Stories, scorecards, epic matches: screenshots, scorecards, stories: no vids please.

Ed Smith

Gaffer
ENG....
Northern Superchargers
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
That Rackemann of mine? If it is he's lethal. Probably the hardest bowler I've faced. Looked at all his stats and can't work out why like. Horrible though

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
That Rackemann of mine? If it is he's lethal. Probably the hardest bowler I've faced. Looked at all his stats and can't work out why like. Horrible though

Not sure if he's yours or the one I originally made for the rebel tours. He wasn't fun to face for sure!

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I know what you're wondering - if the AI hit all those 6's, did Dave lose again?

Reader, I did indeed.

The first official match of the Yellow Pages cup saw the West Indian XI (toured 82/83 and 83/84) take on the English XI toured (89/90).

In a pattern that will sound familiar, I batted first and scored at a decent pace, but lost too many wickets and didn't last the overs. This time, instead of regularly through the innings it was all in a cluster, after Broad and Athey shared a 50 stand, I collapsed from 101/2 to 129/6. Although Athey passed his half century on the way to 68, the inns never recovered and I was all out on 30 overs for a sub-par 182. Hartley Alleyne the unlikely destroyer, grabbing a 5-fer.

As you've seen 50's from Kallicharan (captaining in Rowe's absence*), and Trottman took the West Indians home comfortably for a 5 wicket win in 28.1 overs.

You can see the full imgur album of this match here.

The approach I'm taking to selection is for any match involving South Africa, I'm going to choose a real match between those sides and play the line up for that match. For matches involving other teams, I'm going to pick a line up that played a tour match, usually non-international except for the SAB English XI (Gooch rebel tour) as they only played 2 non-international matches. This way I can ensure that most or all players in the squads get to play in this competition at least once. I've also made the decision that John Emburey, who was on both English Rebel tours, will play only for the Gatting side. This is because he hardly played on the 82 tour due to injury, and the SAB XI have Underwood and Willey as other spinners, and the English XI have only David Graveney and the part time leg spin of Kim Barnett.

Last edited:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Lads, I only went and won a game.

Match 2 of the Yellow Pages Cup was the Australian XI (toured 85/86 & 86/87) vs the SAB English XI (toured 1982).

The Aussies, true to their principles of "Elite Mateship", have rotated the squad, including resting Kim Hughes and Carl Rackemann - two of the stars of the warm up vs the Springboks. Graham Yallop comes into the side and captains.

Yallop won the toss and chose to bat, but the Aussies could never get going. Hendrick took an early wicket but was expensive, while all the other bowlers kept it tight. Sidebottom was particularly economical until his figures were spoiled by going for 14 in the last over. The Aussies lost wickets regularly, and made a disappointing 182/7 in their 35 overs.

In reply, England got off to a blistering start with the most un-Boycott like innings from Geoff Boycott, helped by some poor field placement. England were 40/0 off 4 overs and Boycott had 33 of them, mostly from splitting the infield in the covers where there was no protection on the boundary. Yallop whipped off Hogg & McCurdy, replacing them with Hohns and Maguire. It worked immediately, Boycott catching an inside edge that carried to Smith at leg slip.

While the scoring slowed a bit, it was never slowing enough. Gooch couldn't get going, but cameos from Larkins and Willey kept England ticking along nicely. Amiss joined Gooch at 83/3 - 100 runs needed. England needed to capitalise on their start and not lose any more wickets. Gooch was struggling to find the boundary but there were plenty of singles and Amiss was scoring quickly and it was looking comfortable. The partnership went through 50, then Gooch brought up his own 50.

At 171/3 with 12 runs to get and 13 overs left, the only question to be settled was whether Amiss (42*) could get 8 of the remaining runs to bring up his own 50. And then all hell broke loose - Amiss was caught cover trying to hit McCurdy over the top, Gooch edged behind next ball after batsmen crossed, Knott hit the hat trick ball for 4, and run himself out next ball. Sidebottom went next over, and England had gone from 171/3 to 177/7 in the space of 8 balls. Surely they couldn't snatch defeat from the jaws of victory? Thankfully, they were too close for even me to mess this up, and a brilliant 4 from Humpage - piercing the infield and beating the man on the boundary - brought up a victory that was not as emphatic as it should have been.

You can view the whole imgur gallery for this match here.

i.n

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
End of day two. Not exactly going as I'd hoped after we'd batted what I thought was pretty well... Turns out it was probably average at best. Could do with a least one of my seamers turning up tomorrow.

View attachment 242052

Some Nice Batting There Dale88 Hope You Win The Test Mate. Going To Start All Over Again . Either Do The 90/9v1 Ashes Or Thinking Of doing 91 Eng v wI Dont Know What To Do TBH .

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Can't see a way to win from here. It took much longer than I hoped to bowl them out. Meaning I need to score quickly, then knock them over even quicker if I have any hope of winning back the urn. Reckon I'm screwed...

View attachment 242065

Deafeatist. A few helicopter shots and you’ll be 450 ahead by lunch and can get them in with a day and a half to bat. Believe.

Users who are viewing this thread