T20 of the past

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
The idea is to select your team of player of pre-T20 era for a T20 match.

It means, you can't choose any player who plays or has played T20 at international level or IPL and similar level.

My XI will be:

1) Zaheer Abbas
2) Mark Waugh
3) Viv Richards - undoubtedly the most destructive pre-T20 era batsman.
4) Arvinda DeSilva
5) (Keeper comes here)
6) Imran Khan
7) Sir Richard Hadlee - The best man for all-rounder slot.
8) Wasim Akram - for those deadly yorkers at the death. + useful batting down the order.
9) (Someone to bowl the middle overs)
10) Clarrie Grimmett
11) Joel Garner

I don't know much about gone by era so can't decide my team just yet. But I'm pretty sure you guys can. So please, go ahead. I'll follow. :D

PS: Idea is to not pick even the IPL players. That's proper T20 in my view.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Barry Richards
Victor Trumper
Sir Donald Bradman
Sir Viv Richards
WG Grace
Imran Khan
Richard Hadlee
Alan Knott +
Dennis Lillee
Clarrie Grimmett
Joel Garner

Yesh please. That team would mop the floor with most sides, in any form of the game. They'd sell heaps of tickets, be ridiculously destructive with the bat and have a magnificent bowling attack.

khalek

Panel of Selectors
Mark Waugh
Zaheer Abbas (Not sure if he'd be a good opener)
Sir Viv Richards (c)
David Gower
Dean Jones
Ian Healy (wk)
Kapil Dev - He'd be exciting to watch in T20s
Imran Khan
Wasim Akram
Curtly Ambrose
????????? (Spinner)

Last edited:

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
Ok guys, I have a confession to make. I don't have much idea about how good or bad which player played in the gone by era, so cricinfo is the only saviour.

Arvinda DeSilva at no.4
Yea, Arvinda sounds like a good choice from what little I remember of him. :yes Will update first post. ;)

Replace Steve with Mark.

Add Dean Jones somewhere.
Waugh brothers are head-to-head but going by career stats, Mark seems a better limited over player. And to add to that, his off-breaks might be more useful than Steve's gentle medium pace, in my view. - Will update first post. ;)

Dean Jones looks an aggressive player but nothing outstanding to be included in T20 side (atleast thats what his stats say).

Chris Tavar? has to be in there...
He had a Strike Rate of less than 50 in ODIs. Why would you want to see him play T20? :noway

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
Barry Richards
Victor Trumper
Sir Donald Bradman
Sir Viv Richards
WG Grace
Imran Khan
Richard Hadlee
Alan Knott +
Dennis Lillee
Clarrie Grimmett
Joel Garner

Barry Richards seems impressive going by his cricinfo profile.
Victor Trumper sounds more of a Dravid than a Tendulkar. Effective but T20 material? I think No.
Sir Donald Bradman - I've heard he rarely played shots in the air. Would he be 'that' effective in T20 also as he was in tests?
WG Grace - He sounds like a colossal image but fit for T20? I don't really know!
Imran Khan - How could I have missed him. :p
Alan Knott - Anything spectacular about him? Even cricinfo doesn't have much about him.
Dennis Lillee - Oh yes!
Clarrie Grimmett - Never heard of him but he seems like a legend leg-spinner. His accurate bowling is just what spinners need in T20s. I say, he is in.
Joel Garner - Oh yes! The perfect FAST bowler to open the innings and to bowl those toe crushing yorkers at death. Fatal!

Just curious to know how do you even know about these players? Are you a cricket journalist or something? Or are you just old? :D

P

pcfan123

Just curious to know how do you even know about these players? Are you a cricket journalist or something? Or are you just old? :D

KingP is a young guy, he just had a great knowledge of cricket and a fetish for Barry Richards

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Greenidge
Sobers
Don
Viv
George Headley
Botham
(*) Khan
Dev
(+) Knott/Talon
Garner
Saqlain/O'Reilly/Grimmet

Lots of batting depth, 4 fab quicks and a spinner to back them up, with Viv for part time stuff.

Sobers to open is a bit odd, but I think he'll be able to handle it.

lots of batting depth, 4 great quicks, 2 usesful spinners (including Sobers), and Viv for part-time stuff. Good fielding unit too, with Viv, Sobers, Botha,, Dev...

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
5 quality quicks Zorax ;) Sobers' pace bowling is hugely under-rated, he was a fine pace bowler. His pretty mediocre slow bowling ruined his figures, as did being picked too early, and then going on too long with the ball. Sobers in his pomp was a fine bowler, capable of bowling genuinely quickly; just ask Dennis Lillee.

KingP is a young guy, he just had a great knowledge of cricket and a fetish for Barry Richards

Ah, thank ya sir. As Mark said, I'm 20, but I know a fair bit about the game. Basically a novice compared to lots of people, but I know a fair bit; and yes, I do have a fetish for Barry Richards. Was a magnificent player.

Barry Richards seems impressive going by his cricinfo profile.
Victor Trumper sounds more of a Dravid than a Tendulkar. Effective but T20 material? I think No.
Sir Donald Bradman - I've heard he rarely played shots in the air. Would he be 'that' effective in T20 also as he was in tests?
WG Grace - He sounds like a colossal image but fit for T20? I don't really know!
Imran Khan - How could I have missed him. :p
Alan Knott - Anything spectacular about him? Even cricinfo doesn't have much about him.
Dennis Lillee - Oh yes!
Clarrie Grimmett - Never heard of him but he seems like a legend leg-spinner. His accurate bowling is just what spinners need in T20s. I say, he is in.
Joel Garner - Oh yes! The perfect FAST bowler to open the innings and to bowl those toe crushing yorkers at death. Fatal!

Barry Richards was a magnificent player. Incredible eye, quick feet, got himself in the perfect position to play the ball, was seemingly playing in slow motion he had that much time, and he was brilliant technically. He was capable of scoring big runs at a quick rate. He made a triple century on a result pitch at Perth against an brilliant attack consisting of Lillee, Lock and a few others. He also made several centuries before lunch in FC games, and should have made one in a Test match against Australia, but was denied by some shrewd tactics by Bill Lawry if I recall correctly. Richards played a stunning knock in that game though, and was apart of one of the greatest partnerships in the history of Test cricket, alongside Graeme Pollock, they batted brilliantly.

Nah, Victor Trumper was probably the Sehwag of his generation, if we're comparing him to a modern Indian player. He was one of the most entertaining batsmen of his era, capable of ripping teams apart. He was brilliant against the short delivery, and very good on wet wickets. He had magificent hand-eye co-ordination, and unlike many of his generation, he was intent to score off not only the bad ball, but the good ones too. He dominated some fine bowlers, and I'm sure he'd have taken to T20 with ease.

Sir Donald Bradman didn't take too many risks in Test cricket, and it's been said he tried not to play shots in the air, whether that's an exaggeration or not I don't know, but if anyone was good enough to keep the ball on the deck it's Bradman. However, Bradman was more than capable of scoring extremely quickly. Bradman famously made a century in 3 overs. They were 8 ball overs, but even so, he did make a century from 22 deliveries. Here's a quote from the Cricinfo article about the innings:

It wasn't a case of 0 to 100 in three overs, but rather a spell in the middle of an onslaught that brought him 256 runs, with 14 sixes and 29 fours, for a Blue Mountains XI against Lithgow Pottery. When someone called Bill Black came on, Bradman asked the wicketkeeper what was in store. He was told that Black was an offspinner - and had been boasting ever since dismissing The Don in a similar game two months previously. Bad move. Black's first over cost 33 (66424461), then an over from the innocent Horrie Baker cost 40 (64466464). Black's second over leaked 29 runs (16611446 - two of the singles came from Bradman's batting partner Wendell Bill). The chastened Black asked to be removed from the attack, nursing figures of 2-0-62-0 - and The Don had added 100 (out of 102) to his score in three overs.

I'd say Bradman was more than capable of adapting his game to suit T20 cricket. He had the mental determination and a will to win that is surpassed by no-one to have ever played the game. He would have imposed his will on the bowling attack in T20 cricket, and had the talent and mental application to have been as dominant in this form as he was in any other form of cricket he played.

WG Grace would have been an IPL franchises dream. If people think Sachin Tendulkar, Shane Warne and Kevin Pietersen draw the crowds in now-a-days, then they'd have been amazed by the popularity of WG. Fans in the 1900's were willing to pay 10 times as much to see Grace playing than if he wasn't. The young WG Grace was a far different specimen than the one famously seen in pictures too. He was probably one of the fittest athletes to have played the game. It's been said that Grace once played a game of cricket in the morning, scoring 300, where he was forced to run effectively every one of those runs due to the slow and massive outfield; once he'd finished his innings he went off and competed in and won a Marathon-type run across London. He was a seriously fit athlete, and a doctor to boot. He generated incredible revenue, not only for himself, but for organisers of the game, and was a magnificent player to boot. There's no footage of Grace, but from pictures you can tell he had a brilliant technique, and supposedly had some serious power. He was miles better than his contemporaries and would walk into any T20 side AFAIC.

Alan Knott was picked purely for his wicket-keeping abilities. He's regarded by many as the greatest glovesman to have played the game. He was brilliant behind the stumps, capable of standing up to Derek Underwood on wet, or inconsistent wickets with ease. He was quick on his feet and had brilliant hands. The perfect bloke to keep to such a fine bowling attack. He was also no mug with the bat, not that that should matter batting as low as 8.

I slightly struggled picking a spinner for the side, seeing as the guy I believe to be the greatest of all-time, Shane Warne, was obviously unavailable. Clarrie Grimmett was a guy that stood out to me most, though he was taken close by some fine options such as Subhash Gupte (India's finest ever spinner in my view), Tiger O'Reilly, Jim Laker and many others; but Grimmett had a magnificent record, was very highly regarded by his peers and having a leg-spinner always comes in handy in T20, especially one with the variations of a Grimmett. Tops off what I believe to be a seriously strong side that I would love to watch play.

Last edited:

TumTum

International Cricketer
Dean Jones looks an aggressive player but nothing outstanding to be included in T20 side (atleast thats what his stats say).

I think you just contradicted yourself about 2 times there :laugh

Dean Jones was Australia's most aggressive ODI batsmen in that era, if anything he should be ahead of the Waugh brothers.

Users who are viewing this thread