Saffers' input on dismal ODI performance in UK

Valaskjalf

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Ok guys, Im starting this thread to hear from the other Saffers out there on the site and want to know what your thoughts are on the horrendous form we're showing against England.

This must be the worst cricket Ive seen from us in recent years, possibly ever. Had it been against Australia, fair enough, would have been disappointing but against England? We're supposed to pummel these okes, the results should have been reversed in actual fact. Why are we losing to them? Didnt we equal (or better) the Aussies' record for the longest run for consecutive ODI's won just last season? England came off a thrashing against NZ before this series and we've been sublime for a long time.....what are they feeding us over there? This isnt normal and luckily Ive done my best to focus on studies throughout this abomination and only watched a couple of highlights of the games - cant be bothered to put myself through the embarrassment.

So what is it? I accept Smith is out of the team, but we played badly even before he pulled out, our bowlers cant penetrate or even stick to bowling 6 balls per over and our batsmen look out of sorts....

Havent had a chance to watch to local cricket shows on dstv so not sure...I doubt that England are a better side than us, and thats what annoys me so much. Seems more like a fluke to me....can we all be so out of form all of a sudden?

Be cool to hear your comments.

khalek

Panel of Selectors
From what I've seen so far in the series, I don't think any of those wins were fluke (may be the 4th ODI was). Saffers really disappointed both with the bat and ball but I thought they could have won the 4th ODI, they were batting well but the rain really messed it up.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
If you think that the wins have been a fluke then your mustn't have seen much of the games. England have outclassed South Africa on all fronts and have looked the better team by far. Even Jaques Kallis admitted that England have looked a better team hand have outplayed them.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah, they were all flukes. In reality we should be 4-0 down. We've been awful really.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Right, lets analyse the South African team:

Graeme Smith: Looked out of touch, was obviously carrying the injury.
Herschelle Gibbs: Not on form, just starting to find his feet in the series.
Hashim Amla: Played a couple of nice innings, got in and got out.
Jaques Kallis: Has been poor. He's not picking the ball up, not getting forward properly. He's been awful.
Ab De Villiers: Looks massively out of form in ODi's against England.
JP Duminy: Still finding his feet in international cricket, doesn't look good enough atm.
Mark Boucher: Over the hill for me, doesn't look threatening with the bat.
Vernon Philander: Can't field, Can't really bat, isn't a brilliant bowler.
Albie Morkel: Played well in his 1 game so far, destructive with the bat, and good with the ball.
Johann Botha: Meh. Typical South African spinner, in the team for the sake of having a spinner, not impressive.
Morne Morkel: Has looked OK, nothing special, abit wayward.
Andre Nel: Has lost his nip, bowled ok yesterday though.
Dale Steyn: Isn't an ODi bowler. He's been spanked around by England, relies on swing.
Makhaya Ntini: Another Saffa who's over the hill. Great track record, but past it.

That's why South Africa are being hammered, none of the tema are performing. England look more energetic in the field, are bowling better, are better led atm and are batting far better. It's far from a fluke.

Last edited:

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
There's obviously been match-fixing since we're such an abysmal side.

vaibhav mehta

Chairman of Selectors
This thread should be in Cricket Discussion.
Better you would have wrote same in England Vs South Africa thread.
Just co operate,don't mess the things by creating unnecessary threads.

Well Regarding to Topic,Nothing else But England just owned Saffies there.
And All credits to KP and his fighters.England played well and won the series by 4-0,Nothing Fluke,Evo.

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I fail to see why this discussion can't take place in the tour thread, but I'll allow it for now. I'll leave it here in International Tours as it pertains only to the current tour.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Right, lets analyse the South African team:

Graeme Smith: Looked out of touch, was obviously carrying the injury.
Herschelle Gibbs: Not on form, just starting to find his feet in the series.
Hashim Amla: Played a couple of nice innings, got in and got out.
Jaques Kallis: Has been poor. He's not picking the ball up, not getting forward properly. He's been awful.
Ab De Villiers: Looks massively out of form in ODi's against England.
JP Duminy: Still finding his feet in international cricket, doesn't look good enough atm.
Mark Boucher: Over the hill for me, doesn't look threatening with the bat.
Vernon Philander: Can't field, Can't really bat, isn't a brilliant bowler.
Albie Morkel: Played well in his 1 game so far, destructive with the bat, and good with the ball.
Johann Botha: Meh. Typical South African spinner, in the team for the sake of having a spinner, not impressive.
Morne Morkel: Has looked OK, nothing special, abit wayward.
Andre Nel: Has lost his nip, bowled ok yesterday though.
Dale Steyn: Isn't an ODi bowler. He's been spanked around by England, relies on swing.
Makhaya Ntini: Another Saffa who's over the hill. Great track record, but past it.

That's why South Africa are being hammered, none of the tema are performing. England look more energetic in the field, are bowling better, are better led atm and are batting far better. It's far from a fluke.

Morne Morkel is nothing special, lol what a joke. I guess your one of those England supporters that would tell the whole world you have five Morne Morkels lineing up ready to play.

I agree with everything else your've said though. Except Duminy has to be in the team, he is going to be a great player one day.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Yeh, that's exactly what I meant. Morkel's a very special talent, but has to develop his accuracy. He's got pace, bounce, movement, but lacks control, and bowls regular no balls. What I meant in the above statement is that Morkel has failed to achieve his best in this current series, he was decent enough in the test series, but his lack of control meant that for me, Anderson was the pick of the bowlers in the series. He's then carried that waywardness into the ODi series, and has been outbowled by Flintoff, Harmison and Broad. He's certainly got masses of potential though, I'd love him to be around the England set-up.

Sureshot

Executive member
Morkel reminds me of Plunkett, action wise. A bit quicker though. I have to say, I think he has a lot to learn.

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
I think England have just been too good, the side looks so strong, batting, bowling and fielding. This current side would give anyone a run for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread