South Africa's Fast Bowling Depth

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
So today I was browsing through Cricinfo, and I began to notice the depth that South Africa has for a bowling unit.

My order of best South African bowlers:

1. Dale Steyn- Yea we all know him, utter beast if I'm honest.
2. Morne Morkel- Doesn't have the same rewards as Steyn, but he is the quicker and arguably the scariest of the lot.
3. Dane Paterson - Wait, what? Yes, no Vernon or Abbott as the man from Cape Town takes the bronze in my list. One look at his records and it's hard to see why he hasn't picked up a cap for South Africa. Another Fast bowler, Dane averages 21.35 with the ball in 63 first class matches and finished last season as the highest wicket-taker with 42 wickets at an average of 22.54... Looks like he under performed yet he should still be seeing a Green cap soon.
4. Kyle Abbott- Ahh the controversy. 4 white bowlers so far? We already know this list would be burned by the CSA. Well Kyle Abbott took 7/29 on Test debut and two years later has added 2 more Tests under his belt. Well done CSA!
5. Vernon Philander- The fast South African to reach 100 wickets and unlike the majority of South Africans, he isnt a scare the batsmen out his socks but uses good line and length to get his dismissals, and he's 'black' so expect him to play every test match untill he retires at 45... CSA! CSA! CSA!
6. Hardus Viljoen- Now he may have the worst average of the lot, 26.27, but he is certainly better then that. His pace makes him the fastest bowler in South Africa and is another bowler who probably should have played more before he decided to move to New Zealand, but don't fear! We have Beuran Hendricks! CSA? CSA? CSA?
7. Kagiso Rabada- Not the best but could easily take Steyn's throne. Rabada at the age of 20 is casually taking 9/33 and prancing around with nametags like 'The next big thing'. Probably the best talent after Paterson in this list but as we all know, he is 'African' so will be pushed and trained by everything we got because he could finally be a good, young, black player in the SA side (Sorry Bavuma).
8. Chris Morris- Wierd, isnt it? Morris is my 8th ranked bowler, yet he is currently making a living at the IPL and is probably going to feature a couple more times (Untill Shezi takes 2 wickets and catapulted into the side) but I hope he could even manage a test or 2? Having figures of 2/2 in a t20 isn't bad either...

Obviously there are more like Richards, Shezi, Hendricks, Birch but they aren't really International quality so we only have 8 international bowlers in our midst. Yet the sad reality is the majority won't reach their potential as people like Parnell (I laughed when I wrote this) and Hendricks will be thrusted into the side because of colour. csa. csa. csa.

War

Chairman of Selectors
^^

The colour issue is fact with CSA, naive to deny it.

I've always liked the look of Viljeon since i first saw him at the cricket champions league. Real pace, very surprised he hasn't played for S Africa as yet. Rabada is talented yea, but Viljeon looks better.

How Morris hasn't played more for S Africa & Hendricks, Klienvelth, Tsotosbe have played so much recently can only be down to the quota situation.

Last edited:

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
^^

The colour issue is fact with CSA, naive to deny it.

I've always liked the look of Viljeon since i first saw him at the cricket champions league. Real pace, very surprised he hasn't played for S Africa as yet. Rabada is talented yea, but Viljeon looks better.

How Morris hasn't played more for S Africa & Hendricks, Klienvelth, Tsotosbe have played so much recently can only be down to the quota situation.

I'm not saying it's not an issue but that's not to say Vernon is a bad bowler or is only getting his shot cos his black and the OP is clearly stating that some bowlers will only get a shot because of their colour, neglecting the fact that they may well be top level players.

Plus, this is a system which is REQUIRED in SA, after years, decades of racial oppression.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
This could have been a good thread if not for all the pent up racial issues lol

I didnt intend to make it all race, race, race. Its just as I was writing this I realised that Kleinveldt, Parnell, Tsotsobe and everyone often gets selected ahead of the other bowlers and I got a little bit muffed. Philander as well as he did, was pushed through the ranks a little quickly. Half the country didnt know a Vernon and I might be mistaken but his records weren't anything special.

About how this system is required. Its not. Take it from me, I play against people playing for Gauteng and all these good sides not because they are better but because of their race, yet they go to a more expensive school. They pay higher school fees then me but I'm not underprivileged, they are. Its all completely stuffed up, we're sending average bowlers all over the world because of their race. What should be done is develop black schools from the start. All the government have done is thrust under developed players into the national side. Rural schools have 0 cricket fields, 0 cricket coaches and honestly, 0 interest in playing cricket, in reality not many black people have dreams of playing cricket but rather soccer. South Africa has probably the best prospects in the world in soccer but no one makes it, because they dont get taught. But back to cricket. People are under a illusanation that if nothing is fixed in schools, aslong as blacks are forced into the national team it is all sorted. Trust me, 99% of the black players who play for South Africa in the next 19 years will be from the top schools (Kares, St Stithians, St Johns etc).

War

Chairman of Selectors
I'm not saying it's not an issue but that's not to say Vernon is a bad bowler or is only getting his shot cos his black and the OP is clearly stating that some bowlers will only get a shot because of their colour, neglecting the fact that they may well be top level players.

Plus, this is a system which is REQUIRED in SA, after years, decades of racial oppression.

Philander is the only black player that has played for S Africa in recent years because of merit and the world knows he is an excellent player no doubt. But their was a hint of government intervention quota/racism about his forced selection in the world cup semi-final vs N Zealand. He was clearly not 100% fit and a in form Abbot should have played.

Then again as i was in the recent past, Philander according to how S African culture weirdly judges people of colour - Philander isn't even considered as "black" as maybe a Tsotsobe or Ntini ha smh :facepalm

As a black/mixed raced person myself I can't accept the S African government logic that forcing black/coloured players into a sports team not on merit is going to help redress any racial balance of past discriminations. Its simply comes across as reverse racism.

Black people worldwide are still being victimized by the elites and white folks in subtle ways - so its the height of naivety to think that will make any difference.

Users who are viewing this thread