Tech Support

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
This was a question that occured to me, is it possible to use a memory stick as extra ram? At the moment it runs really slowly and only has half a star performance. I am on a laptop with 3GB of Ram I believe.

Would adding more ram add to the performance or is it down to some other part of the laptop?

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
There is a way that uses it as RAM but because it is over USB it isn't as fast. It's called turboboost iirc. I'm not sure how effective it is though.

What do you mean half a star performance? What OS are you on? And what are your other specs? Normally 3GB should be plenty for a laptop.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
attachment.php

This is what I mean. I want to make it so that it runs faster. Oh, apparently I have 4GB of ram according to system properties. Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 32bit. AMD Turion (tm) X2 Dual-Core 2.20 Ghz Processor.

Attachments

• fmfmfmf.jpg
    fmfmfmf.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 96

Chewie

BCCI President
Yea your ram should be fine. What's the screenshot from? I've never seen anything like that before.

And what graphics card do you have?

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
It's from Football Manager 2011, a game, I want it to run faster :p. Graphics card is ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530 Series, I think.

Chewie

BCCI President
huh. Weird. I wouldn't think that Football Manager would require too much grunt. And though your graphics card is one of the lower ones it should run it fine. (I couldn't find it in the graphics card hierarchy at Tom's Hardware but from notebook check it's one of the lower end ones)

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
PC System Requirements
Processor: XP : 1.4GHz or Faster, Vista/W7 : 2.0GHz or Faster
Memory: XP : 512MB RAM, Vista/W7 : 1.0GB RAM
Graphics: 128MB Supported Chipsets - Nvidia FX 5900 Ultra or greater; ATI Radeon 9800 or greater; Intel 82915G/82910GL or greater. Earlier cards may only display 2D Match Viewer Mode and are not supported
DirectX?: Version 9.0c (included)
Hard Drive: 2GB
Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible​

My Specs
Processor: XP : AMD Turion(tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-75 (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 3068MB RAM
Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530 Series
DirectX?: DirectX 10
Hard Drive: 287 GB​

Where am I going wrong?

Chewie

BCCI President
I have no idea. What ratings does the Windows Experience Index give you?

Located at:
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Performance Information and Tools

You'll probably want one of the real experts to come along and help :p

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Processor: 4.9
Memory (RAM): 5.9
Graphics: 4.6
Gaming Graphics: 5.1
Primary HD: 5.3

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Another question, if I wanted to go about adding some ram, I did scan on my laptop and it came up with these;

Maximum Memory Capacity: 4194304 MB
Currently Installed Memory: 4096 MB

Is the Maximum Memory Capacity the amount of RAM I can get? Or does that include something else?

Chewie

BCCI President
I'm pretty sure you can't install 4000GB of ram ;)

I'm not sure what that is. Most laptops have a limit on how much ram they can handle because of the motherboard. And at any rate you have a 32bit OS so it can't use more than 3.5-4GB of ram anyway.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
This was a question that occured to me, is it possible to use a memory stick as extra ram? At the moment Football Manager runs really slowly and only has half a star performance. I am on a laptop with 3GB of Ram I believe.

Would adding more ram add to the performance or is it down to some other part of the laptop?

This is the problem Abhas.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
RAM Is definitely not a problem unless you've got a faulty stick, which would have given you numerous Blue-screen errors.

Is Football Manager even graphics intensive? Is it a problem with only FM or other things are slow as well?

Users who are viewing this thread