SLIDERS - Around the world in 80 pitch sliders.....again

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
It's been a while, a good few months in fact, but as promised here is v4. For anyone following this afternoon's testing posts on the main thread (see here, here and here if not), I'm not really sure what to make of the game in it's current build, particularly regarding spinners, but I will say this:

If you're having fun with this game, keep doing it. If it involves these sliders, then great. If it doesn't, also great. I'm not sure what the shelf life of this game will continue to be, but if you have something that is working for you, that is awesome.

Change Log

Details of what has changed from V3 to V4 based on my few months of continued play:

All these changes are universal across all pitch types
  • AI batting has been increased from Veteran to Legend
  • AI striker timing has been raised
  • AI wicket chance has been lowered

• AI ball quality has been raised
  • Run rate numbers have been raised to come back to a default level.

• Bowling release windows are smaller
  • Spin difficulty has been raised
  • Spin flight has been significantly reduced
  • Spin bounce has been significantly reduced
  • Spin drift has been reduced

• A small increase to pitch friction
In short, my experiences over the last few months are that the AI wasn't good enough, chiefly that they didn't score enough runs, so I've made them harder/better.

The additional changes to physics aim to lessen the impact of user spinners against the AI, though at this point I'm unsure how possible that is with sliders alone, especially on any pitches that involved grass.

It could also be that you're better scrapping these sliders and going back to default completely haha!

Don't forget

Some slider values are probably wrong. In fact, they could well be wrong in multiple places

That's the point of publishing them, and having a version history attached.

User ability is a thing

These sliders are not just plug and play

If 100% of people just copy them down from the spreadsheet and put them straight into the game, 90% are probably going to be disappointed. The settings needs to be tailored to your own ability, how you like test cricket to be played, how you like the AI to play, there's loads of variables. It's not a one size fits all kind of deal.

The spreadsheet is a guide, a starting point. No doubt with some trial and error of your own, you'll find something even better for you.

It's the same deal as the previous versions, all formula are hidden and can't be accidentally edited, the sheet should be pretty hard to break. The sheet is designed so that the drop down boxes are the only thing that can be edited.

I'm unsure what I plan to do with this game going forward, we shall see. What I do hope is that these sliders are of use to people, even if it's just one person, who has a better gaming experience. The various versions have been downloaded well into four digits now, so that's something to be pleased with.

Thanks all, keep up the good work!

Attachments

• Cricket 22 - Pitch Slider Spreadsheet v4 14 04 2022.xlsx
    71.2 KB · Views: 99

rasdan

Club Captain
It's been a while, a good few months in fact, but as promised here is v4. For anyone following this afternoon's testing posts on the main thread (see here, here and here if not), I'm not really sure what to make of the game in it's current build, particularly regarding spinners, but I will say this:

If you're having fun with this game, keep doing it. If it involves these sliders, then great. If it doesn't, also great. I'm not sure what the shelf life of this game will continue to be, but if you have something that is working for you, that is awesome.

Change Log

Details of what has changed from V3 to V4 based on my few months of continued play:

In short, my experiences over the last few months are that the AI wasn't good enough, chiefly that they didn't score enough runs, so I've made them harder/better.

The additional changes to physics aim to lessen the impact of user spinners against the AI, though at this point I'm unsure how possible that is with sliders alone, especially on any pitches that involved grass.

It could also be that you're better scrapping these sliders and going back to default completely haha!

Don't forget

Some slider values are probably wrong. In fact, they could well be wrong in multiple places

User ability is a thing

If 100% of people just copy them down from the spreadsheet and put them straight into the game, 90% are probably going to be disappointed. The settings needs to be tailored to your own ability, how you like test cricket to be played, how you like the AI to play, there's loads of variables. It's not a one size fits all kind of deal.

The spreadsheet is a guide, a starting point. No doubt with some trial and error of your own, you'll find something even better for you.

It's the same deal as the previous versions, all formula are hidden and can't be accidentally edited, the sheet should be pretty hard to break. The sheet is designed so that the drop down boxes are the only thing that can be edited.

I'm unsure what I plan to do with this game going forward, we shall see. What I do hope is that these sliders are of use to people, even if it's just one person, who has a better gaming experience. The various versions have been downloaded well into four digits now, so that's something to be pleased with.

Hi, i havent been on here for a long time but since i now have cricket 22 i was delighted to see the sliders are still being worked. Only problem is when i try to download the spreadsheet (v4)it says error.can anyone help please? Thanks

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Hi, i havent been on here for a long time but since i now have cricket 22 i was delighted to see the sliders are still being worked. Only problem is when i try to download the spreadsheet (v4)it says error.can anyone help please? Thanks
I noticed an issue in one of the cell formulas. I have now corrected it. While I was sorting it I deleted the original v4 files, and I've now reuploaded. That may have been what caused the problem.

Give this page a refresh and try again, either from the post above or the first post in this thread, both have a copy of v4.

Let me know how you get on.

rasdan

Club Captain
I noticed an issue in one of the cell formulas. I have now corrected it. While I was sorting it I deleted the original v4 files, and I've now reuploaded. That may have been what caused the problem.

Give this page a refresh and try again, either from the post above or the first post in this thread, both have a copy of v4.

Let me know how you get on.

Hi, thanks for the info its now working although im not sure my brain can handle all the numbers haha

Bill Greensmith

Club Captain

Change Log

Don't forget

User ability is a thing

Thanks for your work Rumple.

Matty Smith

School Cricketer

Change Log

Don't forget

User ability is a thing

As always mate massive thanks for your efforts and pushing it out a day earlier than promised aswell very impressive i look forward to using these and actually enjoy playing the game without guys like you i would not know were to start.

StranGTastic Gamer

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
India

Change Log

Don't forget

User ability is a thing

Thanks a lot Buddy! It's extremely hard to test all this and come up with plans to create this sheet. Hats off to you efforts Rumple.
Regards :)

smurfygray86

Associate Captain
Thanks mate Easter sorted this weekends fun sorted. Also taken on board the pro cam batting it’s magnificent once you get used to Legend

Monzi

Panel of Selectors
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

Change Log

Don't forget

User ability is a thing

Thanks for the lovely work! But I think I found a bug/issue in this. In spin bowling, Asia sliders, the flight ball travels faster than the bounce ball which is exactly opposite of what it should be. But it is fixed if I keep spin flight 50 and spin bounce 50. Is there anyone else feeling the same? Or it’s a bug from the new update.

isrararrafi

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
United States
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
@Rumple43 I am quite late to this so apologies if this is a dumb question. In the spreadsheet I see all the difficulty settings are set to either hard or legend. Is that how we should also set it up with the numbers provided? I am asking because currently I play in medium difficulty and don't touch the sliders at all and I have trouble batting in a test match on anything on off stump or wider. Simply trying to play a straight or cover shot results in caught behind by wk or slips almost 80% of the time even with ideal timing. Wondering if these sliders may help or I just need to learn to bat better (by assuming I am doing it all wrong).

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
@Rumple43 I am quite late to this so apologies if this is a dumb question. In the spreadsheet I see all the difficulty settings are set to either hard or legend. Is that how we should also set it up with the numbers provided? I am asking because currently I play in medium difficulty and don't touch the sliders at all and I have trouble batting in a test match on anything on off stump or wider. Simply trying to play a straight or cover shot results in caught behind by wk or slips almost 80% of the time even with ideal timing. Wondering if these sliders may help or I just need to learn to bat better (by assuming I am doing it all wrong).
You shouldn't be getting out or edging on any difficulty with ideal timing, and I can't say I've ever seen that happen with these sliders.

You could plug the physics sliders in but put the AI difficulty to medium/keep your current batting and bowling settings to see how you go. That way the pitches may react in the way you want, but you're not changing the difficulty of the game play.

isrararrafi

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
United States
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
You shouldn't be getting out or edging on any difficulty with ideal timing, and I can't say I've ever seen that happen with these sliders.

You could plug the physics sliders in but put the AI difficulty to medium/keep your current batting and bowling settings to see how you go. That way the pitches may react in the way you want, but you're not changing the difficulty of the game play.
Thank you . You were correct. I actually was timing it late. I had the timing hud off and I thought I was timing it well (based on animation). But looks like I was being quite late in timing more often than not and that probably what was causing it.

macolyte

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Thanks for your hard work mate - I’ve played with the sliders for a bit and they’re pretty much spot on. The only issue I have is how easy it is to hit fours and sixes with a straight drive off the back foot - I can pretty much get to the boundary every time. It seems to be easiest on the Aussie dry hard settings, where the bounce is highest.

What sliders would you suggest moving to make things a bit harder?

Cheers

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Thanks for your hard work mate - I’ve played with the sliders for a bit and they’re pretty much spot on. The only issue I have is how easy it is to hit fours and sixes with a straight drive off the back foot - I can pretty much get to the boundary every time. It seems to be easiest on the Aussie dry hard settings, where the bounce is highest.

What sliders would you suggest moving to make things a bit harder?

Cheers
If it's that one specific shot,it suggests it is probably more of a coding issue than a slider issue.

You could look to up the footwork difficulty so you can't just rock onto the back foot for every ball, as you'll get penalised more heavily for doing so.

Other than that,there's not too much to suggest. Depending what format of cricket you're playing, you could lower the shot power so the ball doesn't go so far, or generally lower the batting sliders but increase the ideal timing boost so that only ideal timed shots go a long way, and anything less won't have the same impact.

Users who are viewing this thread