South Africa

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
salogo.png

For discussion about the South African cricket team in the T20 World cup.

Squad

Batsmen
  • Graeme Smith (captain)
  • AB de Villiers
  • JP Duminy
  • Herschelle Gibbs
  • Justin Ontong

Bowlers
  • Johan Botha (vice-captain)
  • Yusuf Abdulla
  • Morne Morkel
  • Wayne Parnell
  • Robbie Peterson
  • Dale Steyn

All Rounders
  • Jacques Kallis
  • Albie Morkel
  • Roelof van der Merwe

Wicket Keepers
  • Mark Boucher

vickyrox

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
There 11 should be like this
G.Smith(c)
H.Gibbs
J.Kallis
AB.De Villears
J.P. Duminy
A.Morkel
R.Van Der merwe
M.Boucher
J.Botha
M.Morkel/Y.Abdullah
D.Steyn​

stefan

International Coach
Parnell,Peterson and Botha usually get classified as all rounders here in SA. Parnell and Botha are questionable but Peterson is definitely an allrounder.

mdoggie

Club Cricketer
Parnell,Peterson and Botha usually get classified as all rounders here in SA. Parnell and Botha are questionable but Peterson is definitely an allrounder.
Was thinking the exact same thing. After all Peterson opened for us against Australia.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Is Kallis going to play? His T20 record is pretty poor and surely Albie and van der Merwe are ahead of him in the all-rounder spots. I'd play Vik's team, but take out Kallis and play both Morne and Abdulla because Boucher at 7 and Botha at 8 still gives you plenty of batting for a T20.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I think Kallis will and should play, he had a good IPL.

Let's see...Smith and Gibbs to open, Kallis at three. JP at 4. ABD at 5. Spots 6-9 occupied by Boucher, Morkel, Botha and van de Merwe. Leaves room for two bowlers, Steyn and one of Abdullah/Morkel.

Wow. 3 spinners if you include JP, 4 seamers, batting till 9. The top 5 is fabulous, 6-9 might be a bit shaky but are more than adequate for a T20. Only concern might be Abdullah/Morkel. Morkel didn't play a lot in the IPL and wasn't really impressive, Abdullah started well but faded out, and is inexperienced at this level. Parnell/Peterson are a bit raw too, although both are quite good, and add to the batting some more.

Apart from that one spot in the lineup, wow.

stefan

International Coach
Is Kallis going to play? His T20 record is pretty poor and surely Albie and van der Merwe are ahead of him in the all-rounder spots. I'd play Vik's team, but take out Kallis and play both Morne and Abdulla because Boucher at 7 and Botha at 8 still gives you plenty of batting for a T20.

Kallis had a good ipl with the bat and has a superb bowling record in english conditions. The real question is were to slot him in for 20/20. If smith wasn't eh captain he wouldn't be in the side on current form.

I suspect the side will look like this:

1.Smith
2.Gibbs
3.Kallis
4.AB
5.JP
6.Boucher
7.Albie
8.Van der Merwe
9.Both
10.Morne/Yusuf/Peterson/Parnell
11.Steyn

If the pitch spins peterson will play but he will bat ahead of boucher. Looks a good side imho.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
South Africa should try and change the batting orders during the tournament and not have a fixed batting order. For example, in the first match Kallis can bat at number three and next match de Villiers or van der Merwe (he did at Bangalore) at number three, so everybody has a chance to bat. If South Africa wins matches easily the lower order might not get a chance to get bat practice and they may need it in the last part of the tournament.

Smth was off form during the IPL and he really should work on his batting.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Kallis had a good ipl with the bat and has a superb bowling record in english conditions. The real question is were to slot him in for 20/20. If smith wasn't eh captain he wouldn't be in the side on current form.

I suspect the side will look like this:

1.Smith
2.Gibbs
3.Kallis
4.AB
5.JP
6.Boucher
7.Albie
8.Van der Merwe
9.Both
10.Morne/Yusuf/Peterson/Parnell
11.Steyn

If the pitch spins peterson will play but he will bat ahead of boucher. Looks a good side imho.

Looks to be quite a waste having Albie so low, maybe it will work better now that he is back with SA but for the CSK he seem to be wasted batting so low. Bowling selection certainly will be interesting, Parnell with his swing could be a real threat in England. Yusuf would be the only threat to Parnell imo.

stefan

International Coach
Looks to be quite a waste having Albie so low, maybe it will work better now that he is back with SA but for the CSK he seem to be wasted batting so low. Bowling selection certainly will be interesting, Parnell with his swing could be a real threat in England. Yusuf would be the only threat to Parnell imo.

What SA has generally done in 20 overs cricket is promoted morkel up the order if 5 overs are left. I don't think they will do what the super kings did and leave him just 6 balls or less. Maybe he should be at 6 and boucher at 7 in the lineup.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I think South Africa apart from India look to be the strongest team of the tournament. Definitely favorites to win the title. Would love to see an India vs South Africa final.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
What SA has generally done in 20 overs cricket is promoted morkel up the order if 5 overs are left. I don't think they will do what the super kings did and leave him just 6 balls or less. Maybe he should be at 6 and boucher at 7 in the lineup.

Yea I thought SA did something different with Morkel as he always performs for them but then when he went to CSK he bearly had any impact with the bat. I would say Boucher would be left at 6 for the collapses but if they need the hitting they should move Morkel although going by what we saw in the ODIs, Boucher still went ahead of him during the hitting periods.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I think SA just played their best 11 against Pakistan today. Very impressive display with both bat and ball. Morkel probably made more runs in that one knock than he did in the entire IPL! Kallis and Smith is a good opening combo allowing for one steady guy and an aggressive hitter with Gibbs to continue the aggression at 3.

stefan

International Coach
I think SA just played their best 11 against Pakistan today. Very impressive display with both bat and ball. Morkel probably made more runs in that one knock than he did in the entire IPL! Kallis and Smith is a good opening combo allowing for one steady guy and an aggressive hitter with Gibbs to continue the aggression at 3.

Well he came in earlier than he did in most IPL games. That should be the side if pitches and weather stay the same. If it seams and swings van der merwe may make way for one of m.morkel/abdullah. But I expect the side that played yesterday to play most of the games.

Users who are viewing this thread