Quarter Finals Stage

stefan

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
It wouldn't be an even match. India is better than Pakistan. That doesn't mean Pakistan can't win (it's just a one-off), but if that match would be played in Mohali 10 times, India would win at least 6 of them.

And no, India's batting is not overrated. It's the best in the tournament by a solid margin. I don't get how anyone can make a statement like that when it was obvious that our batting was all that kept us in it against ENG and SA.

The best by some margin do not collapse the way they have done vs SA and West Indies.

Back on the topic at hand. We should beat nz. Better side and if we play to our best and nz play to our best we go through but this is knockout cricket so we shall see. Still I am confident.

Aus vs India will be interesting. Fancy india to do it but wish aus would go through.

West indies vs Pakistan will be interesting both sides capable of being superb and dire depending on their moods. Pakistan better so should go through.

Sri lanka should beat england.

BKB1991

Panel of Selectors
Battle of the misfits imo, between India and Australia. Neither team has really hit their peak imo. India seem as a better team, but if the Aussies can somehow restrict the Indians to a modest total they should be able to match it up.

Awh, the Windies. Feeling confident, but the last time Pakistan were considered favorites (and also may I add the only time) in this world cup they were disappointing. Feel that we need to take some early wickets, and the rest of the Windies batsman dont really put in a fight keeping in mind their last two games. Although Roach will give our batsman a test, I think we should be able to handle them.

Sri Lanka and England should be a good game. It depends on which England team turns up, but I think Sri Lanka overall is a better equipped side. Think Strauss has to play a big game for England to succeed.

South Africa should surely role over New Zealand. Expect the Kiwis to put up a fight, but SA looks way superior in both departments, for them to be unexpectedly knocked out.

Kabooka

International Cricketer
Having said that, Pakistan does have a batting lineup to chase even more than 300. You never know what they can do on the day.

On the contrary, I feel that Pakistan's Achilles heel is their batting. Chasing a sizable target may not be an easy job for them . But rather trying to contain an opposition with their bowling is the thing which is right up their alley.

Overall I feel that nobody deserves this WC more than SA, followed all the India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka & Australia in equal measure. The reason for this being that none of these teams has looked convincing in the group stages.

Last edited:

mohit_dude10

Club Captain
Overall I feel that nobody deserves this WC more than SA, followed all the India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka & Australia in equal measure. The reason for this being that none of these teams has looked convincing in the group stages.

The team which wins the 3 important games on trot deserves to win, South Africa have looked convincing but it will be interesting to see if they can hold their nerves when it matters the most. So yeah it doesn't matter who has done what in the group stages but what they do now.

I think Eng vs SL and NZ vs SA can be close and not one sided, but I don't see Pakistan getting beaten up by WI, India vs Australia could be one hell of a match, But i think after getting beaten by Pakistan and it being a do or die match Australia will come hard on us.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
The team who wins the final deserves to win. Nobody deserves anything right now. That's just stupid. All we have now are intuitions about who (in theory) has the best chance.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I am happy that we are pegged against Australia. On one hand it is good- even if we crash out, we crash out v Australia. On the other, we will have a really good game of cricket as the Aussies are least likely to bow out without a fight.

But, for the first time ever I am confident of an Indian win, nervous,but confident. Harbhajan has started firing at the right time, so has Yuvraj. And given that we are playing Australia, we are bound to bring up our 'A' Game.

The onus is now really on India to stop Australia from winning their 4th consecutive title. But it will be tough. World Cup history says that the last time we beat them was in 1983.

Lassana Dias

Club Cricketer
looks like Sri lanka is getting the best deal out of all teams. i really feel for both AUS and IND only one will move on and AUS being 3 time unbeaten Worldchamps and with IND expactations... some body gona get hurt real bad :D

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
India v Australia: It's too close to call for me. I'd say India 60-40 but that's probably because I'm biased. Australia's pace trio can cause us real problems and our middle order can be shaky against pace and bounce. On the other hand, we seem to have our bowling combination sorted out and our slow bowlers could strangle Australia the way Pakistan and Zimbabwe did. Their middle order hasn't been lighting it up either. Watson's gonna be key.

Pakistan v WI: Two mercurial teams, but I think Pakistan are better and should win out. Roach will test the batters but unless Pakistan beat themselves, I don't see WI being able to go over them. Plus Umar Gul's been near unstoppable and WI's mid-lower order batting is shaky at best.

Sri Lanka v England: It's at the Premadasa and that should make Sri Lanka favorites. England actually has what it takes to win, but it depends if they show up on the day.

New Zealand v South Africa: This is a classic scenario for SA to choke in. You've got an underachieving team which always punches above its weight in tournaments against a SA team that looks a complete package. South Africa are capable of finding creative ways to lose, but I think they will triumph in Mirpur because NZ don't have the slow bowlers to really take advantage of the conditions.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
You know the QF line-ups are the best we can get. All teams match up evenly against each other. No clear favorites in either match.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
You can't take anything away from England. On their day, they can pull a few surprises here and there. The teams being evenly matches up - Since the match is in SRL, the wickets may aid the spinners- and Englnad do have Swann and Yardy.

Paki007

Panel of Selectors
Aussies can somehow restrict the Indians to a modest total they should be able to match it up

That's real worry for India they haven't bat second till now against a Quality side so if aussies be able to post 270+ then it'll be a tough task for a team like india who's batting is not at peak and Aussies have some good fast bowlers to spoil India's night.We have already seen team struggling chasing under the lights and dew factor is not affecting the play as much as well

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
I think Sri Lanka and South Africa's games are pretty straightforward.

I'm expecting WI to shock most people here and roll Pakistan. I have a feeling there's some kind of method to their madness of resting players and at full strength they're going to bat strong.

Flip a coin for Aus vs. India. Didn't think we'd meet until the final, but I'm confident the winner of this one will be in the final.

simsanta123

Club Cricketer
I think Pakistan and South Africa seem very good to reach the semis. The WI middle order lacks experience, (they should play Chanderpaul IMO) and NZ lack the batting firepower (unless Taylor and McCullum both have a great day--unlikely). Ind vs Aus is nearly impossible to call.{Heck, everything is impossible, we aren't the ones playing} Sri Lanka and England is going to be interesting but as it is in Sri Lanka, they will start as favourites.

bluequin

School Cricketer
come on buddy, Sri lanka vs England in clombo :facepalm

This definitely isn't a foregone conclusion - Sri Lanka are favourites for sure, but depending on which England turns up it could be pretty tight.
Don't count your chickens just yet Lassana :)

As for the others it'll be Pakistan, SA and India imho.

Users who are viewing this thread