Sri Lanka tour of England - 2016

aditya123

National Board President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Went down largely as I expected although I thought England would bat better. Asian teams just can't hang on foreign conditions, especially in a post Waqar/Wasim world. England will eat up Sri Lanka and then Pakistan if conditions and pitches remain the same.

Its been 15 years since the post Wasim/Waqar era and I`m pretty sure Asian sides have won as well (or as bad) as non-Asian sides have done in Asia. Pre-2011 India drew series in Australia, England, SA and won test series in NZ (2009), England (2007) and West Indies. I`m pretty sure SL and Pakistan had their share of test match wins outside Asia as well (SL won in Durban and Leeds, Pakistan should`ve won in Sydney last time and did beat Australia and England in England in 2007/8). Yes, the subcontinent sides have capitulated but so have non-Asian sides. Australia were woeful against swing last Ashes and even SA recently haven`t been great against swing/seam bowling. When subcontinent sides collapse, we tend to read more into it than otherwise. Even a rookie Indian side during their recent long chain of overseas tours were extremely competitive if you really followed the tests in SA, NZ, Australia and the first part of the England series. The debacles tend to get highlighted though.

bigred

Club Captain
Its been 15 years since the post Wasim/Waqar era and I`m pretty sure Asian sides have won as well (or as bad) as non-Asian sides have done in Asia. Pre-2011 India drew series in Australia, England, SA and won test series in NZ (2009), England (2007) and West Indies. I`m pretty sure SL and Pakistan had their share of test match wins outside Asia as well (SL won in Durban and Leeds, Pakistan should`ve won in Sydney last time and did beat Australia and England in England in 2007/8). Yes, the subcontinent sides have capitulated but so have non-Asian sides. Australia were woeful against swing last Ashes and even SA recently haven`t been great against swing/seam bowling. When subcontinent sides collapse, we tend to read more into it than otherwise. Even a rookie Indian side during their recent long chain of overseas tours were extremely competitive if you really followed the tests in SA, NZ, Australia and the first part of the England series. The debacles tend to get highlighted though.

England have actually got a decent record in India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh in the last 15 years. 2 wins in Bangladesh, and a win and drawn series in India and Sri Lanka. It's away in Pakistan (UAE) that we've had the problems.

In that same time, both India and Sri Lanka have had a tough time generally in England, but they have picked up a series win. It's Pakistan that have really struggled. I would say that Pakistan are probably one of the best, or perhaps even the most formidable home side but are also the worst travellers.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
It's Pakistan that have really struggled. I would say that Pakistan are probably one of the best, or perhaps even the most formidable home side but are also the worst travellers.
It doesn't help that we get 5-6 series in a row in the subcontinent, and then 4-5 outside Asia.

dp458

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Woakes has probably just bowled himself into the team, currently on fire vs Durham, he has 8 wickets out of 9 in the first innings

cricket_icon

International Cricketer

I agree non-Asian sides have maybe done equally as bad in Asia but then again, much of the last decade was dominated by a strong Australia and England won their last test series in India and SA have been very strong until recently against India.

India haven't won a major test series against England or Australia (away) in how long?

The problem isn't that they have bad teams, it's that their batting often does very bad against the swinging ball and Was/Waqar managed to win test matches on their bowling alone, especially in England when we were under the kosh for quite a while. India looked good when they drew some years back and Zaheer was a huge part of that.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
England have actually got a decent record in India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh in the last 15 years. 2 wins in Bangladesh, and a win and drawn series in India and Sri Lanka. It's away in Pakistan (UAE) that we've had the problems.

In that same time, both India and Sri Lanka have had a tough time generally in England, but they have picked up a series win. It's Pakistan that have really struggled. I would say that Pakistan are probably one of the best, or perhaps even the most formidable home side but are also the worst travellers.

Didn't Sri Lanka and India draw test series, not win? Or is my memory getting messed up?

I agree, Pakistan have probably struggled the most but at the same time, they have been put in some very good test bowling performances.

I agree that they are probably the best "home" side going.

Edit: Agreed, India did win 1-0. I remember that was a series with Zaheer Khan doing well.

bigred

Club Captain
Didn't Sri Lanka and India draw test series, not win? Or is my memory getting messed up?

I agree, Pakistan have probably struggled the most but at the same time, they have been put in some very good test bowling performances.

I agree that they are probably the best "home" side going.

Edit: Agreed, India did win 1-0. I remember that was a series with Zaheer Khan doing well.

And SL beat us last time they were here.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
And SL beat us last time they were here.

Yes, 1-0. I remembered it as being a drawn series, I think weather played a big part in that.

Anyway, none of this changes the fact that Asian teams coming to England or Australia or SA lose the vast majority of the time. The odd win here or there isn't enough. If someone was to check the stats, I'm sure the non-Asian teams have won more often in Aisa than vice verse (most likely due to Australia lol).

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Anyway, none of this changes the fact that Asian teams coming to England or Australia or SA lose the vast majority of the time. The odd win here or there isn't enough. If someone was to check the stats, I'm sure the non-Asian teams have won more often in Aisa than vice verse (most likely due to Australia lol).
Team records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

cricket_icon

International Cricketer

thats great but is it looking at teams in asia and then asian teams outside of asia? i cant tell from the options as they are all ticked off.

Edit: Just had a look, good stuff. Pakistan have indeed won a lot of away tests outside of Asia. I have been proven wrong.

Having said that, the number of tests is also high so if you look at the W/L ratio, Pakistan place 5th, with the 4 teams above being all being non Asian. But it's not bad on Pakistan's part.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 149013

Did anyone see Channel 5’s highlights last night? Simon Hughes fell like a heap of shite near the boundary, I swear that man can’t get anymore pathetic.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Brilliant stuff from Mo. Good to see him sticking two fingers up at people who say he's not good enough with the bat. Also really pleased for Chris Woakes. Hopefully he'll get the chance to make that into a 5-for tomorrow morning, rather than Cook giving Broad and Anderson first crack at the tail.

bigred

Club Captain
I'm a big Steven Finn fan but his run up and action looks all wrong at the moment. I wonder if Woakes will put him under pressure for his place in the first Pakistan test. Imagine the batting lineup if we do:

1. Cook
2. Hales
3. ????
4. Root
5. Vince
6. Stokes
7. Bairstow
8. Ali
9. Woakes
10. Broad
11. Anderson

dp458

Club Captain
Brilliant stuff from Mo. Good to see him sticking two fingers up at people who say he's not good enough with the bat. Also really pleased for Chris Woakes. Hopefully he'll get the chance to make that into a 5-for tomorrow morning, rather than Cook giving Broad and Anderson first crack at the tail.
That was never obviously going to happen, but it would have been a good idea[DOUBLEPOST=1464517622][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm a big Steven Finn fan but his run up and action looks all wrong at the moment. I wonder if Woakes will put him under pressure for his place in the first Pakistan test. Imagine the batting lineup if we do:

1. Cook
2. Hales
3. ????
4. Root
5. Vince
6. Stokes
7. Bairstow
8. Ali
9. Woakes
10. Broad
11. Anderson

Again this would be such a deep batting line up #10 with a Test 169[DOUBLEPOST=1464517682][/DOUBLEPOST]The extra batsman is one from Hildreth/Borthwick/Ballance/Buttler for me. It depends on how Buttler goes for Lancs now he is back from the IPL

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Cor, Sri Lanka aren't that good, are they?

Users who are viewing this thread