Slumdog Millionaire (2008)

MacWorld

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
This movie definatly deserves its own thread, i really loved to this film and it deserves to win all the awards it has been nominated for. The acting and story line blew me away and i loved it. It deserves a 10 from me, the music by AR Rahman was amazing as well. Great film.

Synopsis: British director Danny Boyle takes another intriguing career turn with this heartfelt underdog tale. Jamal Malik (Dev Patel) is a street kid (or "slumdog") who has landed an appearance on India's... British director Danny Boyle takes another intriguing career turn with this heartfelt underdog tale. Jamal Malik (Dev Patel) is a street kid (or "slumdog") who has landed an appearance on India's version of the hit TV game show WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE? Jamal exceeds expectations on the show, and the producers alert the police after they become suspicious of his methods. The young contestant is subsequently arrested and is interrogated at the hands of a nameless police inspector (played by Bollywood star Irfan Khan). As the interrogation proceeds, Boyle tells Jamal's story through harrowing flashbacks that both show the terrible poverty of Mumbai and help explain how he knew the answers to the MILLIONAIRE questions. SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE is a tightly woven story that has been expertly edited into shape. The contrast between Jamal's upbringing and his chance of escaping it on the show are adeptly juxtaposed. Mumbai is portrayed as a place of terrifying poverty and unforgettable brutality, and Jamal and his brother get into a never-ending succession of challenging situations. But the way Boyle ties together Jamal's life experiences with his answers on the show is quite brilliant, and the film really does run the full gamut of emotions as we see him growing up, falling in love, coming close to death, and teetering on the brink of escaping from his terrible predicament. The film belongs to Boyle's cast, who are mostly unknown outside of India. Patel, in particular, gives a startlingly mature performance that audiences are likely to remember long after the credits role on this affecting feature.

mukund_nadkarni

Club Cricketer
I'm yet to watch this movie. Will be watching it later in the week, hopefully wont disappoint. Will be watching a Hindi movie after a long long time!

.Mob

International Coach
It's only Hindi for the first quarter, and it just so happened to be by far, the best quarter of the film.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
I've yet to see this as well. But I've heard the music and it isn't that great. AR Rehman has produced better music in other movies.

Precambrian

International Cricketer
I've yet to see this as well. But I've heard the music and it isn't that great. AR Rehman has produced better music in other movies.
Oh yes. But see the movie and see how it gels with it superbly.

Isnt it amazing when one of his lesser works gets an Oscar nomination, Imagine what'd be the case had it been Roja?

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
I didn't watch Roja, but I find Taal one of his best works. But anyway, it's good for him that he is getting international recognisition. Hopefully we won't go to Hollywood or something after he has won an Oscar.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Jai Hoooo ... I loved this song.. Slumdog millionaire and Delhi 6.. both these projects of ARR are just awesome to ears :hpraise And ya, this movie faces a tough competition with another awesome movie, Dark Knight. Lets see how well it's doing.

@Zexy, though u didn't watch Roja, try hearing the music. Its bloody awesome. I will take Roja's music as THE best of ARR. :)

Roofrom50

International Coach
Have not yet to see this movie.. Will certainly go and see it though, soon

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Brilliant movie... Top performances from all of the actors. And the music of course, is mind blowing. Not AR Rahman's best at all (he has done better work in his recent Dilli-6 too) but still, for the West which has not heard almost any of his music, its worthy of being given an award (which happens to be the Oscar)

mukund_nadkarni

Club Cricketer
Oh yes. But see the movie and see how it gels with it superbly.

Isnt it amazing when one of his lesser works gets an Oscar nomination, Imagine what'd be the case had it been Roja?

Yes, absolutely! And in a way it also tells us that we shouldn't need the Oscars to judge the value of our legends.

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
Yet to see the movie planning of going on this weekends. But ARR has done brilliant in this movie and "Jai Ho" as Suren said is the best song ever heard.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
"Jai Ho" is an inspiration from Rahman's own composition "Ellapugazhum" (All praise to the lord) from the Tamil film 'Azhagiya Tamizh Magan' (The handsome son of Tamil Nadu) starring actor Vijay. Its all destiny that this song has to go to the West and be appreciated like this.

Precambrian

International Cricketer
"Jai Ho" is an inspiration from Rahman's own composition "Ellapugazhum" (All praise to the lord) from the Tamil film 'Azhagiya Tamizh Magan' (The handsome son of Tamil Nadu) starring actor Vijay. Its all destiny that this song has to go to the West and be appreciated like this.
When did Ajith act in that to qualify for that title?

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Can someone tell me what is so great about this movie? I just watched it and consider it at the most a 'good' picture. Picturization is good, but the individual acting is pretty poor. Anil Kapur makes a fool out of himself.

And as has been mentioned before, this is nowhere near A.R. Rahman's best composition.

Users who are viewing this thread