TAOC Special Update(UMPIRES ADDED)

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hello everyone,

the surprise we have been hinting about is this -

NEW PLAYER MODELS :)

Now, before you see the screens, i gotta say a few things...

Q) you probably want to ask why? The old models were ok i guess, so why did we waste this extra time doing new models when we should be coding AI and stuff?

A) Several reasons, all of which totally justify the 2 weeks or so spent. Firstly, look at the comparison between the old and the new -

whoah, massive difference folks! You dont realise sometimes just how much something sux until you see a much better version of the same thing :) Secondly, the new models were based on a semi-professional mesh, so by modding a basic human model into a crickter for use with TAOC we instantly received many advantages:

- saved time building a new one from scratch (only took 2 weeks to fully mod an existing one as opposed to months required to build a 'from scratch' model that would never even come close to this one)

- proper UV mapping (cutting admin time down massively as now only one base texture used for the whole model instead of several different templates. This also makes modding so much easier!

- one texture map per player means that each player can be totally customised! So for example, Ponting could have a particular badge or something on his shirt or pants that no-one else has if you really wanted to do that?? Or if you were really crazy you could mod each individual player's skin tone to be exactly what you want it to be, rather than be restricted to X different skin tones only. You could give a player a unique scar on his arm if you wanted to? This, folks, is really cool - a modder's dream ;) And with the new models, you actually dont mind looking at them up close cos they actually look great lol, compared to the old ones which were a little embarrasing up close. Sorry, but they were. Notice i never used to give many close ups?? :) To put this into perspective, the old system had a unique face for the players, but the shirt, pants, shoes, arms, hands etc were all generic for the team. Skin tones were limited to a selection range of 7 different tones. Now you can really make each player exactly as they should be in real life.

- amazing detail and smoothness for the SAME amount of polygons!! So no performance decrease!

- the old model uvmapping of textures was messed up - any modded kits would likely have come out all wrong unless they followed the same patterns as the old kits. With the new UVmapping templates, anyone can modify a kit and have it come out on the 3d model exactly as it looks in 2D, meaning no nightmare manual UV editing... This point alone is a massive win for us and makes up for the time spent!

- the old model geometry was still jaggy and blocky, in particular the rear of the pants. This is now all fixed - the new models in game are SMOOTH folks, SMOOOOOTH. NO blockiness!

- Lighting and shading looks much better on these models.

- Animation works better because geometry is better designed. Looks smoother, more organic.

- Overall feel of TAOC graphics rises from 'old school' to 'modern'. My unbiased opinion is these player models look at least as good as EA Sports' last offering ;) meaning TAOC can now even match the big boys on the graphics front (to a degree). We wont just be known for our gameplay.

- Ingame kit detail is enhanced and sharper.

- no-one will be able to say the player models look cr@p now ;)

- faces now much easier and predictable results. Previous faces were very hard to get looking ok.

- Fewer textures required and fewer lines of code needed assigning textures.

- new models respond better to next gen shaders than old ones.

====================LM's POINT-OF-VIEW======================

these screens are renders, but until we get you some ingame screens (a week or so from now?) you will have to take my word for it that the models look even better ingame than they do on the renders.

Enjoy. More will be coming soon. Working hard to get them integrated into the game engine and see them replace the old models in game.

Massive thanks to JK for his support and his hard work in redoing all of the kits! The new models actually do his kits justice unlike the old ones ;)

LM

==========================================================

As LM said, we lost count of the hours we've spent in getting this model
close to perfect ! i had to re-do some of the kits from scratch....like Sri Lanka, Australia,England etc and also the vests as they were not up to the mark.....

these are the Renders of Short-Sleeves Fielder.
we'll get you renders of Full-Sleeves as well as short sleeves Batsman
as soon as we can and i hope that you'll enjoy it too !! :)

cheers

JK

Attachments

• ODI BIG1.jpg
    ODI BIG1.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 286
  • TEST BIG1.jpg
    TEST BIG1.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 168
  • VEST BIG1.jpg
    VEST BIG1.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

Kiko_97

User Title Purchaser
Profile Flag
England
Change some test kits though as they are old.

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
Change some test kits though as they are old.

well,i didnt bother as we dont know what they'll be wearing by the time
we release the game....besides kits and stuff can be edited easily...
so it can be done even after the game releases....:)

kersnort

School Cricketer
how much of the game has been completed now then?

legend_master

The Art of Cricket Developer
The sri lankan in the odi outfit looks scary..lol!
by the way
are you using 3ds max to model these players?

Did you read the blurb above? Skin colour is very easy to change. This was just an example that JK whipped up to showcase the new models and kits.

legend_master added 1 Minutes and 39 Seconds later...

how much of the game has been completed now then?

As mentioned above, this update doesn't really progress the game completion total, but helps us out immensely whilst improving the graphics (eye-candy) of the game a great deal. It also helps to re-motivate me to get back into the game coding, which i need when facing the massive bug list i compiled :(

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
This is a stupid question, but just to be sure. The new model in the first picture is the one to the left?

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
This is a stupid question, but just to be sure. The new model in the first picture is the one to the left?

lol the new model is the one to the right....whereas the old one is to the left !! :p.....

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
EXcellent update :clap now the players will look smooth :)

Users who are viewing this thread