Stroke/Scoring irregularities

D

DeanoLapaz

Does anyone know how to score behind square, especially on the off-side. IRL a batsman accumulates lots of runs by running the ball down to third man...this shot is available in C2004 yet almost unplayable at least for me...I never make contact.

I feel my batting skills are good enough to warrant a touch on the ball with this shot, as my highest individual score is 174, yet none of these 174 were runs to third man.

Likewise a leg glance, usually goes square or just behind square, yet never to fine leg. I have left the timing as late as possible to execute a fine-leg glance, but I still hit the ball square. I believe this has something to do with my alignment of the batsmen to the delivery. I have to position the batsmen so that the ball is angling towards his bat rather than his pads in order to leg glance the ball...IRL a leg glance from in front of or around the pads invariably goes to fine leg, whereas a leg glance in front of the body can be hit square or in front of square.

It seems the problem the game has in regards to leg glancing is not allowing me to glance off my pads.

Another minor niggle is the pull stroke. The game deems the pull stroke to be a six hit attempt, whereas somewhat perversely deeming the hook stroke to not be a six hit attempt. You can play the hook stroke without the six-hit button, but you cannot play the pull stroke without it...which of course lofts the ball everytime. On the upside it does mean that it sails into the croud more often than not if timed well...however most of the time I want to control my pull strokes.

Thought/Opinions welcome ;)

T

the_gas

Originally posted by DeanoLapaz@Apr 1 2004, 07:55 PM
Does anyone know how to score behind square, especially on the off-side. IRL a batsman accumulates lots of runs by running the ball down to third man...this shot is available in C2004 yet almost unplayable at least for me...I never make contact.

I feel my batting skills are good enough to warrant a touch on the ball with this shot, as my highest individual score is 174, yet none of these 174 were runs to third man.

Likewise a leg glance, usually goes square or just behind square, yet never to fine leg. I have left the timing as late as possible to execute a fine-leg glance, but I still hit the ball square. I believe this has something to do with my alignment of the batsmen to the delivery. I have to position the batsmen so that the ball is angling towards his bat rather than his pads in order to leg glance the ball...IRL a leg glance from in front of or around the pads invariably goes to fine leg, whereas a leg glance in front of the body can be hit square or in front of square.

It seems the problem the game has in regards to leg glancing is not allowing me to glance off my pads.

Another minor niggle is the pull stroke. The game deems the pull stroke to be a six hit attempt, whereas somewhat perversely deeming the hook stroke to not be a six hit attempt. You can play the hook stroke without the six-hit button, but you cannot play the pull stroke without it...which of course lofts the ball everytime. On the upside it does mean that it sails into the croud more often than not if timed well...however most of the time I want to control my pull strokes.

Thought/Opinions welcome ;)
i agree with what you say! I have similar problems against the cpu when i try to play the shot, yet the cpu do it perfectly and cos i never have a third man get alot of runs from it.

D

deadduck

These shots are quite difficult to time.
The secret to playing down to third man is to time the ball as late as possible. It is very easy to play to early and thus miss the ball. Do not play the shot when there are slips as more often than not if you time it too late you will hit the ball to them.

The secret to playing the fine leg glance is to time the ball very early , that is virtually right after the ball is released. It works best with the back foot shot option. It sounds odd and looks odd but it is the only way (at least that works for me).

Your frustration with the pull shot is also shared by many others.

D

DeanoLapaz

Thanks for the advice deadduck...I'll get back into the nets and see if I can run a few balls down into the corner of the nets ;)

I'll also practice an early fine-leg glance....off the back foot.

The shots might be more risky, but in the interests of realism, I'm willing to forego that :)

Cheers

D

deadduck

No prob, it's good to help. I hope you have success.

When I bat I don't really play those shots much unless the stupid ai has loaded the midwicket, cover and straight boundaries.

Users who are viewing this thread