Draft: T20 Leagues | Draft complete | Big Bash League vs Bangaldesh Premier League | Final posted

Akshay.

National Board President
India
Mumbai Indians
Champions League Winner
Profile Flag
India
i haven't followed any league other than IPL
but i would like to try this out, so number 6

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
I would like to get people's opinion on how to balance the IPL team, since India doesn't allow it's players in other leagues, anyone who gets the IPL would be at an advantage since almost none of their local players would be available for other drafts.

As such, I feel like we should either restrict the player playing with the IPL, with
  1. A maximum of 2 overseas players
  2. No overseas players
  3. Just leave it as is, since it's a random draft one player can have the advantage
Any thoughts?

Neptune

Panel of Selectors
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
make all indians available for all the leagues since we are considering the overall t20 record anyway

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Since studies haven't been that hectic, I think I could make time for this. I'm in, with whatever no. Is left.[DOUBLEPOST=1592145607][/DOUBLEPOST]
make all indians available for all the leagues since we are considering the overall t20 record anyway
I think this is a good idea. Makes it fair for everyone.

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
That's an interesting idea that I hadn't considered. But that'll just mean the person with the IPL will go from have a huge advantage to having the biggest disadvantage in the tournament since all of their local players are eligible instead of only a few... I'm going to wait for another 24 hours to see what other people think.

So we have our 8 participants, I'll give it a little more time to see if anyone else wants to join otherwise tomorrow I'll post the draft to let everyone know which team they got

Neptune

Panel of Selectors
Avengers
I think it might work since the IPL is the biggest tournament and has been going on for a long time. This means that many stars that played in the IPL might not have played in other leagues but virtually every T20 star has played the IPL

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
Okay, I think to make things a bit fair, a maximum of one Indian player will be allowed in each other league

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
Now for the moment everyone is waiting for, who gets which league. After conducting the draft on random.org. Here are the results

Country|League|User
India :ind:|IPL| @Aislabie
Australia :aus:|BBL| @CerealKiller
Pakistan :pak:|PSL| @Rabbit Hood
West Indies :wi:|CPL| @qpeedore
New Zealand :nzf:|Super Smash| @NePtuNe Gaming
England :eng:|T20 Blast| @Yash.
South Africa :saf:|MSL| @Akshay.
Bangladesh :ban:|BPL| @ahmedleo414

Now as discussed, previously @Aislabie since you did get the coveted IPL, please make a note of the following rule:

Code:
This applies to the IPL and Indian players, since India doesn't allow it's players to play in any other overseas league, 
the way we will get around this limitation is that each other league can pick one Indian player as an overseas option per team. 
Regardless if they have played for the league or not. 
IPL can still pick up to 4 overseas players as the other leagues. 
This was the only way I was able to balance out the IPL.

I will be posting the draft order shortly

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Luck be damned! I follow all the league in the list except The Blast and Super Smash. Also, the plethora of teams in T20 Blast does make the reasearch even harder. :facepalm

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
The numbers have fallen my way. Or have they? I said I wanted the CPL earlier, and I actually got it. But now I'm a bit concerned. Almost every big player is probably going to be taken away from me. I can name an all-time best CPL XI right now and at least half the squad is composed of people important to at least one foreign team. But I do have the luxury of first pick.

Let's just remove Chris Gayle from the rest of the draft from the outset. T20 cricket? Gayle. It just comes almost without thinking. He has made the format his own and his stats don't lie. In a format where scoring a fifty rapidly is an asset, and scoring a century is a special thing, Gayle just keeps hitting them without any effort at all. The man with the second-highest number of centuries in T20 cricket has 8 centuries. Gayle has twenty-two.

You can argue that those 22 came in more games played. Let's do the math. Gayle scores a century once every 18 innings. This other guy scores a century once every 34.88 innings. That's almost double the number of times at bat for a century.

He hits a boundary once every 4.5 balls. And his 4:6 ratio is 1.05. That's right, he has only barely managed to hit more fours than sixes. Of course, with 1026 fours and 976 sixes that's hardly any sympathy for a bowler...do I even need to say more?

In earlier years he had a weakness for left arm seam. He was unable to negotiate Chaminda Vaas on many an occasion. But with the exposure afforded by playing in almost every T20 league in the world, that has been less of a factor recently. Your best bet against him is to trap him in the crease at the very start of his innings, when his footwork isn't the best. But even in the past few years, he seems content to block a few deliveries to get a feel for the pitch before he unleashes.

All of this coming from a man who, in 2005, required urgent heart surgery to correct a previously-undiagnosed congenital defect which could have killed him. (That's part of the reason why he doesn't bowl as much anymore, or exert himself too hard in the field. Short bursts are okay, but prolonged exertion isn't ideal for him.)

Call him Captain Cool. Call him the Universe Boss. Whatever you do, just don't call him a member of your team. He belongs to my XI.

I could have simply said his name, and nothing else, in this post and everyone would know. But I wanted to do a small amount of further analysis, just to show that his numbers don't just come from the amount of games played.

Qpee's CPL XI (name to be changed)

1. :jam: Chris Gayle :ar:

@NePtuNe Gaming

(EDIT: Grammar and spelling.)
(DOUBLE EDIT: Put in the fancy batter/bowler icon next to his name, even though he hardly bowls.)

Last edited:

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
I think we're pretty spoilt in the Caribbean. The only thing on free-to-air TV is the CPL, but with a basic cable package you get the PSL, IPL, BPL. A premium cable package gives you the English county season (including the Blast) and the BBL. The only leagues we don't get are the Mzansi League and the Super Smash.

Users who are viewing this thread