South Africa Team Discussion

S

Satan666

The problem there was JP struggling, he doesn't usually go for 43 from 3 overs. They will need to make up 10 between him,ab,faf and rilee. They should have picked David Wiese/Albie Morkel/Chris Morris but no use crying over spilled milk the side is still capable of winning the world cup.

They do need to sort out this issue when chasing or AB needs to win 3 tosses and bat first ;P

Exactly whats the reason Albie is not there? The quota system I am assuming cuz he is a damn good allrounder!

stefan

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Exactly whats the reason Albie is not there? The quota system I am assuming cuz he is a damn good allrounder!

He was injured for most of the season. Fantastic form since he came back, sadly his 100 for the titans in the domestic final came after the side had been picked.

hawkeye

Club Cricketer
Is there a batsman playing today more attractive to watch than Amla? And good too.

But his remarkable records are only half the story. Many of us are drawn to the sheer artistry of his batting. No batsman playing today wields his blade with the relaxed grace of the South African right-hander. Supple wrists permit the kind of manoeuvrability that marks him as one of the leading piercer of gaps in the outfield, a quality that allows him a near 360-degree scoring range. An Amla innings, whether he makes 20 or 200, is always worth the time, for while there is nothing really flashy about his strokeplay, there is a polish and an economy of movement that sets him apart.

The Artistry Of Hashim Amla

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Another great Worlcup semifinal and another loss, probably this is the story of SA cricket. Now things are over for them I guess it better to give my review about this SA team.
As far as batting is concerned except Quinton de Kock everyone batted very well in the whole tournament, specially the middle order was too good. Faf, Rilee, ABd and Miller all batted well throughout the tournament and they were not only anchoring the innings but were also batting super fast.
Bowling on the other hand was bit weak through out the tournament, specially fast bowling. Steyn didn't perform to his potential even in 1 game which is very sad for such a great bowler, I guess he was not fully fit which may be the reason for his under performance. Morkel bowled well but in all the fast bowlers I like Abbot the most, too bad he missed the all important semifinal.
But the best thing that happened to SA team is Imran Tahir, a proper legspinner which was missing from all SA teams in previous tournaments. SA should invest more in spin bowling.
AB de Villiers is a very passionate captain but he needs to be a little calmer specially in big matches. Although its very sad that they have missed yet another golden opportunity but I hope AB de Villiers play next world as a captain too and learn from his mistakes and win it for his country.

CremerCurrans

ICC Chairman
SA.....
ZIM...
Profile Flag
Zimbabwe
Squads for the South African domestic season, released so far:

Cape Cobras:

Sybrand Engelbrecht, Beuran Hendricks, Justin Kemp, Shaheen Khan, Rory Kleinveldt, Richard Levi, Tshepo Moreki, Justin Ontong, Dane Paterson, Keegan Petersen, Robin Peterson, Dane Piedt, Andrew Puttick, Omphile Ramela, Mthokozisi Shezi, Stiaan van Zyl, Dane Vilas and Lizaad Williams.

The national players who are based at the Cobras are: Hashim Amla, JP Duminy, Vernon Philander, Wayne Parnell and Dale Steyn.

LIONS:

Stephen COOK
Rassie VAN DER DUSSEN
Temba BAVUMA
Alviro PETERSEN
Neil MCKENZIE
Jean SYMES
Devon CONWAY
Thami TSOLEKILE
Dominic HENDRICKS
Shaylen PILLAY
Dwaine PRETORIUS
Bjorn FORTUIN
Eddie LEIE
Aaron PHANGISO - CSA Contracted
Hardus VILJOEN
Kagiso RABADA - CSA Contracted
Lonwabo TSOTSOBE - CSA Contracted
Sean JAMISON
Pumelela MATSHIKWE
Nono PONGOLO

Out: Quinton de Kock & Chris Morris
In: Bjorn Fortuin, Sean Jamison, Nono Pongolo

TITANS:

Heino KUHN
Dean ELGAR - CSA Contracted
Faf DU PLESSIS - CSA Contracted
AB DE VILLIERS - CSA Contracted
Quinton DE KOCK - CSA Contracted
Theunis DE BRUYN
Graeme VAN BUUREN
Henry DAVIDS
Farhaan BEHARDIEN
Qaasim ADAMS
Albie MORKEL
David WIESE
Chris MORRIS
Mangalsio MOSEHLE
Shaun VON BERG
Tabraiz SHAMSI
Morne MORKEL - CSA Contracted
Marchant DE LANGE
Ethy MBHALATI
Junior DALA
Rowan RICHARDS
Sammy MOFOKENG

In: Quinton de Kock, Chris Morris, Sammy Mofokeng
Out: Roelof vd Merwe, JP de Villiers

Henry Davids to captain 4-day cricket, Albie Morkel to captain limited overs cricket & Theunis de Bruyn is vice-captain for all 3 formats[DOUBLEPOST=1437976467][/DOUBLEPOST]The season starts in early October.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
You cant say SA have a decent set up when Zondo goes touring around with the ODI team and Bavuma is becoming a Test regular...

stefan

International Coach
He is very good imho but won't get into the test side just yet. Unless is a green pitch that requires no spinner steyn,morkel and philander will still be first choice.

Markkkkk

Profile Flag
South Africa
The domestic competition is filtering through to the International team unfortunately.

The domestic competition is fine. When we have players like Cook, Puttick, Paterson and Viljoen as well as Morkel (TBF he should of been playing for the last 8 years), Van der Dussen and many others all just being domestic players shows that we have a very strong pool, the problem is they just dont get chosen (we all know why but we wont talk about it as people get very upset)...[DOUBLEPOST=1446455117][/DOUBLEPOST]
Just how good is Rabada? Cant wait to see him play live

He's a lot like Martin Odegaard. Lots of potential but if he keeps on getting overpraised it could very well get to his head...

War

Chairman of Selectors
Disappointed Test series against India :facepalm

Ye the Van Zyl opening experiment has failed his future is as a middle order bat, time to give Cook a chance. Also De Kock back for Vilas. Otherwise the team is still strong @stefan

stefan

International Coach
Ye the Van Zyl opening experiment has failed his future is as a middle order bat, time to give Cook a chance. Also De Kock back for Vilas. Otherwise the team is still strong @stefan

Yes agreed. Personally not fully convinced with Cook or Puttick for that matter, just averaging over 40 in first class cricket doesn't really shout pick me. But seem to be lacking opening batsman options.

QDK must come back for Villas. Better keeper and better batsman + younger.

Markkkkk

Profile Flag
South Africa
I still think lets give Vilas a chance, de Kock doesnt have the mentality to play test cricket as of yet...

S

Satan666

Been out of the loop for a while but got to say South Africa let me down big time by giving the Indians something to boast about.

Still havent gathered all the data from the series but it seems SA lost their way to spin.

Also how has AB, the much vaunted player of the generations performed?

stefan

International Coach
I still think lets give Vilas a chance, de Kock doesnt have the mentality to play test cricket as of yet...

What did Vilas show mentally that he is better then QDK in that series? First test gets out sweeping when he needs to stay with ab,second test driving on the up again when needing to just give support to ab. First class average of 39 compared to QDK's 45, take into account that most of QDK's first class career was spend opening for the lions while Vilas has always batted in the middle to lower order and the difference becomes telling. Much harder to open the innings on south african pitches.

Also qdk has shown he can get 100's at international level.

Been out of the loop for a while but got to say South Africa let me down big time by giving the Indians something to boast about.

Still havent gathered all the data from the series but it seems SA lost their way to spin.

Also how has AB, the much vaunted player of the generations performed?

They didn't play well, didn't show the application needed under the terrible condition that were provided. AB played well in the first 2 tests but lacked support, didn't play well in nagpur.

Users who are viewing this thread