself a fan, but during the TdF I'll have a look most mornings at what happened overnight and see how the New Zealanders went. I think we've got two in there this year.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
You guys have the rider with the coolest name; Jack Bauer.
Amazing two days for Orica Green Edge. First stage win yesterday and second today. Yellow for Gerrans. Let's hope that's the extent of their sporting success this summer with the final Lions test on Saturday and the Ashes after.

D

Dutch

I love the Tour and have watched it for years even before Wiggins and Froome. I love the mountain stages and even though I knew in my heart of hearts many of the great champs were doped I still loved the battles up the hills.......those descents those guys make are unbelievable.

There is nothing in the world like the Tour.

D

Dutch

Did you see the Giro this year? It was totally brutal on the descents with all the rain.

Yeah, the snow and rain made it so dangerous but then you see guys like Nibali still going full pelt, 80 or 90! Mad they are.

What are your favourite tour moments Colin? Anything stand out?

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Cav on the Champs Elysees in the green jersey with his HTC lead-out train (2011?) was pretty special. They just made sprint trains look really easy.

Other than that probably Millar in the breakaway in 2002 (plus EPO) and any number of attacks on category 1 climbs!

D

Dutch

I loved the battles Armstrong had with the likes of Ulrich and the like. The cycling has become too controllled in my opinion but you still get some terrific battles when a team cant go with the team leader and they are left to battle it out alone.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I think this year will be less controlled than last year for Sky. Firstly they have a weaker team (why no Bernie Eisel?) and secondly Froome is a more aggressive rider than Wiggins.

D

Dutch

Yeah seeing if Froome can really attack on the mountains is going to be great. I only watch those stages to be honest.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
And eventful start to the tour by the Aussies to say the least.

D

Dutch

brilliant stage today. Love it! Froome utterly decimated the competition. Tout won on the first day of the mountains. Mark my words: Froome could win by the biggest winning margin ever!

These mountain stages are such a spectacle to watch.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Clearly I have no faith; I thought Quintana had that. He was climbing like a machine.
Could be a boring tour if we're not careful!

D

Dutch

Clearly I have no faith; I thought Quintana had that. He was climbing like a machine.
Could be a boring tour if we're not careful!

Cant see who is capable of having a go Colin to be truthful after today's performance. I was really impressed with Froomes descent more than anything as that has sometimes been a bit iffy but man he was up for it. Evans looks done and Contador is clearly some kind of other rider without drugs in his body. Schleck is done........who left? No one. Nibaldi could have challenged but he isn't there so possibly a Sky one two at least....it is Froomes to lose......but one bad day and you never know. Tomorrow will be interesting as well. I think he will really want to stick the boot in.

Users who are viewing this thread