Super 8: 23rd Match NZ v SL

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Super 8: 23rd Match NZ v SL at Trent Bridge

New Zealand: (possible) 1 Brendon McCullum, 2 Aaron Redmond, 3 Martin Guptill, 4 Ross Taylor, 5 Scott Styris, 6 Jacob Oram, 7 Peter McGlashan (wk), 8 Nathan McCullum, 9 Daniel Vettori (capt), 10 Kyle Mills, 11 Ian Butler.

Sri Lanka: (possible) 1 Tillakaratne Dilshan, 2 Sanath Jayasuriya, 3 Kumar Sangakkara (capt, wk), 4 Mahela Jayawardene, 5 Chamara Silva, 6 Jehan Mubarak, 7 Angelo Mathews, 8 Nuwan Kulasekara, 9 Muttiah Muralitharan, 10 Lasith Malinga, 11 Ajantha Mendis.

Cricinfo preview

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Is McCullum confirmed out? But I do feel for you guys, you just can't take a trick with these injuries.

nz0003

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
According to my sources (Howsie), he will not be playing.

irottev

School Cricketer
Sri Lanka will win. There's no way we have any chance. Sri Lanka are a great team and haven't lost a game. They're not going to lose to NZ who are underperforming and have heaps of injuries.

Lets hope that works.

Ari

International Cricketer
I just hope that Pakistan loss gave our guys a big wake up call. Most our guys will probably tough it out and play. 50 for Franklin with a 5 fer.

Mad Snake

International Coach
yeah looks like Broom will come in for McCullum, which is a huge blow :(

Will Taylor be fit enough?

Insomniac

Title Recipient
I actually think New Zealand have a chance at this one... Sri Lanka only have one bowler capable of performing reverse-swing (and one evidence presented he rarely uses it / isn't very proficient at it) - Malinga.

Ari

International Cricketer
I actually think New Zealand have a chance at this one... Sri Lanka only have one bowler capable of performing reverse-swing (and one evidence presented he rarely uses it / isn't very proficient at it) - Malinga.

We are also one of the worst countries at playing spin Murali and Mendis will give us problems if Malinga doesn't :(

Our only chance is if someone like McCullum goes crazy and basicly wins it for us in the first 10 overs or Sri Lanka plays like rubbish.

Max Peters

Club Captain

And which New Zealand bowler can?

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
SL weakness will be in the batting not bowling. If Dilshan fails, NZ will have a chance to bowl SL out cheaply or defend their total. Jaya is still yet to fire though so he is another threat.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
If we want to win this game we have to attack the opening bowlers like it's the last over or something. Mathews and Kulasarka(SP) are their weak links. We need atleast 12-14 runs an over for the first 4-6 overs.

Sartaj

Panel of Selectors
if he plays?
i thought he was ok after the collision with broom.
he has played before with injuries.so,don't worry.baz will surely play today.he's a tough character.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
And which New Zealand bowler can?
They don't. :p

So, 4 overs of Malinga, and if he gets reverse swing going, NZ are screwed. So let's say they got 16 overs to chase... 4 from Mendis... 4 from Murali.

So 8 overs of hard hitting... nevermind unless New Zealand can get their target in 8 overs... they're screwed :p

Users who are viewing this thread