Sir Alex retires!

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
I turned on my PC to check my emails, and instead I got this bombshell!

Amid rampant speculation that he would step down in Wednesday's papers, United tweeted: "Sir Alex Ferguson retires. #thankyousiralex".

A club statement read: "The most successful manager in English football history will bow out after the West Bromwich Albion game on 19 May and join the football club board."

?The decision to retire is one that I have thought a great deal about and one that I have not taken lightly. It is the right time,? said Scot Ferguson, who is set for hip surgery in the summer.

So, who will replace him? Will this news make Jose think twice about Chelsea?

Will it be Moyes?
Will it be Klopp?
We'll have to wait and see...

Que sera, sera etc... :D

One thing's for certain: this is a crucial turning point in Man Utd's history. If we have another successful season next year under the new man, I can see us continuing domestic dominance for a long time. However, if we enter a 'transitional' phase, I can see things falling apart for a while. Another thing's for sure though: Utd would've had their target in mind for a long time, and it'll be a man that Sir Alex has had a big say in recommending.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Jose Mourinho - Evens

Why he should get it: A hugely successful manager in Portugal, England, Italy and Spain, Mourinho has consistently shown that he has outstanding tactical nous, motivational skills and the ability to deal with both prima donnas on the pitch and highly complex club set-ups behind the scenes. What better qualifications could anybody have?

Why he shouldn't get it: His habit of taking big jobs and moving on after two or three years is the exact opposite of what United will want after 26 years of managerial stability.

After reading that, Jose is definitely not the best choice - we don't need a guy who's going to pop off to a different country after three years.

As for Moyes, isn't it a bit of a risk to leap from a club like Everton (no disrespect intended, resident Everton fans) to one of the biggest clubs in the world? It would've been a much better situation if Sir Alex carried on for one more year, with Moyes as his No.2.

David Moyes - Evens

Why he should get it: Years of overachievement at Everton have earned the Scot a stellar reputation for bringing in underrated talent and then getting the best out of them, even clinching Champions League qualification in 2005. He has also shown his long-term dedication - in stark contrast to Mourinho - as he is the third-longest-serving manager in the top flight.

Why he shouldn't get it: There's a huge difference between running a relatively impoverished club and running the world's most valuable sports franchise, and Moyes is completely unproven when it comes to the latter. His constant frustration at Everton's inability to back him with transfer funds also suggests that he is not the man to negotiate the back corridors of Old Trafford - and balance competing interests - with a smile. He has not won a single trophy as a manager since guiding Preston to the League One title (then Division Two) in 2000.

Will he get it?: At first glance he seems the nearest thing to a like-for-like replacement for Ferguson: a straight-talking Scot who commands respect and absolute loyalty, and who could be trusted with a long-term brief to build the side. But Ferguson took over at United only after proving himself a huge success in Scotland, and then had the task of turning a third-rate club back into world beaters. Taking over a club at the top is a totally different matter. In other words, Moyes would have been a good fit for United in 1987, but he probably isn't now.

Personally, I reckon the whole hip operation thing has played a big part in Sir Alex' decision to retire.

And of course, Pep Guardiola has just signed up with Bayern.

Last edited:

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I think Bobby Charlton is quite strongly opposed to Mourinho taking over (similar to the concerns Barca had).
I think Moyes would be a gamble for them but I guess Ferguson was all those years ago too.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
All things point to Moyes. Sky Sports News are also saying Sir Alex's successor will be named in the next 48 hours.

You'd think there will have been a plan in place for this happening for some time.

I wonder if Mike Phelan will remain as assistant? Or will that cause problems with him saying 'well, that's not what Sir Alex would have done...'?

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
It in the Man Utd way to have all this in place before announcing the retirement. Still think they could spring a surprise.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I'm expecting two more retirement announcements now: Giggs and Scholes - I really can't see those two carrying on in the light of this news.

Utd will definitely have done their homework on the next manager, and Sir Alex would've had a big say in who it will be. I guess we'll find out soon enough. As I said before, my only concern about Moyes is the leap from Everton to Man Utd might be a bit much - a bit of a risk.

Jose would be the 'safe' option, but not the correct long term option as he has proven again and again. Besides which, I'd be amazed if something hasn't already been officially signed behind the scenes involving him and Chelsea.

----------

I think Bobby Charlton is quite strongly opposed to Mourinho taking over (similar to the concerns Barca had).
I think Moyes would be a gamble for them but I guess Ferguson was all those years ago too.

I think a lot of that is down to the fact that Jose never stays in one place for long.

Edit: Sky have just said the announcement could be as early as today.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
So Steve, how are you taking this? Nervous? Excited? If you are right and Giggs and Scholes take their leave too then it is going to be a very brave new world for United next season.

Love this stat btw:

"Of teams he faced more than 10 times, Alex Ferguson's highest loss percentage as Man Utd manager was v Norwich City (35%).?

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
So Steve, how are you taking this? Nervous? Excited? If you are right and Giggs and Scholes take their leave too then it is going to be a very brave new world for United next season.

Love this stat btw:

"Of teams he faced more than 10 times, Alex Ferguson's highest loss percentage as Man Utd manager was v Norwich City (35%).?

That's quite a surprising stat!

How do I feel... Shocked, and stunned. Regarding the new man, a mixture of dread and anticipation would be the correct way to sum it up.

Ha ha! Fred the Red as the new manager said a member of the coaching staff. :D :D

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Well I have seen Norwich v Man United 3 times and we won twice!

8th April 2005: Norwich 2-0 Manchester United
26th February 2012: Norwich 1-2 Manchester United
17th November 2012: Norwich 1-0 Manchester United

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Bittersweet, that's how I feel.

----------

As far as replacements go, David Moyes seems the "perfect" guy in my eyes, you can get him in with the long hall in mind, something United would want I think. With that said, not a single cell in me would be surprised if it's Jose.

Last edited:

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I reckon this'll bring an end to all the Ronaldo talk as well: I can't see him wanting to come back to a club surrounded by uncertainty. As long as Jose doesn't bring him to Chelsea...

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Yeah, and he wouldn't do that, not for Jose, not for anybody.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Where's the uncertainty? This all looks very planned to me.

Not to Ronaldo, I'm sure.

One other thing: the new man will now face the same problem Sir Alex himself did at first - will he be given time? Sir Alex was given time and the rest is history but in today's world time is something that managers don't get a lot of.

It's fairly vital that the new man is given a fair crack of the whip by the fans and the board.

Also something has just occurred to me: when Sir Matt Busby's reign ended, we didn't win the league for 26 years... isn't that ironic? We didn't win it for 26 years, and Sir Alex retired after 26 years in charge. :)

Users who are viewing this thread