Review : DBC 14 - PC version, Patch 2

Aditya

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Sir Donald Bradman, one of cricketing gem's. A man who saw and conquered, with a near perfect average that touches the landmark of 100, Bradman is and will always be considered the iconic face of cricket - someone who has given this game a base on which it has developed over all these years.
1.png

We have Brian Lara cricket, Shane Warne Cricket but there was the name of one legend missing from cricket game titles and that is - Sir Donald Bradman. BigAntStudios have given a fitting tribute to the maestro from down under, by titling their cricket game after this very genius of the game - Don Bradman Cricket 14.

The cricket gaming experience on consoles and PC has been somewhat incomplete and each title that has come along has left the cricket fans wanting more. Post 2007 and the release of EA's last cricket game, the speculations constantly rose around the next 'BIG' brand to set it's foot into developing a cricket game, companies like 2K sports and SEGA didn't see this genre of gaming as a profit source, Codemasters did - but we all discern how that went but there was one company that saw this genre of gaming as "passionate" and the way to go forward i.e. the BigAntStudios.

I'll be very frank, the first time I played cricket07 - I didn't like it. The game made me feel like I was trapped into a few shots which could hardly be called "cricket" - the freedom to express yourself as a batsmen and bowler was never there and yet after 6 years it was still the most played cricket game (till 2013). In the mid of 2013, BigAntStudios started getting more public with the developments of the DBC title and a great hype surrounded this game, more so for it's title.

2.png
Next followed the ultimate test for the BigAntStudios with the release of Nets beta, what they had lying ahead of them were cricket freaks who were desperate for a good game to come forward and with positive responses in their favor, the nets beta impressed every one - why you ask! For the wide array of shots, that's all that a cricket fan wants. Dil-scoop, reverse sweep, crispy straight drive, cut, pull, duck, defend - these array of shots made the nets beta the "ideal" platform for the full version to build on.

As I lay my hands on my controller and played the nets beta for the first time, the first few deliveries were genuinely quick - and I mean it. I couldn't understand the controls for the initial part of the beta but gradually it became easier and as I played a straight drive and my controller vibrated, I knew this was something special.

DBC 14 - PC : June 26, 2014, the big day of release. I opened PlanetCricket and there I saw Ross' post "the game is now live on Steam" ? amidst the rush to play it, several thoughts popped into my head - will the game deliver of my ridiculously high expectations? Will the career mode deliver on expectations and be interesting? Will the game be realistic or another *you know whose, cricket 13*.

I immediately lay my thoughts to a rest and played the game with modest expectations.

3.png
View of the MCG

To start off, I played a 5-5 Casual match between Australia and England at MCG.

As the camera in game rotated around the stadium, I sat on my couch speechless - wow! The model of the stadium looked perfect and then came the players for the toss - as expected, it went fine and my team (Australia) elected to bat.

At the end of the match, I knew that what I have on my laptop makes the earlier released cricket games seem like a ?piece of joke" because nothing stands even close to what the BigAntStudios have provided us with.

Next I headed over to the career mode to try my luck as opener for Somerset. First part was to create my player, make him look like me - in a game, as close as possible and the options provided by BAS (Big Ant Studios) made it easier to create a must closer version of me IN the game.

I was ready to try my hand at the Career Mode. My player entered the field to open the batting, so far so good. My opening partner took the strike and I could watch everything in progress from the non-striker end, on the very first ball he took a single and I went over to the striker's end. The choice to start my career was in my hands - will I be aggressive? Will I be Dravid? Who knew but me...

On my very first ball, I smashed the bowler for a four above the Mid-On fielder - ah, the sweet feeling of glory. ;) But as they say, the game of cricket is cruel. On the very next ball, the bowler replied back with a solid delivery, pitching in line and managing to hit my pads and they shouted "HOWZAT!" and there I was - GONE.

Those were 2 aspects of the game i.e. casual mode and career mode. I still felt something was missing so I went back to the casual mode and began another match with Australia and England. Only this time I had the opportunity to bowl.

As I tried to control the bowler with my controller, he just wouldn't stop - kind of reminded me of Ishant Sharma's first over in test cricket, the pressure was intense, he just couldn't deliver the ball. Anyways back to the game, I looked around for the right bowling controls and then WHAT - bowled a wayward wide BUT the next ball was a short delivery which the right-handed batsman from England safely pulled for a single. This is fun I said.

A few more deliveries later I had my taste of luck - the left handed batsman from England was deceived and was clearly LBW but the umpire wouldn't give that OUT - here came the MOST INTERESTING part of the game - the DRS system. The Australian team gathered around and decided to review the decision, the Australian captain signaled for the review and I sat on my couch as confident as Broad in each one of his reviews - 'yea yea, that's out'...

The game replayed the delivery and the ball was pitching IN Line and hitting the top of leg-stump, the umpire gestured the overturning of the decisions and the Australians had a wicket.

4.png
Wide array of shots and variation in deliveries - complete package

After a few overs I grasped another wicket, this time the credit was well and truly to the fielder. I delivered the ball on the good length area, the left handed batsman tried to play a straight drive over the Mid-On fielder but mistimed it and as the ball went over the head of the Mid-On fielder, he ran backward and with me almost certain that it's too difficult a catch - he CAUGHT it - the Kapil Dev of the 1983 world cup, successfully grabbing the catch of Richards, yep that's the memory I was reminded of. :)

What I'm trying to say here is, DBC14 doesn't give you a "closed-box" cricket game where your hands are tied and you've very limited to explore. It instead gives you a cricket ground, with a pitch, 22 players and 2 umpires - where you're the one controlling the game. Realism of every sport game is the most integral part of it and when big brands failed to get it right, I had my hopes down but passion sees no challenges, it sees no obstacles.

The team at BigAntStudios should be applauded for the "near-perfect" cricket game that they've produced and in the very first attempt, they're just about on the finishing line of making this title turn into "perfect".

Special mention here to the BigAntStudious for the consistent updates that they bring for the betterment of this game which makes it even so closer to "perfect". You guys have produced the best cricket game that there has ever been and every person who purchases this game has every penny of his well spent. You guys have done justice to the cricket fans and most importantly - you've done justice to the title holder of this game, Sir Donald Bradman.

I wont call this a "complete review" because there's so much of the game that I've still to explore but this sure is a start. If any one else wants to submit their detailed reviews of the game, this is the thread for you. :)

PS : Some of the images used are not mine and belong to the members who posted them on this site. Cheers!

Last edited:

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
When going to "Post your questions" thread it is being redirected to here....

*Edit: Its fine now...

Last edited:

Vans

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Well said Aditya well said! :cheers

It's a Masterpiece and only getting better!

Can you imagine this game with full licences and all the grounds and famous commentators in the world!? Wow just a perfect game!

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Aha! My SS made it to your review ;)

las_faiz

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
Canada
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Spot on review. Game is almost perfect after 2nd patch

Ricco_M

Club Captain
Nice review Aditya - it pretty much sums up my views and feelings on it too :)

dale0404

Club Captain
Loving it, simple as. Been waiting for a cricket game like this since the dawn of time. :yes

Alberts

International Coach
It's just so good after patch 2. It feels like cricket, it's just that. How have Big Ant done this? I mean, how on Earth have they done this? This is the first of the series... the first. Building on the gameplay of this game for more features in future versions, they could be onto something massive in years to come.

SilverFox

School Cricketer
I have only one problem with this game... I don't have any friends on steam to verse :facepalm

Most of my friends play on ps3.

Anyway, whoever is playing this on pc and looking for friends to play, I'm keen.

Silverfox_18... I'm from South Africa.

Big Ant are my favourite developers, and everything said about this game, especially in above review, I agree with.

Gabe

Club Cricketer
Well just to throw an opposing view in there, I certainly don't think it's perfect. It's good but yet to be great for me.

I love the career mode, DRS, the Cricket Academy and range of competitions you can set up and play and the fact that batting isn't instantly easy.

I don't love too many balls going through the bat; being given out for mysterious edges that aren't near the bat, have no sound and show no deviation on the ball; being run-out when cancelling a single because the player doesn't ground the bat and almost stops a couple of paces short of the crease; the speed with which runs are scored in simulation mode in all forms of the game (even in tests, where double and triple centuries are scored at nearly a run a ball almost all the time) and the commentary bugs.

There are other things that I think need improvement - loads more career stats, detail on the scorecards, graphics, better AI batting (I've only bowled 2 overs as a spinner, didn't know what I was doing at all and still took 2 wickets), to name a few.

I'm having fun with it, but there is a lot of room for improvement.

zaff4444

Club Captain
I have only one problem with this game... I don't have any friends on steam to verse :facepalm

Most of my friends play on ps3.

Anyway, whoever is playing this on pc and looking for friends to play, I'm keen.

Silverfox_18... I'm from South Africa.

Big Ant are my favourite developers, and everything said about this game, especially in above review, I agree with.

Added. Steam Community :: Group :: DBC 14 Fans

email2niranjan

Club Cricketer
At the end of the match, I knew that what I have on my laptop makes the earlier released cricket games seem like a ?piece of joke" because nothing stands even close to what the BigAntStudios have provided us with.

I had the same feeling. Just completed playing a T10 between CSK & KKR in Amateur (am just starting up). I have played every cricket game that was released out there ... believe me. This one is awesome.

Lionden

Club Captain
Does anyone know why the coop mode has been sacked from the final release? If I remember correctly, it was officially announced before the release.

AnkitC

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Does anyone know why the coop mode has been sacked from the final release? If I remember correctly, it was officially announced before the release.

It's going to be added in Patch 3. Ross has confirmed.

Users who are viewing this thread