Draft: The 2010s - To celebrate the best players during the decade

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
He bowls to the leeefffffftttt, he bowls to the riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, that Mitchel Johnson, his bowling is shite.

But not in that golden period late 2013 to the end of his career in 2015. He blew away England in the Ashes, and he blew away South Africa as well.

He was an iconic bowler when it all went right.

@DalePlaysSports its all yours.

Ed Smith

Gaffer
ENG....
Northern Superchargers
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
Ishant_Sharma_4.jpg

Every team needs a workhorse bowler, and I'm not sure there is a better one available than Ishant - 292 test wickets at 32.68, for a sub-continent based seamer - plus his hair used to be so cool.

3.:nzf: Kane Williamson :bat:
4. :aus: Steve Smith :bat::c:
10.:eng: Stuart Broad :bwl:
11.:ind:Ishant Sharma :bwl:

@AsadRM

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
My next pick is the new star of Australian cricket, MARNUS LABUSCHAGNE. He came in as a concussion substitute for Steve Smith during the Ashes and he has not looked back. In 14 tests he has scored 1459 at an excellent average of 63.43, and he also smashed 2 double centuries recently.

1.:aus: David Warner :bat:
3.:aus: Marnus Labuschagne :bat:
6.:eng: Ben Stokes :ar:
10.:eng: James Anderson :bwl:
11.:saf: Dale Steyn :bwl:

@DalePlaysSports

Last edited:

Ed Smith

Gaffer
ENG....
Northern Superchargers
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
jason-holder.jpg

Cant pass on the current No1 ranked test All rounder. Averaging 32.72 with the bat, and a top score of 202*, equally impressive 106 wickets at 26.37 with the ball. may move up or down the order, but fitting in nicely at 7 atm

3.:nzf: Kane Williamson :bat:
4.:aus: Steve Smith :bat::c:
7.:wi: Jason Holder :ar:
10.:eng: Stuart Broad :bwl:
11.:ind:Ishant Sharma :bwl:

@blockerdave

B

Bigby Wolf

Joe Root
Joe-Root.jpg

Can't Believe He has been missed out so far in the draft nevermind will be next pick.

• Root made his debut against India in Nagpur 2012 on a slowest wicket and immediately showed great grit and determination to score a 73 on debut.
  • In his debut Ashes series (2013) Root scored 1800 in the 2nd test and overall 339 runs.
  • After a Forgettable Ashes Series Down Under (2013/14) Root Made Solid inroads scoring heavily in the next two years - 777 runs at an average of 97.13 in 2014 and 1385 at an average of 60.22.
  • After 2016/17 Season Root was made the Captain of the English Side which did affected his batting as his batting average went to 37 in the calendar year 2019 but recent 200 against New Zealand shows Root is right up there with some of the best in the world.
  • Root Finished the Decade as the 2nd Highest Run Getter.

Root batting position is undecided mostly at 3 or 5 (At 5 he averaged 69 but batted the most at no.3 in his career).
STATS : M - 89 I- 164 R- 7359 HS -254 Avg -48.41 100s/50s - 17/45

BIGBY'S 2010s TEST XI

1.:bat:Hashim Amla:saf:
3.:bat:Joe Root:eng:
4. :bat: Virat Kohli:ind:

10.:bwl:Nathan Lyon:aus:

11.:bwl:Morne Morkel:saf:

@Aislabie With the Double Pick next.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Overall Pick #25: Neil Wagner
Neil-Wagner-form-in-2018.jpg

Like I've been saying, it's bowlers who win you Test matches and I want to keep on building up our bowling attack. So in comes Neil Wagner. Another of my rather unfashionable picks, Wagner might not be the first bowler you think of, but he's statistically two runs per wicket better than his more esteemed colleagues Southee and Boult. He's also deceptively versatile: he made his mark and earned his place in the Kiwi Test side as a pitch-it-up swing bowler, but realised that to excel he had to offer something different. And so he became a workhorse bowler who sought to examine a batsman's back-foot technique the same way most bowlers seek to do with their front-foot technique.

2010s Statistics (46 matches)
:bat: Left-handed batsman
554 runs @ 12.59 (best 47)
:bwl: Left-arm fast-medium bowler
201 wickets @ 26.51 (9 5WI, best 7/39)

Role in the Team

A workhorse change bowler who will put in the hard yards to examine an entirely different aspect of a batsman's technique to anyone else in this side.

Aislabie's XI so far:
3. :sri: :bat: Kumar Sangakkara (Pick #3)
7. :ind: :ar: Ravindra Jadeja (Pick #8)
8. :saf: :ar: Vernon Philander (Pick #17)
9. :aus: :bwl: Pat Cummins (Pick #14)
11. :nzf: :bwl: Neil Wagner (Pick #25)

Next pick:
Myself. I'll be a moment

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Overall Pick #26: Younis Khan
l_141801_083352_updates.jpg

I'm going to stay off the beaten track here and take one of the decade's most underrated batsmen. Technically, Younis Khan was Steve Smith before it was cool. Statistically, he was a marvel in a very similar way: only six men (Kohli, Smith, Cook, Warner, Amla and Williamson) have more Test centuries than Younis Khan in the decade, and of those six, only Smith scored them more often than Younis' one every 3.06 matches. Of all the retirements, controversies and obstacles that have hindered the Pakistan team, none has hit them harder than Younis Khan finally coming to the end of his career.

2010s Statistics (55 matches)
:bat: Right-handed batsman
4,839 runs @ 54.37 (18 centuries, best 218)

Role in the Team

One century machine to bat with another at numbers three and four: the left-hand/right-hand combination of Sangakkara and Younis might not have the same glamour as a Kohli/Smith pairing, but statistically they might be even better.

Aislabie's XI so far:
3. :sri: :bat: Kumar Sangakkara (Pick #3)
4. :pak: :bat: Younis Khan (Pick #26)
7. :ind: :ar: Ravindra Jadeja (Pick #8)
8. :saf: :ar: Vernon Philander (Pick #17)
9. :aus: :bwl: Pat Cummins (Pick #14)
11. :nzf: :bwl: Neil Wagner (Pick #25)

Next pick:
@Bigby Wolf

B

Bigby Wolf

Alastair Cook
images

• Most runs as opener in the last decade and Cook is Statistically the Best English Batsmen ever with over 12K runs and 33 Hundreds.
  • Cook had an outstanding first half of the decade where he amassed runs after runs against all kind of attacks.
  • In 2010-11 Ashes Series Cook scored 766 runs @127.66
  • Led England to an historic series win in India with Cook leading from the front scoring 562 runs in the series.
  • After a loss in form in 2013 and 2014 Cook made a strong back in the year 2015 scoring 1364 @54.65 with the highlight being 263* against Pakistan in UAE.
  • In Boxing Day Test match in 2017-18 Ashes Series Cook scored 244 against Australia and his fourth double hundred overall.
  • In his final appearance Cook went out scoring a match winning hundred against India .i.e. 147.
So Cook will open in my XI alongside Hashim Amla at 3 and Root at 5 as he averages 69.12 at the position.

STATS : M - 111 R - 8818 HS - 294 Avg - 46.41 100s/50s - 23/37.

BIGBY'S 2010s TEST XI

2.:bat:Alastair Cook:eng:
3.:bat:Hashim Amla:saf:
4. :bat: Virat Kohli:ind:
5. :bat:Joe Root:eng:

10.:bwl:Nathan Lyon:aus:

11.:bwl:Morne Morkel:saf:

@blockerdave is up next.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bigby Wolf

You know Amla only opened in one innings in the decade, right?

You'd be better off having Cook opening, then Amla/Kohli/Root at three-four-five
I looked at Amla's ODI stats at different batting position instead of tests. Thanks for reminding.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Misbah Ul Haq is my choice. An inspirational captain, capable of batting 2hrs for 28 or blasting a 56 ball hundred. He will help flesh out my middle order.

think it’s @DalePlaysSports next

Users who are viewing this thread