shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India

Test match requirement:
Maximum players from one country: 4
Bowling all rounder: must average 25+ with the bat
Batting all rounder: must average 35 or under with the ball
Left Hander requirement: 2 players who can bowl/bat left handed (can only be the weaker one of the two if they are an all rounder). In other words, right handed #3 batsman who bowls left handed doesn't count, but an all rounder who does the same does count. You can imagine that the same would be true for bowlers (e.g. James Anderson isn't a leftie).
Wicket-Keeper Requirement: Only his stats as a wicket-keeping batsman will be taken into account. For example, whatever runs or catches Sanga has taken after he gave up the gloves will be discounted and cannot be used in your argument that you have the best team because we do not know whether he would have scored that same mammoth amount of runs if he was still WK.
Time limit: 24 hours

- Openers need to have played the majority of their innings opening the innings.
- Number 3 has to have played the majority of his innings at number 3.
- Middle order batsmen need to have played the majority of their innings from positions 4-7.

NB. "Majority of their innings" has a leeway of 10 innings. eg. Joe Batsman has played 40 innings as #3 and 31 innings at #4. He may be considered as either a #3 or #4.

Round 1 (Fast Bowlers):
user (Malcolm Marshall & Wasim Akram)
cricket icon (Waqar Younis & Courtney Walsh)
zorax (Glenn Mcgrath & Curtly Ambrose)
shravi (Dennis Lillee & Allan Donald)
sifter

Round 2 (All rounders):
sifter (Sir Garfield Sobers & Imran Khan)
shravi (Jacques Kallis & Sir Richard Hadlee)
user (Keith Miller & Sir Ian Botham)
zorax (Kapil Dev & Vinoo Mankad)
cricket icon (Shaun Pollock & Tony Greig)

Round 3 (WK + Spinner):
cricket icon (Adam Gilchrist & Muttiah Muralitharan)
zorax (Andy Flower & Shane Warne)
shravi (Alan Knott & Bill O'Reilly)
sifter
user

Round 4 (Middle Order - 2 batsmen):
zorax (Sachin Tendulkar & Steve Waugh)
user (Brian Lara & Greg Chappell)
sifter (Sir Vivian Richards & Allan Border)
cricket icon (Javed Miandad & ???)
shravi (Ken Barrington & Graeme Pollock)

Round 5 (Openers):
shravi (Sir Jack Hobbs & Sunil Gavaskar)
sifter (Sir Leonard Hutton & Herbert Sutcliffe)
cricket icon (Hanif Mohammad & Matthew Hayden)
user (Desmond Haynes & Gordon Greenidge)
zorax (Arthur Morris & Virender Sehwag)

Round 6 (Number 3):
user (Rahul Dravid)
sifter (Ricky Ponting)
shravi (George Headley)
cricket icon
zorax

Last edited:

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
I'm interested, if you wanna take me in that is. Always wanted to participate in one after the WC draft.

----------

I like either of option 2 or 3. Actually option 2 is nice, more people, systematic and should go well.

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'm sorry, but I won't be able to participate. I would love to, but I'm going away for a month next week for my summer clinical intership.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Yeah I'd be keen again. Drafts tend to hook me...:p I'm a bit of a traditionalist, so I'd probably pick option 2 or 3. Most likely option 2 because if you are picking a specific type of player each round it might lead to better discussion as it's happening. But I'm also intrigued by option 1. I guess you could have 5 players and do 2 picks in 5 rounds as well and a final one to make up your XI. Maybe even have 6 players and do 2 picks each time, your 12th man being the best fielders ever.

It probably all depends on how many people sign up and how long you want it to last for. In other words, how long is your break? :D

The other thing you could think about to make it more difficult, is to add another restriction, at least one of your bowlers must be a left armer and at least 2 of your batsmen left handers. I read the Bradman's XI book not long ago, and he made a point of selecting left handed Arthur Morris as one of his openers. I can't remember his selection criteria off the top of my head.
Edit: found it: http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/story/96131.html
According to the report, Bradman opted for the following: two recognised opening batsmen of whom one shall be a left-hander, three other batsmen of whom one should be a left-hander, one all-rounder, one wicketkeeper who is also a good bat, one fast bowler to open with the wind, one fast or medium-pace bowler to open into the wind, one right-arm off spinner or right-hand leg spinner and one left-arm orthodox first-finger spinner.

That's only if you want to make it a little trickier :)

Last edited:

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Okay, well, in the end, looking at previous drafts and numerous "he's taking so long" type posts, I think option 1 would be the best simply for time taken.

Round 1: Openers (2)
Round 2: Number 3 (1)
Round 3: Number 4 & 5 (2)
Round 4: All Rounders (2)
Round 5: WK & Spinner (2)
Round 6: Fast Bowlers (2)

Test match requirement:
Maximum players from one country: 4
Left Hander requirement: 2 players who can bowl/bat left handed (can only be the weaker one of the two if they are an all rounder). In other words, right handed #3 batsman who bowls left handed doesn't count, but an all rounder who does the same does count. You can imagine that the same would be true for bowlers (e.g. James Anderson isn't a leftie).
Wicket-Keeper Requirement: Only his stats as a wicket-keeping batsman will be taken into account. For example, whatever runs or catches Sanga has taken after he gave up the gloves will be discounted and cannot be used in your argument that you have the best team because we do not know whether he would have scored that same mammoth amount of runs if he was still WK.

So this is a 5 member draft. I guess I can leave sign ups open for a while and then choose from that.

Last edited:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
OK man, I'll have a go. Sounding good :thumbs Been thinking about this stuff lately anyway with the all-time team poll the ICC's got going, and the greatest all-rounder thread.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Forgot the rules about all rounders

How do you feel about having each team having to choose one bowling and one batting all rounder each? That is, instead of choosing 2 random all rounders. Problem is that some players are true all rounders in that they are not noticeably better at batting or bowling. If you can figure a way around that then we could find a way to put that rule in.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Well I think you should be able to mix and match depending on your balance. For example, you might have a really good batting WK and you could then choose 2 bowling ARs, or your keeper might bat at #8 and you could then choose 2 more batting oriented ARs. I think it would be hard to legislate that you must have one of each and deciding which category the more balanced guys like Keith Miller/Chris Cairns fit into.

Also, are you going to have any rules about the batting positions. Or is it up to the drafter? Ie. Can I pick David Boon to open or bat at #3? Or will he need to have scored a certain amount of runs at a spot to count? I don't really mind which way you go :)

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Well I think you should be able to mix and match depending on your balance. For example, you might have a really good batting WK and you could then choose 2 bowling ARs, or your keeper might bat at #8 and you could then choose 2 more batting oriented ARs. I think it would be hard to legislate that you must have one of each and deciding which category the more balanced guys like Keith Miller/Chris Cairns fit into.

Also, are you going to have any rules about the batting positions. Or is it up to the drafter? Ie. Can I pick David Boon to open or bat at #3? Or will he need to have scored a certain amount of runs at a spot to count? I don't really mind which way you go :)

The majority of that players innings should have been played at #3 if you are picking him for that position, since it is a specialized position. Similarly, your #4 and #5 should have played the majority of their innings at either, well, you guessed it, #4 or #5. Same for openers. I guess, you can shuffle the rest of your batting order how you want to, but until 5, it's sort of set in stone.

Last edited:

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Alright so User, myself, cricket icon, Zorax and sifter.

Bradman or no Bradman? Vote. Majority wins.

I vote no because he's the only "obvious" pick in the draft. I think you can debate (maybe not successfully) not having one or two others but Bradman is the only "must have".

----------

I have made it so that in all the rounds with 2 picks, we each have to go first, second, third, fourth and fifth once each (first 5 rounds). Check it to see if I've done it wrong. The number 3 round (Round 6) is randomly generated so you don't have to check that.

Round 1 (Fast Bowlers):
user
cricket icon
zorax
shravi
sifter

Round 2 (All rounders):
sifter
shravi
user
zorax
cricket icon

Round 3 (WK + Spinner):
cricket icon
zorax
shravi
sifter
user

Round 4 (#4 and #5):
zorax
user
sifter
cricket icon
shravi

Round 5 (Openers):
shravi
sifter
cricket icon
user
zorax

Round 6 (Number 3):
user
sifter
shravi
cricket icon
zorax

Last edited:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Sounds good mate :thumbs

I vote no for Bradman, he just unbalances it too much for my liking. But we certainly need to give him props, he was that good that he owns everyone else in history.

The other thing I was thinking of: shall we limit people to certain categories? I'm thinking of all-rounders in particular who might be picked as batsmen before the all-rounder section is even started. Might work for wicketkeepers too. I guess you could make round 2 the all-rounders one, and perhaps round 3 the keeper/spinner one - that might help solve that issue. Not too sure there were many great openers who kept wicket or were all-rounders so keeping them first should be fine. Or if you don't think it's an issue, just leave it as is - you're the boss :D It also has nothing to do with the fact I have the first pick in the all-rounders round :D - you can even mix them up again if you feel like I'm trying to influence it.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Sounds good mate :thumbs

I vote no for Bradman, he just unbalances it too much for my liking. But we certainly need to give him props, he was that good that he owns everyone else in history.

The other thing I was thinking of: shall we limit people to certain categories? I'm thinking of all-rounders in particular who might be picked as batsmen before the all-rounder section is even started. Might work for wicketkeepers too. I guess you could make round 2 the all-rounders one, and perhaps round 3 the keeper/spinner one - that might help solve that issue. Not too sure there were many great openers who kept wicket or were all-rounders so keeping them first should be fine. Or if you don't think it's an issue, just leave it as is - you're the boss :D It also has nothing to do with the fact I have the first pick in the all-rounders round :D - you can even mix them up again if you feel like I'm trying to influence it.

Ok, will do. Remember guys, it doesn't matter how many runs Sanga (or someone like him) hit as a non-wicketkeeping batsman. It won't count for anything if you choose him as keeper. So don't bother putting it in your argument for why you chose him.

I swear I thought num posted in this thread. Anyways, cricket icon takes his place.

First post updated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread