Ricky Ponting and Umpires

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Online Cricket Games Owned
I quote Ricky Ponting on the stump mic: "Piss Poor Umpiring"

Regarding the catch of Alistair Cook on 458/1 which could not be proven out, so the decision is not out.

I fully expect a big fine, as other players have done worse, and have gotten away with it.

But Ponting is a repeat offender. Possibly a ban should be in order.

Insomniac added 7 Minutes and 25 Seconds later...

What a call by Aleem Dar - could've easily given that out after Ponting's whine fest.

But impact was given as umpire's call - never seen that.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Saw this thread coming from you Insomniac from a mile away. Wouldn't be an Ashes series, or a big series involving Australia, without you making a thread against Ponting - got in early though. I suppose we'll see a few more as the series goes on.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Saw this thread coming from you Insomniac from a mile away. Wouldn't be an Ashes series, or a big series involving Australia, without you making a thread against Ponting - got in early though. I suppose we'll see a few more as the series goes on.
You can't possibly tell me that what Ponting said (for everyone to hear mind you) was right, considering A) It wasn't the umpire's fault, it's technology and B) He's already been warned and criticzed for his behavior many times before.

Manly

Thor
Even as a Pom I can appreciate Ponting as a great Batsman/captain. To be fair to him, he's been trying for YEARS to get a captain's agreement with every other nation that you take the fielder's word for a decision. And I don't blame him. OK the decision wasn't game-changing, but in principle, it's these situations that would build the respect for the entire situation, something low-key, slowly building up to the big ones.

But, I guess with so much at stake these days, it won't happen.

Ponting would be justified with what he said, who hasn't had a (moderate) outburst at officials, even if they are team-mates, or whatever?

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
I think the problem with Ponting and his captain's agreement is that the team he plays for hasn't had the greatest of reputations as a honest, sportsmanlike team. Certainly the Sydney fiasco has caused several people to call Ponting's honesty and integrity into question.

P

pcfan123

The reaction was natural, I don't think Ponting is anything special to be singled out when it comes to dissent or dealing with umpires. There are way worse players, I've never seen Ponting stay at the crease and straight up dissent like I have seen others

Sureshot

Executive member
Didn't he hang around when Gary Pratt ran him out? :lol

A cricketer who hasn't played first class cricket in over 4 years might I add.

-----

I think Ponting's reaction to Cook's non-dismissal was understandable. It's also important to note where/how he said "piss poor umpiring", if it was said at an umpire, or in a press conference, it's a different matter. Given the situation of the game, 458-1 in the third innings, can you blame him?

Forget it and move on.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Didn't he hang around when Gary Pratt ran him out? :lol

A cricketer who hasn't played first class cricket in over 4 years might I add.

-----

I think Ponting's reaction to Cook's non-dismissal was understandable. It's also important to note where/how he said "piss poor umpiring", if it was said at an umpire, or in a press conference, it's a different matter. Given the situation of the game, 458-1 in the third innings, can you blame him?

Forget it and move on.
It was said within the umpire's range of hearing, so yes, indirectly it would have been to the umpires.

I just think he tries to impose himself on the umpires too much in order to get decisions in his favor

Sureshot

Executive member
It was said within the umpire's range of hearing, so yes, indirectly it would have been to the umpires.

"Within range of umpires" and "said to the umpires" are two very different things. If I muttered an expletive about a boss when they are in the same room as me, that is very different to saying it to him.

Context is a hooooge factor here.

P

pcfan123

Plus cricket has bigger problems. Like players taking money to loose games

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors

Forget it and move on.

I agree with this. Well said.

Who wouldn't be frustrated with the way the game was panning out? It would of been extremely frustrating for the Australian players.

Users who are viewing this thread