Purposely playing negative cricket to knock another team out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Online Cricket Games Owned
Imagine the scenario - Pakistan bowl out Australia for say 210 runs - not a very competitive total, but a total that will test a prone Pakistan batting line-up.

Pakistan bat well however, and are sitting pretty at 180/3 in 32-34 overs.

Is it unsporting to bat negatively however, to score the remaining 30 runs in the slowest amount of time possible. in order to send India packing.

Some feel that Pakistan will play to lose in order to send India home, but I do not believe Younus Khan will do that (In fact I believe that this "theory" is one of the stupidest things I've read on PC).

However, I believe a similiar incident happened in the 1999 WC (I forget what the scenario was if someone could enlighten me) where a team batted very slowly and negatively in order to kick a team out of the Super 6's.

So again, is it unsporting to bat extremely slow in order to send India home, because we can / want to? Of course, this scenario assumes Pakistan will be victorious whatever the case, with 7 wickets in hand and only 30-odd runs to win.

(Of course this doesn't completely send India home, India can still qualify by beating the West Indies by 104 runs if Pakistan was to win in the last over).

Highlander999

ICC President
Depends if Pakistan feel that they would stand a better chance of beating Australia then India if they were to meet later on. If they felt Australia were the weaker side and they stood a better chance of beating them, then I wouldn't say it was unsporting behaviour just more tactical.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Just to say, this is all hypothetical as far as I'm concerned - it's not going to happen because Younus Khan said he wants to play India again in the final, so I believe he will try to help India progress if he can.

Of course unless Australia completely capitulate against the spinners and Younus thinks Australia will be easier to beat in the final than India.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
My view is that they can do what ever is in their power to make it easier form them to win to tournament.
They are good enough that they have got to the stage where they do not win so they can do what they think will make it easier from them.
If they think that is keeping Aussie in the tournament instead of India that is up to them.

Params7

International Cricketer
Its the mentality that Pakistan would rather beat India than win the Champions Trophy. For a while before the CT began...that seemed like it was true, because every interview that came out of PCB/Cricinfo from Pakistan talked mainly about India only. I really do try hard to not think that way though because Younis Khan just seems like a down to earth, honest guy, no wonder the team is doing great under him. Even if orders came from PCB to throw the match he wouldn't do it.

Though please win vs Australia :P I bet even ICC is wishing for the same, with all this doom of ODI scene everywhere, they would love to see a sold out stadium and off the chart TV ratings for the final..only way to do that is with another Ind-Pak clash :D

Params7

International Cricketer
@zMario : I missed that post, I'll address it here..

Yeah there's an attitude change, because I was responding to a Paki troll there who was hating blindly. After the win its like half of Pakpassion just registered up on ICF to only boast. Though I may have over exaggerated on the hate a little bit, that post wasn't supposed to be taken that seriously, if it did hurt you I apologize. Lots of long time Paki posters on ICF who actually discuss stuff than hate blindly so they've always been free from mods.
Also, I can accept the fact that Indian team has been **** lately when it comes to tournaments, and its mainly due to bowling.

Thirdly, India can't beat Australia without a quality fast bowler which they haven't been able to produce.

You really can't say that for sure. Hadn't been for the run outs in the game before vs Pak I'm confident we would have chased down 303. Don't tell me Raina, Gambhir didn't scare you for a moment there. As for producing no quality fast bowlers...Javagal Srinath. And even though today we mainly just have medium pacers, they've been just as good to win us plenty of matches/tours in the last 2 years, all over the world. Pace isn't everything, or else a combo of Waqar/Wasim/Shoaib wouldn't have lost to India in 2003 WC.

Last edited:

Insomniac

Title Recipient
@zMario : I missed that post, I'll address it here..

Yeah there's an attitude change, because I was responding to a Paki troll there who was hating blindly. After the win its like half of Pakpassion just registered up on ICF to only boast. Though I may have over exaggerated on the hate a little bit, that post wasn't supposed to be taken that seriously, if it did hurt you I apologize. Lots of long time Paki posters on ICF who actually discuss stuff than hate blindly so they've always been free from mods.
Also, I can accept the fact that Indian team has been **** lately when it comes to tournaments, and its mainly due to bowling.

You really can't say that for sure. Hadn't been for the run outs in the game before vs Pak I'm confident we would have chased down 303. Don't tell me Raina, Gambhir didn't scare you for a moment there. As for producing no quality fast bowlers...Javagal Srinath. And even though today we mainly just have medium pacers, they've been just as good to win us plenty of matches/tours in the last 2 years, all over the world. Pace isn't everything, or else a combo of Waqar/Wasim/Shoaib wouldn't have lost to India in 2003 WC.

You were responding to a "Paki troll who was hating blindly", yet you do not consider this hating blindly (read below)? You say they are free from the mods, so I wouldn't expect any posts to be deleted. So far, these are the posts in that thread by who I can tell are Pakistanis.

inzibhai said:
badalta hai ran aasamn kaisay kaisay...

good luck to pakistan against aus...i really hope india some how make it to the next round...

this is also great news for Mohammad Asif...he will make his come back for sure..

gambit and patriot i can feel your pain...

i wont argue..i'm really sorry about the events taking place in SA....

Don't see too much wrong in that to respond in such a manner.

And then I see this post, just 2 posts above yours:

Dooks said:
Go out gracefully. No need for begging bowl to terroristan.

That isn't hating blindly now is it?

I'm just pointing out how it's interesting when you have Indian trolls to back you up you post in one manner, and when you have a strong administration, you will post in an entirely different manner.

It doesn't hurt me, because I neither know you, nor wish to know you. However, when I see your posts, I know which mentality you are posting from, and how to address those.

By the way, I don't normally go rummaging through such forums as ICF and PP, but I had a feeling there were 2 sides to you from reading your posts, and google answered my question.

Now, finally addressing the cricket. I already said earlier that I felt we were going to lose at the rate we were going, especially with Raina out there. Gambhir I still felt if he made a 100 we would be ok because we had runs to play with.

Pace isn't everything, but the lack of a pace bowler is hurting India badly in thier team.

Params7

International Cricketer
Don't see too much wrong in that to respond in such a manner.

There's a lot of of things wrong in that post.

gambit and patriot i can feel your pain...

i wont argue..i'm really sorry about the events taking place in SA....

That's sarcasm. That's making fun of people when their home team just lost a match. Mods really are laidback there but that's the way those forums are run, each one is different. That terroristsan comment was also a reply to Paki trolling but the mods are laidback there, so take it up with them or the person that made that comment, not me.

I'm just pointing out how it's interesting when you have Indian trolls to back you up you post in one manner, and when you have a strong administration, you will post in an entirely different manner.

Look dude, its a simple concept. You talk useless ****, I'll talk back **** to you. If you don't, I'll keep it civil and respectful as well. Besides, my comment you quoted anyways, I don't see much wrong with it, except yes it wasn't a whooping and maybe not all paki's are butthurt from that final, though the trolls obviously are.

but I had a feeling there were 2 sides to you from reading your posts, and google answered my question.

You really had a feeling or do you post on ICF under an alt? Nice sixth sense there if its the former.

Pace isn't everything, but the lack of a pace bowler is hurting India badly in thier team.

Agreed. Nehra has been good, Ishant needs to be dropped. There's Zaheer, Irfan and Sreesanth ready to replace him.

Last edited:

irottev

School Cricketer
I don't think it's right really. It often comes back to bite you. You go too defensively and then all of a sudden there's a collapse and you're out of the tournament. You have to pkay with intent.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
I say you always go into a match looking to win. Who cares how it affects the other teams? You play for yourself.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
If a team gets into a good position and then bats slowly to try and pack the other team out, then definitely its not sportsmanship. I dont know who did what in the 1999 WC (I forgot it the moment India left) but for me if I get into a good position, I will try to retain it and keep the momentum going for myself and my team and not think about cheap things like trying to throw a team out or make things very tough for them. Thats a nasty thing to think and I wont be doing it if I were in that place.

@ zMario: I was the guy who predicted that Pakistan might want to send India packing out of the tournament. I still feel the same way and nothing has changed my opinion (although I am praying for Pakistan to win so that India can sneak in).

Bluebagger

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The 1999 world cup incident was Australia v West Indies and Australia took about 40 overs to chase 111, but, to be fair, the pitch was seaming and McGrath was devastating and his wicket of Lara was probably the best ball I have ever seen, our net run rate dropped below that of Pakistan and we played South Africa again after easily beating them in the game before which is what upset New Zealand because I think NZ beat us in the group stage and so did Pakistan. I don't think New Zealand were eliminated but they had to play Pakistan and got absolutely smashed IIRC. New Zealand would also go on and allow South Africa to gain a bonus point in the 2002 tri series in Australia in the final game which moved South Africa ahead of Australia and eliminated Australia from the series.

Simply put, if you leave your fate in the hands of other teams then it is too bad. New Zealand have no real right to complain about 1999 nor does Australia for being knocked out of the tri series during a game not involving them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread